Review by KitabuKizuri -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Review by KitabuKizuri -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by KitabuKizuri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Final Notice is a work of fiction written by Van Fleisher. The book seems self-published but the cover design is by BookBaby. The author aims to shed light on how the political class tends to push for agendas that hardly benefit the general public. His focus, in this case, is gun ownership as well as the senior citizens' affairs together with health care.

Vince and Trudi Fuller are a retired couple living in the Highlands of Pasadena, California. As they watch television one day, Dwayne La Plant, a chief marketing executive for the National Rifle Association, talked at length about the importance of senior citizens considering 'responsible gun ownership'. This is because they are part of a societal demographic that is considered vulnerable to those who would want to commit crimes of opportunity. Having been insulted by a young man earlier in the day, this conversation became the point of inception for the idea of the couple's idea of owning a firearm.

Meanwhile, Vijay Patel was part of a team pioneering a wearable device that would revolutionize how people would spend their final days on earth. When one is sure of when he or she will die, one will utilize the final days by keeping their affairs in order and saying their goodbyes to their loved ones. At least that was the noble idea behind the product. Some beta testers found other ways to use that grace period, to the point of getting the FBI involved.

Most of this story is told in the third person, with a sizeable chunk focusing on the Fuller's. Through their eyes, we see how regular American senior citizens cope with life in the age of technology and how they are manipulated into making decisions against their better judgment. I liked most how the author weaves between scenes effortlessly, guiding the reader into the minds of different key characters according to their roles without overlooking their backgrounds. I didn't find much to dislike in the book, as it was very easy to read and take in.

I highly recommend this book to those who like thrilling works of fiction (with a hint of sci-fi) which are full of practical information. The author seems to have taken the time to research which laws apply with regard to ownership of firearms and also the workings of the media/press against a big company's PR machinery. It's probably only children who should keep off this book.

The editing is superb. With hardly any errors noted on my part, I rate this book with 4 out of 4 stars. There is a balance of positives and negatives carried by the theme of this book. Overall, there are also a lot of useful lessons that can be gleaned from the story in the book.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like KitabuKizuri's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”