Official Review: Pocket Dial by Sandy Magner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Pocket Dial by Sandy Magner

Post by jwalker73 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pocket Dial" by Sandy Magner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pocket Dial by Sandy Magner falls into the crime fiction/mystery genre. This novel follows the story of Jennifer Burns, affectionately known as Jen. She is the mother of two teenagers, has experienced two divorces and has recently entered a relationship with Dylan, an extremely attractive young man, 15 years her junior. She falls under his spell, amazed that someone so gorgeous and youthful could like an older woman like herself.

One day, Jen’s cell phone rings. She recognises Dylan’s number and answers. He does not talk back. Realising he must have pocket dialed her number, she is about to hang up. Then she hears voices. She listens…and what she hears will change everything.

This story begins at the local station, where Jen has just endured three hours of relentless questioning by police. They want to know more about that phone call and believe it holds the key to their investigation. Dylan has been arrested for the suspected manslaughter of Tommy, his friend’s young son. Police believe that Jen is the only person, aside from Dylan, who truly knows what occurred that day. They want her to tell them what she knows, but Jen does not want to answer. She has many questions running through her head and needs time to think things through. Did she really hear what she thought she did? Could Dylan be capable of such a thing? If she tells the police the truth, will she lose Dylan forever? Contemplating this last question causes Jen the most distress. She finally feels happy with her life and is not particularly willing to give this up. Torn between her head and her heart, Jen must decide what to do.

To help guide Jen towards making the right decision, she seeks advice from those people closest to her: John, her ex-husband and the father of her children; Kat, her loyal, humorous and lifelong friend, and Lauren, her daughter, who is both intelligent and on the brink of adulthood. Pocket Dial invites the reader to follow Jen’s journey as she struggles to choose which path to take. Will she take the path of morality or the one of unconditional love?

When I first read the blurb, I was excited about reviewing this book. The plot sounded amazing and I could not wait to begin reading. The first few pages immediately grabbed my attention. The detailed description of what Jen was feeling during the interrogation, both physically and emotionally, allowed me to experience the hostile environment Jen was being subjected to. This was my favourite part of the novel. Unfortunately, from here on, the level of detail seemed to deteriorate.

Another feature I enjoyed was the way the author combined the present story with frequent reminiscence of the past. This was an effective way to provide the reader with a background of both Jen’s relationship with Dylan and some of the factors which had influenced her life choices.

Written in the first-person from the viewpoint of Jen, this book proved to be an easy read. The spelling was faultless, the style was fluent, and the book could be devoured in one sitting. There were, however, a few grammatical and formatting errors. The beginning speech marks were omitted once, as were the comma and space between the words “thisI“, which should have actually read ‘this, I’. Regarding formatting, one indent persisted throughout a complete paragraph rather than returning to a full-length sentence on the next line. There was also a paragraph that started with a double indent. Overall, these errors were infrequent and did not interrupt the flow of the novel. An additional mistake I noted was that, at one point during a conversation, Jen was referred to as Kat. I also found a possible contradiction in the story. Initially, Jen spoke of losing her innocence through date-rape, stating the perpetrator was a handsome basketball player. She sounded amazed that he had wanted to go out with her. Later in the story, however, Jen tells of losing her virginity to her boyfriend after being together for a year. Admittedly, I am unsure if ‘innocence’ referred to her virginity or not, but that was the way I read it. Further clarification about this would have been of benefit since it was relevant to the storyline.

There were a few aspects of the book that I struggled with. I found I had difficulty forming a bond with many of the characters. Even towards the end of the book, there was not one character I felt particularly close to or able to empathise with. This was a new experience for me and I felt somewhat disassociated from the story due to this lack of connection.

Jen was one of these characters. I can honestly say I have never been so frustrated by a protagonist. For the first half of the book, I thought she was a self-centred, immoral and generally pathetic woman. During the second half of the story, while I found her more tolerable, I still did not really warm to her. I think this was partly due to lack of depth when describing the protagonist’s thought processes and emotions. Jen’s reasoning seemed very superficial, leaving the reader without much insight into the inner turmoil and raw emotions someone in her predicament would (hopefully) be facing. A more detailed description of the rationales steering Jen’s choices may have enabled the reader to have more understanding and patience with this woman.

Kat was another character I had difficulty taking to. While she offered Jen guidance, I found her sense of humour somewhat distasteful. An example of this was during Kat’s conversation with her dog, Brandy. She would ask Brandy a question, then answer herself in a different voice to portray Brandy’s reply. When discussing Dylan’s arrest for Tommy’s manslaughter, Kat responded in her dog-voice, “Did he at least eat him after?”. While said in humour, I found this quite disturbing considering they were discussing the death of a child. I am unsure if this character’s purpose was to lighten the mood of the novel, but I found it ended up trivialising the gravity of the situation.

Unfortunately, I did not always find what I was looking for in this novel. I loved the basis of the plot and felt it had the potential to go in many directions. I expected the novel to be full of suspense, or maybe even a thriller, however, I found the story quite predictable and lacking in edge-of-your-seat moments. There were a couple of small twists, but nothing that made this story stand out from others I have read.

