Official Review: Pearl River Mansion by Richard Schwartz [2020 Book of the Year, based on your votes!]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Official Review: Pearl River Mansion by Richard Schwartz [2020 Book of the Year, based on your votes!]

Post by kdstrack »

It is always stomach-churning when adults fight over children. I loved the way you described the author's ability to present all the characters and maintain the reader's interest. It is always wonderful to read a book with so few errors! Thanks for the recommendation.
Odette Chace
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Post by Odette Chace »

This sounds like quite the thriller! It's wonderful when you're able to get wrapped up in a long read. I don't typically read a lot of mystery/family drama type novels, but I might have to make an exception for this one. I'm curious why Tyler prefers Cody so much over Rachael. Is it a gender thing, something to do with their personalities, or something else entirely? Thanks for a great review.
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

The plot sounds very intriguing with lots of twists and turns to keep me glues to the pages to the very end. Though the topic of suicide is not very appealing and the description of violent death scenes is definitely not my thing, I will give the book a try. Congratulations on becoming BOTD!
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

The beginning of this book is really good. I will not finish it though because I am not into a husband trying to cheat on his wife, and I can't handle child abuse. I imagine it would be a difficult book to read.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

The book sounds thrilling and movie-like. The family drama seems to be interesting and captivating with the unveiling of secrets and lies. It seems to be an engaging read.
Dori Lee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dori-lee.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dori Lee »

Great review. I am looking forward to reading this book. I want to know Tyler's family secrets.
Christina254
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Christina254 »

This book sounds quite exhilarating and intense. I am already curious as it is, what happened to Tyler's relationship with her daughter for him to accept her adoption? What demons did he have to face when growing up, what happened to Sarah, why would Tyler's mom want to adopt Rachael and not Cody? Who is this villain that is so cruel to the extent of hurting a child? So many questions and given the 500 pages, it's all in there and more and it lives me no choice but to deeply immerse myself and get lost in the books pages. A maze that i want to get lost in. :techie-studyinggray:
Thanks for the great review.
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

I’m very glad I read this review, at least now I know what to expect when I pick up this book
You actually did a great Job on this review
And I’m compelled to give it a good read
Congratulations on the BOTD
Parahiyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parahiyo.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Parahiyo »

The review is great and compelling. I'm definitely going to read this book.
Taiwo_Olawoye
Currently Reading: OldEarth Aram Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1femi1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Taiwo_Olawoye »

This book is indeed very interesting as the characters played out. Death often do not give any notice before it struck, and unfortunately it happened in this book. I will really love to be this book. Thanks for the review.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

Hmm! This book sounds intriguing. The well-developed character and encompassing suspense highlighted by the reviewer makes me want to read this book.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

I find myself wondering what Joan's motivation is—love or pride? This story will undoubtedly serve up some intense drama.
Gbemisola Akinremi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by Gbemisola Akinremi »

Awesome! This book sounds really interesting and thrilling. Thank you for a beautifully written review.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 606
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 58%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

amily secrets and nefarious plans are bound to be uncovered in this chilling family drama. After the passing of Tyler Chandler's wife, Sarah, Tyler wonders how he will care for his twins. Cody is the apple of his eye, and Rachael, well, he's never really paid her much attention. When his wealthy mother, Joan, is adamant about adopting Rachael, he acquiesces, believing in his heart, that she will provide Rachael with a better life. But his late wife's family has their sights set on raising Rachael as one of their own. Joan Chandler will do whatever it takes to secure her role as the young girl's guardian—even if that means eliminating those that get in her way.

When Rachael is reported missing, detectives Jack and Stacy find themselves perplexed over potential leads that seem to get them nowhere. The information doesn't add up. Someone is lying about Rachael's whereabouts, but who?

Pearl River Mansion by Richard Schwartz combines family drama and chilling twists and turns into a highly immersive read. The book is quite lengthy, at well over 500 pages, and is written from the third-person perspective following a handful of characters. Upon my first impression of the book, I was perplexed as to why it was so long, but it made sense the further I got into reading. The first part of the book focuses on the rift between Tyler Chandler and his mother. Then the author shifts gears and introduces readers to the detectives that are working on cracking the case of the missing girl, Rachael Chandler.

This book has a great beginning and the plot is excellent. Was only able to read the sample but the official review was excellent and I would like to read the entire book.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

My mind keeps going back to the relationship—or I should say the lack of it—betweem Tyler and Rachael. Does Tyler somehow blame her for her mother's death? What would make someone love one of his twins and have contempt for the other? This is an intriguing family story. I'd love to read it .

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”