Official Review: One Final Run by Gordon Mack

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Scerakor
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Planet of Gods Book 1 of Enigma by David Crane

Official Review: One Final Run by Gordon Mack

Post by Scerakor » 25 Apr 2019, 15:17

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One Final Run" by Gordon Mack.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the seedy underworld of drug smuggling, the Mexican cartel run by the infamous El Gato reigns supreme. It is unheard of to double-cross this man, or at least unheard of to do so and still come away alive. In One Final Run by Gordon Mack, the reach and power of this cartel are pitted against the infallible power of family, ex-military camaraderie and friendship.

Jeremy Luca, after getting a bit too far into the world of drug smuggling under El Gato, has decided it is time to get out. Skipping out on a smuggling run, he makes away with $300,000 worth of pure heroin and hides out on a small island in the Bahamas. Unbeknownst to him, El Gato is extremely suspicious of the ruse Jeremy has designed and sends some of the cartel's goons to expose him. Fortunately, Jeremy's brothers (and their ex-military Vietnam buddies) are also on the hunt to find out the truth about Jeremy's disappearance. The race is on, and Jeremy's life is in the hands of those seeking to help or hinder him.

This book boasts a fast-moving and action-filled plot that offers the reader a glimpse into the wholly unforgiving world of drug smuggling. I enjoyed the cat-and-mouse game that Mack provides by matching El Gato's efforts to find Jeremy with that of the Luca family and friends. What I liked the most, however, were some of the personalities involved beyond those already mentioned. In particular, I loved the Bahamian law enforcement officer named Simon. Although he was the only thing resembling a police officer in the area, he was bold, vicious, and absolutely unforgiving of what he colloquially referred to as "druggers." Although many of his actions were significantly over the top, he was a character that provided both comic relief and a shock factor that I have never seen before.

There were a few small things that I didn't like about this book. First, although the writing itself was exciting, it was far from a literary masterpiece. The writer fell short in portraying a masterful picture of his character's environment much of the time, focusing rather on the action and the plot. Another downside, and what I liked the least in the book, was how both El Gato and the Luca family had virtually inexhaustible resources at their disposal. I understand this comes up often in literature, but it minimizes the effect of the story when someone can beckon a private jet, ex-KGB agents, and elite snipers with the wave of a hand. Finally, and this may be a bit nit-picky, but in the world of drug smuggling, I would assume that $300,000 is a relatively insignificant amount of money. I get the impression that the entire book's premise is slightly overblown for the quantity of money involved. I did notice a few errors in grammar and spelling in this book, but it wasn't enough to take away from the story itself.

I genuinely did enjoy the action and plot surrounding One Final Run, and for that reason, I have no qualms about giving it a solid 3 out of 4 stars. If the author were to have shown a bit more literary prowess and if the book was a little more realistic when it came to money and power, I would have not have hesitated to give this novel another star. I wholeheartedly recommend this book to those readers that enjoy a fast-moving plot or enjoy one that delves into the seedy underworld of drug cartels. If you shy away from violence in your literature, I would steer clear of this one.

One Final Run
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!

ElizaBeth Adams
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 85
Currently Reading: The Tattooist of Auschwitz
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Potpourri, Don't Call it Poetry by Rosalyn Rita Nicholas

Post by ElizaBeth Adams » 01 May 2019, 09:25

This book sounds exciting. The action described seems like it would be an engaging read. I think based on the plot described, I would be more likely to watch something like this, than read it. Thanks for your thoughts.

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Ellylion » 01 May 2019, 12:33

Unfortunately, sometimes unrealistic details can ruin otherwise a very good plot. But it still sounds like a solid action book, so fans of the genre would appreciate it, I believe. Thank you for a great review! :)

Amberlynnwade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Amberlynnwade » 01 May 2019, 13:46

This book still sounds like a book I would love to read. I would be engaged on the process of it all. Thank you for your thoughts.

reneelu1998
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: Little Women
Currently Reading: The Alchemyst
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by reneelu1998 » 01 May 2019, 20:40

Sounds like an interesting premise with action. Sometimes it's hard to look past those seemingly little things, I am exactly the same way, especially when doing book reviews! Thanks for the review!

Michgal 32
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 » 03 May 2019, 03:09

The premise of the book sounds very interesting. The amount of money these people are fighting for would also bother me especially given that we are also shown that they have inexhaustible resources. Thanks for the good review

chiefsimplex
2019 Reading Goal: 80
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 17
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by chiefsimplex » 03 May 2019, 06:27

The ceaseless fighting between drug cartels often seem illogical, and I am glad this book did shed some insight and I learned the basics. Despite the shortcomings noted against this action-packed read, I think it still stands out with a brilliant premise. Thanks for such a thorough review.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 58
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: An Unexpected Mess by Marie Washtag

Post by kdstrack » 04 May 2019, 13:46

Getting out from under the cartel's influence would be difficult, indeed. The author seems to have done some research to portray the cartel's workings and the escape. I agree with the weaknesses you pointed out. Great review! Thanks.

Adedayo+23
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: The Third King by Brian D Campbell

Post by Adedayo+23 » 05 May 2019, 08:24

I read the review and start to picture the story as a subplot on an episode of NCIS. Great review.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”