Review by tanner87cbs -- Gringo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Review by tanner87cbs -- Gringo

Post by tanner87cbs »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis is an awesome read. This autobiography has it all; action, adventure, crime, romance, and friendship. Many times, I had to remind myself that I was reading a true story. It was easy to lose sight of that fact, and think you were reading from a TV script such as the series ‘Breaking Bad’. Starting out with Dan as a college student, up to present day, this book details his life mostly in chronological order. Watch the author reflect on adventure to hardship, with friend and foe.

I really like how nicely the story flowed. The timeline was broad, though easy to follow. It was like sitting back on a beach, drinking a beer, and listening to the narrative of Dan’s life. Catching myself talking back to the author in my head. Thinking, “No way, you have to be kidding me. What did she say”! Truly an amazing story.

The thing that got me the most about this book is how casual the topics are presented. The author seems to have an interesting range of what an acceptable profession is. For example, dealing drugs and running a prostitution ring are spoken of in the same manner as an honest real estate endeavor. One thing is for sure, Dan sure is an entrepreneur! You cannot help but be amazed at the success of his business ventures.

You learn a lot about third world culture reading this book. It really gives you first hand insight of countries like Columbia and Mexico. I am sure that certain situations were a lot more gruesome than outlined in the book. Although, that is appreciated. I cannot, and rather would not want to imagine the full extent of most of the stories. There was overall a good balance to the level of detail for a lot of the stories.

I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Overall, very interesting read. You will go on a trip around the world. Experience all types of people. On a parting thought, I feel the book ended too quickly. I would have liked to have a more verbose lead up to the end of the story. Most of the book is told in a lot of detail, then BAM! Book over. Still I enjoyed the book very much. I would recommend this book to readers who like shows like ‘Breaking Bad’ or movies like ‘Catch Me If You Can”. The foul language was not too bad. Still I would like less foul language, but that is personal preference.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like tanner87cbs's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”