Official Review: Issac Montgomery Nemesis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: Issac Montgomery Nemesis

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Issac Montgomery Nemesis" by Steven Anthony Bartlett.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nemesis, by Steven Anthony Bartlett, is the second volume of a trilogy about the life of Isaac Montgomery. The story picks up where book one ends. It is a relatively short read coming in at only 130 pages.

Isaac is drawn more and more into the fast-paced business world that he had tried to abandon. A sense of duty obliges him to strive to fulfill the promise he made to his uncle to run the Von Horns’ company. He pledged to spend more time in Scotland with his wife, Beth. They planned their wedding and wanted a family. Tragically, Beth suffered a health crisis and went into a coma. While she was incapacitated, Isaac returned to London to attend to his uncle’s company.

Isaac soon realized that he was now the focus of the evil plans of other greedy characters. His future CEO position in the company had made others envious of his fortune. One wealthy woman, who professed to love him, pursued Isaac. She skillfully spun her web around him and slowly began to draw him in for the kill. Can Isaac remain faithful to Beth? What if she never awakes from her coma? Is fate pushing him towards a woman who knows the business world and can help him succeed in his uncle’s business?

In this second installment of the series, Isaac’s moral dilemma has deepened. He is nearing the crisis stage. The author describes the allurements of each side of Isaac’s predicament. The third person point of view helps readers envision both the positive and the negative aspects of the situation. The skillful contrast developed between the two women and the constant twists and turns of the story increased the intrigue. I enjoyed the character development of both Beth and Isaac in this volume.

The author maintained a suitable balance between the two settings of London and Scotland, building up each situation while increasing the suspense of Isaac’s dilemma. Nemesis is the middle book of the series. As the bridge between the beginning and the final volume, it is difficult to read as a stand-alone book. The author built heavily on events from the first book and finished with an open ending that introduced new characters for the final volume.

There was only one thing I disliked about this book. The grammar and spelling errors were numerous throughout the entire text. In several places, the word 'women' is confused with 'woman.' Some misspelled words had to be deduced, like “granger” for grandeur. I found this disappointing as I enjoy this author’s writing and the compelling story development.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Once again, the writing and the plot development were enthralling, and the twists and turns kept me wondering what would happen next. The numerous grammar errors forced me to lower the score. People who favor suspense and mysteries would enjoy this book. The setting of Britain and Scotland might intrigue readers interested in learning more about these countries.

Issac Montgomery Nemesis
View: on Bookshelves

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

The story sounds interesting except for the grammar error. Great review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I do like suspense and mysteries, so it sounds like a book I would like to read. I do wish the grammar errors were less, though. It makes it a little less appealing. I enjoyed your review!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

It's sad to see grammar get in the way of a perfect score. Nonetheless, Isaac seems like a hero to watch. I wonder what will happen next.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The story does sound interesting. I'm curious to see what happens. I love a good mystery/suspense from time to time. I'll look into this one further. It's too bad about the errors, but they can usually be fixed easily. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Sounds like an fun and exciting story, and I always love books set in other countries. I haven't read the first book of the series so I will pass on this one, but thanks for a great review!
HershyGreenwood
Currently Reading: A Storm of Swords
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hershygreenwood.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by HershyGreenwood »

This book or rather the series sounds interesting, albeit the grammar and spelling issues.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

This story sounds very exciting. I love the way you have described characters and their actions in your review! Well done!
Spencer Mack
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Poor Isaac sounds like he's really caught in the middle. I'm not really into mysteries but I do hope he's able to successfully resolve his predicament! Thanks for the review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Nyambura Githui wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 06:08 The story sounds interesting except for the grammar error. Great review.
I love this author. The story is great. Thanks for commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Miriam Molina wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 21:30 It's sad to see grammar get in the way of a perfect score. Nonetheless, Isaac seems like a hero to watch. I wonder what will happen next.
I share your sentiment and hope to finish the last book soon. Thanks for stopping by.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kandscreeley wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 07:44 The story does sound interesting. I'm curious to see what happens. I love a good mystery/suspense from time to time. I'll look into this one further. It's too bad about the errors, but they can usually be fixed easily. Thanks.
I disliked the errors, but the story line motivated me to choose the second book in this series. I know how I am hoping the series will end, but this author has a talent for using twists and turns that he has me wondering! Thanks for commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

unamilagra wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 08:47 Sounds like an fun and exciting story, and I always love books set in other countries. I haven't read the first book of the series so I will pass on this one, but thanks for a great review!
Thanks for commenting. I appreciate your encouragement and kind words.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

HershyGreenwood wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 10:27 This book or rather the series sounds interesting, albeit the grammar and spelling issues.
Yes, I agree. The story kept my interest and even motivated me to go on to the second book, (and now the third!) This author has impressed me. Thanks for stopping by.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

spencermack wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 16:02 This story sounds very exciting. I love the way you have described characters and their actions in your review! Well done!
Oh, thanks for your kind and motivating remarks. I just did a back flip - (mentally!)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”