Review by chiefsimplex -- The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Review by chiefsimplex -- The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by chiefsimplex »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Attuned" by Gary B. Haley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Attuned by Gary B Haley is a sequel. The book revolves around two important characters whose separate stories are similar in theme. Chip Granberry has the ability to foretell future short-term events. He realises that he could make a life out of gambling .In his escapades he meets the love of his life .Shortly ,his romantic life comes down crashing when one day his girlfriend suddenly disappears. It is at this critical point that he is forced to re-evaluate his life. Qian has the ability to cause bodily harm merely by focusing his eyes on a target. He suddenly finds himself on the most wanted list by the FBI and the government of Iran for mass murder. As the drama unfolds Qian’s girlfriend who happens to be a special agent with the FBI finds herself in a tricky predicament. Should she just honestly conduct the investigation and bring in her boyfriend as a criminal or use her privileged position to derail the investigation in order to facilitate Qian’s escape?

This story is so engaging .Several mysteries are dealt with as new ones emerge. For instance, Shannon (Chip’s girlfriend who suddenly disappears) is a mysterious character whose actions and background is left unexplained. I hope there will be a sequel to unravel this particular mystery. Danger is an ever-present element in this book .The author recounts the difficulties and the near fatal encounters he had with the brutal and corrupt officials as he traversed the former soviet territory.

The story has well developed characters .The author gave the readers the opportunity to decide for themselves the key moral issues in the story. One of the most important matters is weather one who happens to have a supernatural gift like Chip Granberry in gambling amounts to cheating. At some point, Chip’s secret gift was becoming conspicuous to an observant security detail and he narrowly escaped seizure by the authorities. At this point, the character appears to have a similar talent of avoiding trouble to that of a movie character in Next by Nicolas Cage.

If one is a fan of adventure then this read definitely has plenty in store. The unique character of Chip Granberry is abundantly adventurous, aimlessly travelling across the country and enjoying himself while spontaneously indulging in his gambling passion. The other intriguing fact about this book is that the reader can choose their hero as there appears to be about three characters that shine throughout the story.

The writer brings to surface; vital philosophic questions within the story and the reader will find fascinating opinions held by certain characters. Among the questions is, whether it is morally right to kill if it is a collective good, in self-defence and in view of perceived material benefit. It is also interesting to know that at some point the two gifted characters met driven by circumstance to combine their abilities. In the nature of the supernatural abilities of the two characters, lies the significance of the book title ‘The Attuned.’

What I enjoyed most in this book is the development of some strong characters such as Nurmuhammet Mammetgeldiyev .This character portrayed outstanding loyalty to a friend while risking his life. He illustrated an objective and clear perception, untainted by the exacting political ideologies of his nation. Although the book is a sequel, I found the story easy to understand .A few characters like Shannon of cause remain a mystery but this also did not detract from my enjoyment. The book bears evidence of thorough editing and I did not notice a single error. I rate this book 4 out of 4 scores and would recommend it to readers who love action packed mysteries.

The Attuned
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like chiefsimplex's review? Post a comment saying so!
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Qian and Chip adventure filled story sounds intriguing. The main characters' abilities is another thing that draws my attention to this book. Nice review.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

Books with strong characters are wonderful. Thank you for your thoughts on this book!
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Sounds like the author draws the reader into their world but can also connect to the reader personally. Sounds awesome!
Spencer Mack
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

The beginning of this review drew me into the story. Having an ability to foretell the future, however dangerous, seems like the perfect gambling tool. I am definitely interested in reading this book. Excellent review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I love the characterization in this book. The ability to tell the future is quite a gift, yet a burden. I'll be checking this book out. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

The story sounds interesting. I had a hard time reading the paragraph of this review though because your transition from Chip to Qian was abrupt. I know you mentioned there are 2 protagonists but then you started talking about Chip and without no transitional format you started talking about Qian...
Thanks for sharing though.
chiefsimplex

Post by chiefsimplex »

prospero360 wrote: 21 Mar 2019, 07:11 Qian and Chip adventure filled story sounds intriguing. The main characters' abilities is another thing that draws my attention to this book. Nice review.
Thanks for commenting
― Frank Zappa
chiefsimplex

Post by chiefsimplex »

Delaney35 wrote: 21 Mar 2019, 08:24 Books with strong characters are wonderful. Thank you for your thoughts on this book!
Indeed characters in this story are interesting,thanks for your comment
― Frank Zappa
chiefsimplex

Post by chiefsimplex »

spencermack wrote: 21 Mar 2019, 11:01 Sounds like the author draws the reader into their world but can also connect to the reader personally. Sounds awesome!
Indeed ,thanks for stopping by
― Frank Zappa
chiefsimplex

Post by chiefsimplex »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 21 Mar 2019, 13:34 The beginning of this review drew me into the story. Having an ability to foretell the future, however dangerous, seems like the perfect gambling tool. I am definitely interested in reading this book. Excellent review.
Absolutely ,dangerous yet exciting. Thanks for commenting.
― Frank Zappa
chiefsimplex

Post by chiefsimplex »

T_stone wrote: 22 Mar 2019, 02:06 I love the characterization in this book. The ability to tell the future is quite a gift, yet a burden. I'll be checking this book out. Thanks for the review.
Sure ,knowing the future may actually get scary especially when all possible outcomes are bad.Thanks for stopping by.
― Frank Zappa
chiefsimplex

Post by chiefsimplex »

Jaime Lync wrote: 22 Mar 2019, 18:45 The story sounds interesting. I had a hard time reading the paragraph of this review though because your transition from Chip to Qian was abrupt. I know you mentioned there are 2 protagonists but then you started talking about Chip and without no transitional format you started talking about Qian...
Thanks for sharing though.
You are right there,there was no smooth transition.I will keep that in mind.Thanks for the observation.
― Frank Zappa
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Where supernatural abilities and moral issues collide, there is great potential for an exciting story. Your review brought this book to life - many thanks!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I like how you pointed out how the reader can pick their hero because everyone tends to value different traits and moral values! Thanks for your review :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”