Review by klkrol -- Twisted But True by Darren Burch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
klkrol
Currently Reading: The Price of Paradise
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klkrol.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Review by klkrol -- Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by klkrol »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted But True" by Darren Burch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From movies and television series to headline news, police are often a central focus. But how often do we get to see what the job and life of a police officer is truly like from their own point of view? In Twisted but True, author Darren Burch provides that opportunity through a collection of stories that take the reader on a journey through his life and career.

The book opens by explaining how Burch was inspired to go into police work – a result of witnessing and attempting to assist in a rescue at the scene of a deadly crash when he was only a teenager. From there, Burch continues on with a variety of stories that provide a purview of both his personal and professional life. Each chapter is its own compelling story, making it difficult to put the book down after finishing each one. Rather, readers will find themselves wanting to pick the book up for just one more.

Burch takes the reader through recollections of events that are humorous, gruesome, heartbreaking, terrifying, or baffling. While one story may have the reader of the verge of tears, the next will leave him/her laughing. Each one ends with a “Twist” that provides insight into Burch’s takeaways, or a follow up on the events therein. The book is well written and reminds us that police officers are human, just like everyone else. Sometimes they make the same simple mistakes we might make, other times they make instant and creative problem solving decisions we might not have considered.

I liked the way that Burch allowed readers into his world, not just as a police officer, but also as a human being. He injects humor into serious subject matter, and allows us to see the ways in which police officers deal with a myriad of situations, many of which are difficult, and the ways in which this can impact their lives.

Twisted but True by Darren Burch has earned 4 out of 4 stars as it is well written in a way that allows the reader to feel like they are really riding alongside Burch on his life and career adventures. The book is intended for a more mature audience, and readers should heed the warning at the beginning of the book advising that it is not for everyone as some of the stories present elements that are graphic in their description of scene investigations and events. I recommend this book to readers that are not bothered by such elements, as it will surely keep them interested and wanting more.

Twisted But True
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like klkrol's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Great job on this review! I agree that while reading this book it felt as if I was a passenger in his patrol car as he recounted the many experiences he had.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”