Overall, this book was a quick read with a well thought out plot, however, I felt the story could be improved with additional editing and more elaborate descriptions at certain points. While I enjoyed the book as a source of entertainment, I did not feel I was invested in the characters. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, based on content alone. If I had been able to take a further half a star off for formatting and grammatical errors I would have, however, the story itself was better than ‘fair’, so to deduct a whole star would have been unjust. Pocket Dial would suit people seeking a crime fiction novel that contains minimal graphic content, mild levels of suspense and a more character-driven focus rather than one on the criminal investigation itself. This book also contains occasional mild sexual content and profanities. Readers seeking a fast-paced, gripping read, complete with graphic detail and in-depth detective work, would probably be better off giving this book a miss.

Pocket Dial
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jwalker73's review? Post a comment saying so!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Thanks for the thorough analysis. I'd seen this one on the list and thought about reading it, but wasn't fully persuaded. I see from your review that it may've been the right decision, though I still may check it out when I don't have anything better to do. Too bad about the lack of enough character development for you to really feel invested; I too find that it's a necessary part of a story for me to really be "all in".
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds quite interesting. I read something somewhat similar to this one. Despite the drawbacks, it seems like it is a pretty good book. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for the thorough review. I was captivated by the book until I got to your discussion on the characters. I think I will pass this one.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Joel Dagupan
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Joel Dagupan »

I love this book and i read it alot of times.
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

These are the kinds of reviews that make me fully appreciate the existence of review websites. I think the premise is awesome: it is a thoroughly contemporary opening to a mystery that could only exist in the 21st century. How cool is that?! However, as soon as you started talking about your issues with the protagonist, I knew this book was not for me. Faulty or shallow protagonist's are a huge pet peeve of mine. Hopefully this is an author who recognizes her only brilliance enough to trust editors and proofreaders in the future.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I feel your frustrations. This must have been a difficult book to read. With a little more effort, it could have been a great book.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
MLove83
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mlove83.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by MLove83 »

Thank you for your review. I, too, was captivated by the summary but feel unsure after your description of Jen. I guess I'll do like another person said and add it my "read when I don't have anything else" list.

Regarding your issue with the innocence/virginity discrepancy, do you feel that it was an oversight by the author? Or just that the author failed to keep the reader "in the know"? Does Jen specifically say that the rape happened before she slept with her boyfriend?

Innocence can mean almost anything. I mean, obviously it can mean various physical acts, but it can also mean that mentally/emotionally, she lost her naivete. I know that for me personally, I remained "innocent," as in "trusting," for a few more years after losing my virginity. Even the definition of virgin is actually somewhat ambiguous. Because of this, many rape survivors don't refer to their assault as losing their virginity. So is it possible that "losing her virginity" meant the first time she voluntarily had sex?
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jwalker73 »

MLove83 wrote:Thank you for your review. I, too, was captivated by the summary but feel unsure after your description of Jen. I guess I'll do like another person said and add it my "read when I don't have anything else" list.

Regarding your issue with the innocence/virginity discrepancy, do you feel that it was an oversight by the author? Or just that the author failed to keep the reader "in the know"? Does Jen specifically say that the rape happened before she slept with her boyfriend?

Innocence can mean almost anything. I mean, obviously it can mean various physical acts, but it can also mean that mentally/emotionally, she lost her naivete. I know that for me personally, I remained "innocent," as in "trusting," for a few more years after losing my virginity. Even the definition of virgin is actually somewhat ambiguous. Because of this, many rape survivors don't refer to their assault as losing their virginity. So is it possible that "losing her virginity" meant the first time she voluntarily had sex?
I am unsure, which was why I made the comment. I totally understand what you are saying and the thought had also crossed my mind, which was why I said it was a 'possible' contradiction. The sentence about her boyfriend was just a random statement near the end of the book, when she was comparing older and younger generations. It was not even relevant to the story, unlike the assault, but it just sort of stuck out. If the comment had not been made it would have made no difference to things but, by saying it, it made me question something I would otherwise not have!
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

It’s quite interesting that the author managed to build an entire book out of an ordinary, usually negligible event. From your summary of the plot, I do envision the book to revolve around the moral dilemma of the main character. At the same time though, I would probably expect that particular issue to be resolved halfway through. It is a question of someone dying, after all. Wouldn’t anyone in that position say something? The issue of not being able to empathize with the main character is a deal breaker for me. As a reader, you’d want to be immersed in the character – not watch at the sidelines.
Michael Davids daudi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Michael Davids daudi »

Started reading the first page couldn't put the book down
kate_nguyen
Currently Reading: Alexis Zorba
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-nguyen.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by kate_nguyen »

I am not sure I will enjoy reading Pocket Dial because even though the plot sounds interesting, the characters like Jen and Kat are hard to follow. Gonna put it on my "read it later when I have too much free time" list.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I have to say that I have enjoyed reading your review. There is alot that one can gain from it. From the way you discuss characters, to the way you quote sections of the book. Thanks for such an informative review.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Chuks Daniel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chuks-daniel.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by Chuks Daniel »

A detailed and well- written review. This novel emphasizes the fact that at some points in life we are torn between tough decisions and we need to approach such situations with utmost caution. I love the concept of the story.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Interesting idea with this crime fiction novel I'll be adding this to my TBR list. Thanks for donating to charity and congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”