Review by Salma M -- The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Salma M
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-m.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Review by Salma M -- The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell

Post by Salma M » 19 Mar 2019, 09:19

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Easter Make Believers" by Finn Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Easter Make Believers is a book by Finn Bell that has all the ingredients you need to make an interesting crime and thriller tale. This book takes you through intriguing events that are well crafted for mystery and suspense lovers like myself. Once you dive into the story, you will be left craving for answers as you turn page by page.

Nick and Tobe, who work for GIC which stands for Gang intelligence centre, a national inter-agency task force dealing in organised crime, receive a call from Dispatch at 3:30 a.m. regarding a hostile situation in the small town of Lawrence. They arrive at Lawrence at 4.30 a.m. to find a bunch of cops, medics, fire service and other people in uniforms surrounding a cottage house. Maud McNeilly, a cop, informs them about the situation.

The Chen family consisting of four members; James and Andrea Chen and their two daughters were being held hostage by five gunmen. The reasons for so many people in uniform is because shots were being fired from the house every once in a while. A sniper breach and two explosions later, Nick and Tobe help identify a number of dead bodies, belonging to a gang called Manga Kahu gang, found inside the home of the Chen family.

The two kids of the Chen family are found alive and well but Andrea Chen was shot to the chest. Fortunately, the wound was not fatal enough to kill her though James Chen was found missing and it is up to Nick and Tobe to find the connection between the Chen family and the Manga Kahu gang before its too late to save Mr James Chen, assuming they get to him while he is still alive.

Finn Bell, the author, enlivens this book by creating scenarios that bring out the emotions undergone by real people in uniforms. An example is the character of Nick. Nick and his colleagues go on a search for James Chen but they are unsuccessful, Tobe seems to have accepted the idea of bad things happening to good people and big searches being unsuccessful, therefore, suggesting they do more searches before announcing to the public that they could not find Chen. This does not sit well with Nick who feels no need to lie to people or giving them false hopes, in fact, he is angered by Tobes’ approach and perception. Tobe then explains that in order for the people of Lawrence to feel safe they need to give them false hope.

This is a situation that cops and detectives often go through in real life. They have an obligation to make people feel safe but we must remember they are human beings with real emotions like the rest of us. Failing to catch the bad guy or return a loved one home does not mean they are not doing their jobs well enough.

What I liked most about this book was the ending. The plot is definitely unpredictable and is sure to be completely shocked, surprised and dumbfounded when Nick Cooper finally solves the case and connects the dot to the whole story.

I found two things that I disliked about this book, the first being the chapters titled The Storm. They felt like additional information that I did not need to know and I did not find their relevance to the story. This did not ruin the rhythm of the book for me and I think some audiences might understand their relevance to the story.

The second thing I disliked was that I did not find a character that was particularly interesting to me, which is an important factor for me. I like identifying with a character in any book I read. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying the characters were boring just that they did not appeal to me much. This might be due to the fact that the lead characters were all male whereas I am a woman. This factor might not be the case for everyone so it is not a reason to ignore this book.

I give this book a 4 out of 4 stars since I found it interesting and found no typo, spelling and grammar error whilst reading the book. I would recommend this book for those who love mystery, suspense and thriller novels. For those who are hesitant because of the genre of this book, I would still urge you to give it a try. Finn Bell might change your perspective of mystery novels. You never know until you try.

I would recommend this book for those who love mystery, suspense and thriller novels. For those who are hesitant because of the genre of this book, I would still urge you to give it a try. Finn Bell might change your perspective of mystery novels. You never know until you try.

The Easter Make Believers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Salma M's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”