Official Review: A Strange Boy by John L Jewell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Official Review: A Strange Boy by John L Jewell

Post by kwahu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Strange Boy" by John L Jewell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Strange Boy by John L Jewell is a C/T/M/H novel that plunges the reader into a world of conspiracy, murder and suspense to relate the story of a young boy who has taken the world by storm with his paranormal gifts. Leslie with his sister Mary are brought to ‘The Sir Giles Woodford Village for Children's’ where they meet with the dean, Sir Alastair Woodford, who orients them to their new home as well as updating them on their parents' whereabouts. Their lives are extremely shaken when they learn that a telegram from the army commanding officer had arrived, stating that their father, Will Johns, (one of the army soldiers) is presumed dead or captured. Apparently, their mother's whereabouts are unknown after her divorce from Will Johns.

It doesn't take long before it dawns on Mary and Leslie that all the children in the Village are uniquely gifted, and orphans whose parents were involved in mysterious deaths or are reported missing. While the reader is wondering whether or not Sir Alastair has a hand in the siblings' state of being orphans, the story gets a new twist. Leslie discovers that he can float above his own body and travel to any place his thoughts would take him. In his out-of-body state, he can hear, see, and can only talk to people who are able to see him. The discoveries that Leslie makes won't let the reader put the book down.

As I was confirming to read this book, I was rather pessimistic I would enjoy the reading. However, the prelude piqued my interest and the rest was a journey of discoveries. The book has a brilliant character development and a plot full of intrigue and suspense. While the author is not in a hurry to put the pen down, the reader is kept guessing and yearning for answers all through.

What I like about the book is that though the plot has many characters, the author is able to get all of them function without making the book feel congested. The different scenes make it easy to manage the characters that the author has grouped according to their functions. For instance, there is the Press, the Hospital, the Asylum, the Children and then Sir Alastair with his team. Each scene ends in suspense and leaves the reader more engrossed and at a cliffhanger. Murder, conspiracy, love, Trust and suspicion are the main themes that make the book interesting keeping the reader glued to the end.

Enthralling as it is, the book didn't lack some setbacks that attracted some demerits to it. I noticed that the transition from some of the scenes to the next is too abrupt that the reader is somewhat confused, especially when Leslie is having the out-of-body experiences. There were also errors like missing words, misplaced words, awkward sentences and multiple grammar errors. For instance: the author wrote "…the had dean…" instead of "…the dean had…," "…when he reached the it…," "…I have no idea much they are worth…," "Neither or…" instead of "Neither nor"

Owing to the aforementioned errors, I award this book 3 out of 4 stars. A few gory scenes make the book not appropriate for young readers. However, if you love reading about thrilling murder conspiracies, then you will appreciate reading this book.

A Strange Boy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kwahu's review? Post a comment saying so!
kitoo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kitoo »

I like the book.Excellent
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

I'm not sure this book will be an interesting pick for me. While I like the story line, grammatical errors in a book could be a turn off for me. Nice review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

kwahu wrote: 18 May 2018, 06:43 However, the prelude piqued my interest and the rest was a journey of discoveries. The book has a brilliant character development and a plot full of intrigue and suspense. While the author is not in a hurry to put the pen down, the reader is kept guessing and yearning for answers all through.
This passage made me very excited to read this book. Thanks for the warnings about some of the awkward language and the "gory" scenes, but I think I am too curious about this book NOT to read it. Thanks for the intriguing review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I love it when a book surprises me. Like you, I have chosen a book wondering if it will hold up to my expectations. And, what a wonderful surprise when it does. It sounds like this story was put together quite nicely and a little clean up is all that’s needed to make it even better. Sounds like a good one.
Everything happens for a reason...
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks for the comprehensive review! It seems like an interesting and fast-paced read.
togormey
Currently Reading: Dodging Satan
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-togormey.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by togormey »

Wonderful observations there, well done.
With such intriguing storyline 4 stars wouldn't have been bad at all. Anyways, kudos!
For what shall it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul?
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I am the type that judges books by their covers *hides face*. And that cover does not appeal to me at all, but thanks to your review, I might just try this book out!
omomudu1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by omomudu1 »

Thank you a for wonderful review.Well organize
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like a great paranormal story - kind of Mutant Xish. I love the premise.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

The book maintains the attention of the reader as much as your review. I will go for this book. Thanks for the thorough review.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

This book's premise is incredibly interesting--it reminds me a little of the Ms Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children series, actually. XD I'm sorry about the editing errors, though, although i might still add it to my to-read list!

Thank you for your review--it was very detailed, and i found it really helpful :)
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen

Post by mumoscar »

Maybe the grammatical errors will hold me from reading the novel. The story-line is great anyway. nice review

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”