Official Review: The Boogie Woods by Terry Burns

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Official Review: The Boogie Woods by Terry Burns

Post by k2rugman »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Boogie Woods" by Terry Burns.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Boogie Woods by Terry Burns is an adventurous story about a young man seeking out a colony of Bigfoot. His efforts create friends and enemies that both have a lasting impact on his life. This book was an interesting and exciting thriller that would entertain all ages.

Scott Boone encountered his first Bigfoot when he was just eight years old. Rather than run away in fear, his interest was sparked. This ignited a lifelong determination to not only see more Bigfoot, but to learn their culture as well. After graduating college, he met a group of people who would go on yearly excursions to find the mysterious creatures. After several encounters, the Bigfoot colony eventually accepted Scott as a friend. Unfortunately, not all who search for the Bigfoot are as kind as Scott. After two ne’er-do-well hunters go missing, hoping to bag themselves a Bigfoot, a manhunt led by a malicious cop puts both Scott and the Bigfoot colony in danger.

This book was a pretty fun read. The story was compelling with well rounded main characters. The chapters were short which made reading easy and quick. Although this book is categorized as a thriller, there wasn’t anything too intense for young adult readers. I liked that this book was written in first person. This perspective felt like I was reading Scott’s journal which made the events feel more real and exciting. It made me want to go on my own adventure in the woods. There was also a nice little twist toward the end which added a little more excitement.

Despite being as enjoyable as it was, there were some faults. I noticed significant grammar issues that made the sentence flow a little awkward. Some misplaced quotation marks and commas sometimes made it difficult to know who said what. I felt that there were several side characters that added nothing to the story and were forgotten after the chapter ended. The writing style felt like a first or second draft which could use some content editing. Unfortunately, these issues had a significant impact on my reading experience.

I give Boogie Woods by Terry Burns 2 out of 4 stars. The story was fun and exciting. The personification of the Bigfoot colony was interesting. I would easily give it three stars if the grammar issues and content were cleaned up and polished. Despite these issues, anyone looking for a quick adventure in the back woods would enjoy this book.

The Boogie Woods
View: on Bookshelves

Like k2rugman's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Your description of the plot of this book is a little reminiscent of Tarzan to me. It sounds like it’s more of an adventure than a thriller. Your review gives me a better idea of what to expect from this book, so good job!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I don't think I've read about someone seeking out (much less finding) a colony of bigfoot. It sounds like an intriguing idea, but since it was so poorly executed, I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Man, what a bummer! I was totally enthralled with the cover, title, and your first few paragraphs. I too have always been fascinated with stories of not just Bigfoot/Yeti, but also Nessie and the Bermuda Triangle. Then, I read about all the mechanical issues. As interesting as the idea may be, I don't know that I want to trudge through yet another story so rife with grammatical mistakes. Thanks for the warning.
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

I enjoyed your review! I agree with a poster below that it sounds like quite an adventure story, and I don't think I've ever read anything with a Bigfoot theme before :) Shame about the editing, hope the author does a little more work on it. Thanks for your review!
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

I appreciate you being honest about the book's faults. Big errors, like you describe, can really put a damper on the reading experience, but I am tempted to read this one because the idea/premise of the book sounds really cool.
"There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner.”
– Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”