Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Arista
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Post by Arista »

Lost in the shadows: a crime thriller. Leaves you on edge until the end.
Riptidemom8
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riptidemom8.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Riptidemom8 »

My current favorite series is The Profiler series by Lisa Gardner. She keeps you guessing right up until the end. I also love Patricia Cornwell, however the last few books of the Scarpetta series were tough to get through.
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Mika83
Currently Reading: The Golem and The Jinni
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by Mika83 »

Aaina89 wrote:I am into thrillers and mysteries especially ones dealing in historical artifacts or secret societies..can anyone recommend some good books?
Einstein's Secret by Irving Belateche is very good.

-- 18 Sep 2017, 09:08 --

Anyone else starting to read for Halloween yet? I'm re-reading Letters to the Damned by Austin Crawley at present. Very good if you like supernatural Horror.
Ksheedy
Currently Reading: Southern Fried Stories
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: B01M2AJOC3

Post by Ksheedy »

There are a couple authors that come to my mind when I talk about crime/thriller/horror books. One of my favorites is, of course, John Grisham. His books The Pelican Brief and The Firm, brought me back into the genre after I had been away from it for years. His characters are all very realistic and you can identify with them. Killing Time makes you feel so deeply that you want to be there yourself to help the characters carry out justice.
Another writer, who may not be a well known one yet, is Renee Pawlish. She has two sets of stories. One is with a modern PI and the other is set in the 50s or 60s. Both story lines are set up in a series style with character development from one book to the next. They even cross over at one point, which makes for another good story. If you are a fan of Mike Hammer, you will enjoy these books. Personally, I love them. They are fast paced, quirky and funny with a touch of drama, thrills, romance and mystery.
Along similar lines is the Fletch series by John McDonald. If you have seen the movies, the books are even funnier. I read them years ago but remember laughing out loud at the silliness and Fletch's antics. Also, by the same author is the series about Flynn, who is a detective on a police force. There is less humor but still very well written and lots of fun.
Ed McBain's 87th precinct novels are also a series type of stories where there is character development from one to the next. While you can pick up the series from the middle and read along with a good understanding, if you start at the beginning, it is better. These stories read like episodes of Dragnet with more horror and, as the progress, more modern twists.
Among the best though, are the Alex Cross novels by James Patterson. Start at the beginning to get to know the character and his family. They are deeply interwoven throughout each story and give an an insight as to why Alex does what he does. After one novel, you will find you care for the characters. After several, you start to think of them as friends that you care about. What will happen next?
I hope that this gives someone some ideas of new books to try.
EveS523
Currently Reading: Two by Two
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eves523.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by EveS523 »

Dog On It by Spencer Quinn is a great story. Bernie is a private investigator who brings along his dog, Chet, when he is working on cases. The story is told by Chet and it really makes you think differently about how dogs experience life and how much we mean to them and how much they rely on us. There are multiple other books with the same characters that I'm looking forward to reading!
AC Morano
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by AC Morano »

If you're a beginner in reading Crime/ Thrillers/Mystery Genre, I strongly suggest reading Agatha Christie's works especially "The Mysterious Affair at Styles" and "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd". From that, you can explore the works of John Dickson Carr. I really love his mystery novel, "The Hollow Man". Also, there are many Oriental mystery/crime/thriller novels that are worth reading like the book that is made by a Japanese author, "Tokyo Zodiac Murders". Don't worry, it has its English version.
Hannah21

Post by Hannah21 »

Bloody crayon is one of my favorite book. I just love this book because its all about friendship. Betrayals.
gordonwrites
Currently Reading: Munich
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gordonwrites.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by gordonwrites »

Just finished reading 'Night Blind' by Ragnar Jonasson an Icelandic crime writer. Thoroughly enjoyed this book and read it in one sitting. It is only 215 pages but well written, and I will now be looking out for other books in the series.
:techie-studyinggray:
Booklover11
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover11.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Booklover11 »

I would HIGHLY recommend any of the Dublin Murder Squad novels by Tana French. You do not need to read them in order but the interesting thing about each novel she writes is that it focuses around a new detective that has been a minor character in the previous book in the series. I loved this because I already knew who the main character was but did not know much about them. I loved how well written it is and how each detective is going through their own issues besides investigating the murders.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
gordonwrites
Currently Reading: Munich
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gordonwrites.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by gordonwrites »

Just finished reading 'Nightblind' by Ragnar Jonasson. This is a thriller set in Iceland by quite a new author on the scene. Quite a short book, but one that I didn't want to put down. It is about a policeman who has been overlooked for promotion, but then when his chief inspector is shot everything changes. If you enjoy Nordic type thrillers then add this book to your library shelves.

-- 07 Oct 2017, 18:05 --

I'm Travelling Alone by Samuel Bjork. Thoroughly enjoyed this debut thriller, couldn't put it down. Tense, exciting, great characters, irresistible.
Zohaib imtiaz
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zohaib-imtiaz.html
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Zohaib imtiaz »

well in my opinion, if you want some thrill and mystery then you should read the novels from Dan Brown, he has written quite a good pieces, and the robert langdon series of his is a good read!
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

The poet by Michael Connelly is one of the best crime books I have ever read. It's full of suspense and actually very interesting. One does not really know the killer till the very end. It's one of those books that you can read again and again and again.

-- 07 Oct 2017, 22:52 --

Agatha christie's book 'And there wore none' is also one of the most mystery filled books. It definitely qualifies as a horror book too.
Tanny136
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanny136.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Tanny136 »

Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie
HermitReviewer

Post by HermitReviewer »

Anything by Stephen King
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I have too many that I could recommend. James Patterson's Alex Cross Series and Women's Murder Club is my numbers 1 and 2 favorites. Then there's Kathy Reichs' Temperance Brennan. Plus I just discover Lincoln Cole's World on Fire series. Stephen King is a great horror story writer.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”