Review by briellejee -- The Easter Make Believers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
briellejee
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 252
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Last Bush Pilots by Eric Auxier

Review by briellejee -- The Easter Make Believers

Post by briellejee » 01 May 2019, 08:17

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Easter Make Believers" by Finn Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There is only one word that seems to sum up Finn Bell's The Easter Make Believers: unpredictable. Other than giving you thoughts that will keep you up at night, this thrilling novel is also guaranteed to give you faster heartbeats.

Police Detectives Nick Cooper and Tobe White gets an order to rush to a house in Lawrence in what appears to be a hostage situation. The Chen family is being held at gunpoint with five armed gangsters. As the police try to draft a rescue plan, an explosion occurs, killing the suspects but leaving the family intact—except for one. The father, James Chen, goes missing together with the rumored leader of the gang, Remu Black. With no stain on the family's reputation and no visible link to the suspects, the case is surrounded with questions and no answers. As Nick and Tobe set out to find James and Remu, an unexpected and terrifying truth awaits them.

The book was undoubtedly a page-turner. With twenty-four short chapters revolving around one case, it was surprisingly thrilling. The author knew how to reel in the reader's curiosity and never let go of it. Unlike other books, in which they stretch the plot too much just to make it longer, the author knew where to draw line of overly discussing and storytelling. One thing I liked the most was, as the characters chased the probable leads, the book didn't fail in making the readers involved in the process. It was as if the reader was encouraged to solve the mystery and ask questions as well.

Furthermore, the characters were well-developed and well-written. They were relatable and impressive, even the ones with supporting roles. Similarly, the scenes in the book were described exceptionally, especially the shooting scenes. The descriptions were short as to not overwhelm, but vivid enough for the imagination. The law enforcement jargon like "12-10" and "GIC" were also explained briefly and in laymen's terms, making it easier to understand the conversations. This certain feature made the book even more interesting.

Moreover, there were discussions of human behavior inserted in most chapters—which made the book unique and stimulating to read. For example, the author discussed psychological facts about the parent-children relationship. Others may think that these were merely written just to lengthen the plot, but I disagree. The discussions contributed to the character's depth and to the richness of the story. It may seem unrelated to the case at first, but they all made sense in the end. If I were to describe it, it was like piecing pieces of a puzzle: you don't know how the picture will turn out until you're done. When I finished reading and everything was in their rightful places, the result left me in awe.

I cannot say that it was a total suspense, but The Easter Make Believers was definitely worth the read until the very end. Everything was perfectly executed, especially the ending, to the point that it will be engraved in my memory forever. I did not find anything that I disliked while reading. There were few errors such as lack of commas, but they didn’t affect the quality of the book. Thus, I give this a 4 out of 4 stars rating. One thing's for sure: Bell surely knows how to make his readers emotionally invested in his books.

This masterpiece is perfect for people who like both action-driven and character-driven books. I also recommend this to those who are fond of reading police investigations and wouldn't mind the occasional discussion of human behavior. However, if you prefer mostly action scenes and less talking, then you're not the right audience for this book.

Lastly, I give you one of my favorite lines:

"Getting what you want fast must be the biggest single reason for intentionally doing things the wrong way; because playing by the rules will almost never get you what you want right now."

The Easter Make Believers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like briellejee's review? Post a comment saying so!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

Mbrooks2518
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 237
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: Perfect Fairways... Hidden Lies by Robert Marier

Post by Mbrooks2518 » 17 May 2019, 22:16

I reviewed this book too and loved it too. Great review!

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 175
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Mother Love, Willow Lane, Book Two by Ann McCauley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 19 May 2019, 14:16

What a glowing review! This sounds like an amazing action-packed story with great characters as well. I will have to put it on my list to read.

allbooked+
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by allbooked+ » 20 May 2019, 10:09

This sounds action packed and to have the ending engraved in your mind makes me want to read it just to find out what it could be! Thanks for a well written review.

briellejee
Currently Reading:

Post by briellejee » 31 May 2019, 18:23

Mbrooks2518 wrote: ↑
17 May 2019, 22:16
I reviewed this book too and loved it too. Great review!
The end really had me in sobs. :( Glad that you liked it as well. I'll check out your review about this. Thanks for the kind comment and for stopping by! :tiphat:

briellejee
Currently Reading:

Post by briellejee » 31 May 2019, 18:25

unamilagra wrote: ↑
19 May 2019, 14:16
What a glowing review! This sounds like an amazing action-packed story with great characters as well. I will have to put it on my list to read.
I'm glad the review reflected my feelings towards the book while reading it. :D Yes, you should! Thanks for stopping by! :tiphat:

briellejee
Currently Reading:

Post by briellejee » 31 May 2019, 18:29

allbooked+ wrote: ↑
20 May 2019, 10:09
This sounds action packed and to have the ending engraved in your mind makes me want to read it just to find out what it could be! Thanks for a well written review.
I think it impacted me in such a way because of the well-written characters. I wouldn't have felt that way if the story wasn't written as it is. I hope you'll do read it! Thanks for the kind comment and for stopping by! :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”