Official Review: Goodnight Irene by James Scott Byrnside

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miss_BeckyG
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 1129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Re: Official Review: Goodnight Irene by James Scott Byrnside

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

Fantastic review Helen_Combe. I really like how you brought the book to life. The review certainly convinced me to add the book to my tbr list. A murder mystery worth reading and enjoying to the last page.
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I love the sound of Agatha Christie at her most devious. Whodunnits are thrilling when done right and I believe this book would leave me satisfied. From the case at hand to the detective banter, I love everything I have heard about the story. I hope I can't solve it too easily, as I definitely enjoy a mental challenge. Thanks Helen for an outstanding review.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

Glad that you enjoyed this book! Judging from the fact that it's a locked-room whodunnit, I think it would be exciting to read. Love crime mysteries. Great review!
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This is a great review. I like how you give a clear concise description of each aspect of the story including the characters and their relationships. I love murder mysteries and this definitely sounds like a fun read.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

This was such a great review and I love how you formatted it. I know a lot of people who love mysteries and this one sounds like a great pick. It sounds intriguing and it's great you enjoyed it.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I love this review. I think the book sounds great. I like that the detective's confidence was shattered in the last case but this case draws him back. It seems like an interesting mystery, and I like that it is kind of a two-in-one. It doesn't thrill me when history isn't properly researched, but it sounds like the story makes up for that. Thank you for the fun review.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

Great review! I've read part of this book and I'm really liking it so far. I look forward to reading the rest and finding out who dun it!
tanyas33
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanyas33.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by tanyas33 »

Your review was very cool and entertaining to read! I'm so glad you enjoyed this book! I myself am a huge fan of Agatha Christie so I was so pleased to hear that this book emulates her at her finest. Love the very well developed and complex characters introduced within the story, and of course the suspense and mystery of the novel is very captivating. I also love that this novel is a blend of both rich and well-researched history as well as classic mystery. Awesome review, I can't wait to read this book!
James Alexander
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-alexander.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by James Alexander »

This review is rich in detail and was creatively written. I like reading crime and mystery books because of their action and suspense. I'll like to read this one. Thank you for the review.
drackeye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drackeye.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: slredirect

Post by drackeye »

I'm not normally one for crime mysteries though I do like a good puzzle. You almost had me wanting to read it myself with your opening statement. Good job. I might have to look this one up still yet. Sounds like a real thinker.
"Always do your absolute best in all that you do. Especially when you don't want to."
"If you cannot be proud of the job you did when you are done, you wasted your time."
Seraphia Bunny Sparks
Currently Reading: Lying Lainey
Bookshelf Size: 653
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seraphia-bunny-sparks.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B01J94T4R2

Post by Seraphia Bunny Sparks »

Thank you for the engaging review! When I first saw the cover for this book, I didn't think it would interest me. The drawing didn't appeal to me, but after I read the blurb I was interested. Your review hooked me after the first two sentences. I was literally smiling. This book sounds like the perfect mystery novel for me. I love the locked room who-done-it and I am looking forward to reading this book!
Festus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-festus.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Festus »

Goodnight Irene could be another treasure not only in the book shelves of Agartha Christie's fans but also among Chase's admirers. In this sense, Rowan Manory is likened to the famous Tom Lepski of Paradise City Police. Traditionally, world class detectives undertake breathtaking and painstaking tasks. Hence, the emotion that is being associated with the protagonist job.
Goodnight Irene is a nice one but nicer still is the dissection done by Combe. Great review indeed.
azerikaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azerikaj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by azerikaj »

Read a lot of mysteries... wasn't really sure what "locked- room" meant, will see if I like this one.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

This is an excellent review. Can't say I really got the urge to read this book based on its cover or premise, but your write-up was what sold it for me and made me pick it up and read a few sample pages. Now I'm glad I did, because I'm intrigued by the set-up and premise!
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

What a fun review! I’m a big fan of Agatha Christie, and it sounds like this book is very similar to her work. Looking forward to this mystery!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”