Review by LeeleeByoma -- Gringo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LeeleeByoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeleebyoma.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Review by LeeleeByoma -- Gringo

Post by LeeleeByoma »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive is a true story of the adventures of Dan “Tito” Davis as written by Dan “Tito” Davis with Peter Conti. The author begins a career in narcotics by selling “White Crosses” in South Dakota and fooling the users into thinking they are buying Methamphetamine when in fact, they are getting Ephedrine; a legal drug at the time. He expands his business when he goes to school in Las Vegas and runs a smooth operation until he begins dealing in cocaine. He finally gets arrested for a crime which he did not commit and rather than face the law, he flees into Mexico. His adventures take him to Venezuela, Bali, Spain and many other cities in which he manages to experience all the trouble there is to experience. He also experiences romantic love and friendship.

Something has to also be said of Dan “Tito” Davis’s business acumen. First, he made a fortune back in the United States, albeit illegally. Throughout his adventures while on the run, he never lost track of his goal to stay ahead of the Feds and was constantly on the move yet, he still managed to launch a successful business. Then let us not forget this book, which is another smart business move. It occurs to me that the author is one of those people who can thrive almost anywhere.

Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive gives you a glimpse into the author’s sense of humour right from the prologue and lets you know that you’re about to go on a fun ride. The author’s adventures read like a cocktail of Narcos, Queen of the South, Sicario and literally every story you ever heard about narcotics except this is not a brilliant work of fiction; this actually happened to Dan “Tito” Davis. I found his experiences with corruption highly relatable since I live in one of the most corrupt countries in the world and also experience it on a daily basis among law enforcement and government officials.

A couple of things I like about this book are the author’s matter-of-fact way of narrating his story with a large dose of humour and his extremely visual storytelling. One really sees the story, the places and all the characters while reading the book. He also takes responsibility for his actions without making excuses for them. The one thing I didn’t like is the occasional divulging, by the author, of certain events which were yet to occur because that took away a lot of the suspense for me.

Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive was well edited but a little more structure to the storytelling would have done wonders. Still, it keeps the reader enthralled and personally, I could hardly put it down. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and would gladly see it in theaters if the movie were to be made. However, I understand that this is not a book for everyone so, if you are averse to topics of drugs, corruption and prostitution, or just unable to see past your displeasure at said topics long enough to enjoy a good story, you should probably stay away from this book.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LeeleeByoma's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”