Review by Stephanie Elizabeth -- Twisted Threads

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Review by Stephanie Elizabeth -- Twisted Threads

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When sparks fly between two strangers on a cruise ship, it could either be the perfect recipe for love or the perfect storm. One has honest intentions, but the other is hiding a secret. When things seem too good to be true, they usually are.

Akira is a former geisha turned assassin, working for the Zakura-kai. In a desperate attempt to sever ties with Mitsui, the gang leader of the Zakura-kai, she agrees to one final job. Mitsui`s sister, Keiko has been murdered, and he believes that the person responsible for her death is vacationing aboard a cruise ship. Akira and her fake father, Takashi Hamada, have one job. They must board the cruise ship and kill Keiko’s murderer. Akira is confident that she can get the job done but is thoroughly tested when she begins to fall in love with the target’s nephew, Devon Lyons. To further complicate matters, passengers and crew members are disappearing at an alarming rate. Will Akira be able to finish the job or will her heart get in the way?

Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren certainly lives up to its title, as the book takes many twists and turns before it is all over. The author reveals that she takes great pleasure in trying to weave as many storylines as she can into the book. While numerous storylines are exciting, I found myself becoming confused, especially in the second part of the book.

Addressing various subplots seemed to play second fiddle to Akira and Devon’s relationship. While the author was busy gushing about the budding romance, there were two urgent matters waiting to be addressed. Keiko’s killer was still roaming the cruise ship freely, and several characters were missing or presumed dead.

While I didn’t feel much of a connection to Akira, the most enjoyable part of the book was the author’s portrayal of Devon. He was strong and loyal, but also extremely vulnerable. The author was able to meticulously narrate the inner war that was brewing between his head and his heart. He was quickly falling in love with Akira but didn't want to get hurt. I found this battle to be quite relatable.

While I didn’t notice any spelling errors and the book was thoroughly edited, I chose to give it a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. There was too much going on for my liking, and I felt like the ending was rushed, which provided very little closure.

I would recommend Twisted Threads to readers who enjoy romantic stories. This book is intended for adult readers. It contains explicit sex scenes and mature language.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Stephanie Elizabeth's review? Post a comment saying so!
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

I like the way you introduced this story. I also liked your choice of words while describing the author's ineficiency. Thanks for a great review
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Stephanie Elizabeth

juliusotieno02 wrote: 02 May 2019, 05:26 I like the way you introduced this story. I also liked your choice of words while describing the author's ineficiency. Thanks for a great review
Thank you for your comment! I wanted to love this book, but I just couldn't!
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

I am glad you mentioned the author's disturbing fascination with romantic detail while matters of greater import were left unattended. I also wrote a review on this book and felt that the same aspect a painful undoing of an otherwise superb crime story. Your review is impressively thorough, Thanks for sharing.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Stephanie Elizabeth

chiefsimplex wrote: 02 May 2019, 11:16 I am glad you mentioned the author's disturbing fascination with romantic detail while matters of greater import were left unattended. I also wrote a review on this book and felt that the same aspect a painful undoing of an otherwise superb crime story. Your review is impressively thorough, Thanks for sharing.
Agreed! Perhaps I may have rated the book higher had the author omitted the "love story" altogether. Thanks for your comment!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I have read many reviews of this book. Yours has a refreshingly unique summary, though. "Will her heart get in the way?" I can relate; mine always does, LOL!

Keep writing!
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I've read this one too, and I agree that the romance took the main stage compared to the actual plot itself! Thanks for your review :)
Stephanie Elizabeth

Miriam Molina wrote: 02 May 2019, 20:08 I have read many reviews of this book. Yours has a refreshingly unique summary, though. "Will her heart get in the way?" I can relate; mine always does, LOL!

Keep writing!
Thanks so much for your comment!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Firefawkes wrote: 02 May 2019, 20:21 I've read this one too, and I agree that the romance took the main stage compared to the actual plot itself! Thanks for your review :)
Thank you! I just didn't believe in their love story.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

I've also read the book and I agree with you about the author's portrayal of Devon as strong and loyal. Thank you for this wonderful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”