Review by charx1 -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
charx1
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charx1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by charx1 -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by charx1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zakura-kai is a dangerous Japanese gang leaded by Mitsui-san. His sister has been murdered in Mexico, and the suspects are a British married couple: Paul and Sara Lyons. Mitsui-san wants revenge, and he assigns the mission of eliminating this couple to Akira.
Even when Akira is a professional assassin, and has many deaths on her count, she is not doing this mission by her own will. Oka-san, the woman who raised her has been kidnapped and she will be killed if Akira doesn’t complete this job. But, if she successes, Mitsui-san will give her permission to start her life over.

Mitsui-san sends her to a cruise where Paul and Sara are on vacation in the Caribbean with Paul’s nephew, Devon. He also gives her a partner, another Zakura-kai’s gangster, Takashi Hamada. She and her partner go into this cruise, pretending to be father and daughter. But there is no solid proof of the Lyons’ involvement on Mitsui-san’s sister death, everything tells that they just were on the wrong place at the wrong moment. So Akira investigates to achieve truth instead of killing innocent people. She seduces the Lyons’ nephew, Devon, to get closer to this couple. But she can’t help herself of falling in love with Devon, and every moment gets even more complicated.

Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren is the fourth book of the Threads Series, where many plots converge to give a great close to the story. Author gives us a very well narrated story with an excellent use of suspense. Most of the book is told by Devon’s point of view, that ignores the danger that he and his family are envolved. He is madly in love with Akira, and looks at her like she is an angel. So it gets exciting every time that point of view changes, where readers would find the contrast between these worlds in an ironic game. A contrast, between an appearance world, full of banality, luxury, and lust; against a world of revenge, death, and madness.

What I liked the most without hesitation was Akira. She is a very well developed character that shows many faces along the story and author has the ability of making all these faces work in a natural way. She sparks sexuality at every step, but also is a ruthless assassin and she can be very innocent, dreaming about happiness. She makes of herself a whole world. The author has given us a empowered female character through Akira, that displace Devon the main character position even most of the story is told by his point of view. I can’t tell what I dislike the most because I really enjoyed this book, the only thing that comes to my mind is that sometimes some scenes can be a little repeated at the half of the novel, but everytime that you feel that story is not going on there is a little element that gives sense to the scene.

I recommend this book to an adult audience that enjoys both suspense and erotic because there is explicit sexual content. I can tell that this book has been very well edited, and I almost didn’t find errors. That is why I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I’ve enjoyed every moment of reading it. I must emphasize that is very hard to find authors that use narratives tools as intelligently as Kaylin McFarren does on Twisted Threads. Any reader would love this book where every little thing can take a more important motivation through the story. I hope you like it as much as I did.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like charx1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a very suspenseful book. I like books with strong women as the main character. Thank you for a very interesting review!
charx1
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charx1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by charx1 »

Prisallen wrote: 10 May 2019, 15:38 This sounds like a very suspenseful book. I like books with strong women as the main character. Thank you for a very interesting review!
Thanks! I hope you have the opportunity of reading it.
finebunchofnothing
Currently Reading: The Bookshop
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-finebunchofnothing.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by finebunchofnothing »

I absolutely loved this book! Akira has been one of the reasons why I enjoyed it so much, she's such a strong and empowering woman that you rarely see in literature. Thanks for a great review!
And our dreams will break the boundaries of our fear

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”