Review of A Perfect Storm of Injustice

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Devalsodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devalsodha.html
Latest Review: A Perfect Storm of Injustice by Jack A Saarela

Review of A Perfect Storm of Injustice

Post by Devalsodha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Perfect Storm of Injustice" by Jack A Saarela.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine that you are enjoying a blissful life with your family and suddenly there comes a cruel storm that shatters your world. You are innocent, devastated, and traumatized. The cruelty strikes again, and you are held responsible for the crime you didn’t commit. How would you feel and handle such a challenging situation? A Perfect Storm of Injustice by Jack A Saarela is an intriguing novel. It describes the life of innocent people sentenced as criminals due to the unfair and irregular loopholes in the legal system.

Charles Wilkerson was African-American adopted by Richard and Eileen, his white parents. Charles was brought up lovingly and was taught all the values, manners, and etiquettes required to lead a respectful life. He married the love of his life, Danna. They lead their dream life in Florida. Their son, Travis was an apple of their eyes. They lead a beautiful life together celebrating their blessings. Suddenly, misfortune struck them, and their happy world shattered. Danna was brutally murdered by a stranger in her own house. Charles’s world came to an end. Furthermore, he was wrongly held responsible for the murder of his beloved wife.

Charles’s life went upside down. He was sentenced to life imprisonment, due to the loopholes in the law system. His son Travis’s custody was handed over to Danna’s sister who herself thought Charles was responsible for Danna’s murder. Charles was unjustly imprisoned and was compelled to live a harsh life in the prison. The atmosphere there was quite depressing and the inmate’s behavior was terrible. But, after almost 25 years of imprisonment, there was a ray of hope for Charles. Will Charles ever succeed to prove his innocence? Explore this novel to ensure the outcome.

The author knows the death row and the Florida prison system, as he was a former campus minister at the University of Florida. He has perfectly described the prison, the thoughts of the criminals, their inmates, and the guards as well. This is the thing I loved the most about the book. I was transported to that place and was able to visualize the scenes.

There was nothing that I disliked about the book. The topic is unique and significant. There might be many such innocent people who have been wrongfully convicted as criminals. These people are the victims but were held responsible for the crime they didn’t commit. The Innocence Project initiated by Peter Neufeld and Barry Scheck proved to be helpful in such cases and reformed the criminal justice system. This book also enhanced my knowledge about this project.

The book is professionally edited. The flow of the chapters is interesting, and I could easily connect to the characters. For example, I loved the way the author started the book with the scene of Charles entering the prison for the first time. He explained his feelings splendidly and then carried the reader to Charles’s childhood in the consecutive chapters.

I happily rate the book 4 out of 4 stars for the impeccable writing style of the author and the gripping story. The beautiful characterization, deep description of scenes, and heart-touching story win the reader’s heart. The rich vocabulary and use of figures of speech make reading enjoyable. Moreover, there is a special charm in the story due to the wonderful father and son relationship.

I recommend this book to adults as there are vividly described sex and murder scenes. This book is perfect for criminal book lovers. I found this book a bit motivational too. This is because Charles, despite being in such a bitter state of mind, spent his time reading books and upgrading his knowledge by continuing his studies in prison. This is truly inspiring.

My favorite quote from the book is “If you put your minds to it, you can be anything you want to be.”

A Perfect Storm of Injustice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: The Futility of Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Amy Luman »

I do feel sorry for Charles’ predicament. However, I fail to see the relevance of mentioning that his adoptive parents are white. That doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the story. Probably not for me.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: No Reezon by Tara Falling Douglas

Post by markodim721 »

Really interesting plot and well-developed characters. I like that the author knows the Florida prison system. It shows his commitment.
Devalsodha

Post by Devalsodha »

Amy Luman wrote: ↑19 Jul 2021, 11:21 I do feel sorry for Charles’ predicament. However, I fail to see the relevance of mentioning that his adoptive parents are white. That doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the story. Probably not for me.
Thank you for reading my review.
The mention that his parents were white is because there had been a practice of Injustice with the black people.
Do read the book to know in detail.
You will really enjoy reading it.
Devalsodha

Post by Devalsodha »

markodim721 wrote: ↑20 Jul 2021, 05:10 Really interesting plot and well-developed characters. I like that the author knows the Florida prison system. It shows his commitment.
Yes the novel is truly intriguing.
Thank you for reading my review.
k_madhu_jha
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by k_madhu_jha »

I find the characters to be very unique. They are quite interesting. After reading this review I think I will read this book soon.
Devalsodha

Post by Devalsodha »

k_madhu_jha wrote: ↑22 Jul 2021, 06:26 I find the characters to be very unique. They are quite interesting. After reading this review I think I will read this book soon.
Thank you for passing by and giving kind words.
Indeed the book is interesting and you will definitely enjoy reading it.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”