Official Review: Blanket Immunity by Adam Van Susteren

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Official Review: Blanket Immunity by Adam Van Susteren

Post by Vickie Noel »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blanket Immunity" by Adam Van Susteren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Blanket Immunity, also known as transactional or total immunity, is a legal term used for explaining the privilege a potential witness enjoys if he provides a testimony that would otherwise have incriminated him and led to his incarceration. In other words, a witness who is granted blanket immunity would walk away even after providing proof of involvement in a crime. This provision, therefore, is every alleged criminal’s dream and is understandably very difficult to attain, both for criminal defense lawyers and the alleged criminals seeking its protection.

In Adam Van Susteren’s Blanket Immunity, Joanna (Jo) Channing quits her job as a deputy district attorney after failing to achieve the career upgrade of becoming a judge. Having functioned as a public defender for five years, she launches a law firm which plunges her into criminal defense practice. Jo’s first client, Brad, is a police officer and an alleged rapist who wants to be certain that no charges are brought up against him to tarnish his reputation. He claims Cassie Young is framing him up but offers to quit the force if no charges are pressed. Utterly convinced by Brad’s sterling case presentation with matching proof of innocence, Jo lands him blanket immunity by pulling some strings. Does he deserve it? Has Jo proved to be one heck of a defense lawyer, or has she made a terrible mistake? Find out how she ends up fitting into both shoes.

In the course of assisting a colleague to deliver a message to a prison inmate, Jo unwittingly gets involved with a drug dealer, and subsequently, a murderer named Omar. However, their relationship is quite unlike the norm, and I must say, I found it rather interesting and heartwarming. Van Susteren had this unique way of pitching these extreme characters together such that they appeared more like family.

Somewhere along the line, Jo meets Dzuy who becomes a key player in both her personal and professional life. What really intrigued me was the speed with which Dzuy was sucked into the drama due to some dicey situations seemingly beyond his control; scenarios he’d rather not get involved in, but couldn’t quite bring himself to let Jo face alone. Nonetheless, just how much longer and how far is Dzuy willing to go for her? And does seeking justice quantify causing someone a brush with death? To what length is Jo prepared to go in order to rectify her miscalculations? Will she have her happily-ever-after with Dzuy, or has she permanently ruined her chances?

Themes of honesty, truth, justice and dogged determination outrightly permeated Blanket Immunity. They shone through Jo’s resolution to correct her initial error in judgement regarding Brad’s case—a resolve I was most impressed with. Although her first attempt resulted in a more negative consequence than she could possibly have imagined, Jo struggled tooth-and-nail to ensure that justice was done while placing herself in parlous situations. She remained undeterred even with the knowledge that she’d be losing a mouth-watering referral fee at a time when that sum would have been highly instrumental in firmly establishing her practice, not to mention supporting her ailing father. As Jo puts it, “Why does the right thing have to financially suck?” I honestly had to examine and question myself as to what I would have done if I found myself at similar crossroads.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Blanket Immunity. When I wasn’t with the book, I was thinking about it. Van Susteren is a winsome writer who uses simple language to explain otherwise complex analogies. I especially appreciated his legal expertise when he dissected Jo’s thoughts on the credibility of police officers who arrested drivers under DUI since these officers could possibly derive hidden financial incentives from court proceedings. The entire book is somewhat fast-paced, humorous, and intellectually engaging. Clean, light romance is evident, with no explicit scenes for sensitive readers.

However, my causes for complaint in terms of grammatical errors range from the absence of commas setting off fronted adverbial phrases to an entire conversation written in Spanish (loc. 2240) without a modicum of translation assistance for those who neither spoke nor understood the written form of the language. Other minor errors such as misspellings, word omissions, and wrong word usage were also present. For example, “talking” was written instead of “taking” (loc. 4646), “am” rather than “I’m” (loc. 452), and “…do something the money Omar left me…” when it really should have been, “do something with the money Omar left me…”(loc. 4688). Nonetheless, I was too taken by the story to be seriously distracted by these mundane flaws. For this reason, Blanket Immunity walks away with its complete rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I can’t think of a single soul who wouldn’t enjoy this book, even those who generally don’t like legal thrillers.

Blanket Immunity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Vickie Noel's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

There is a lot going on in this book and it seems to have been well done. I love thrillers and this novel sounds captivating. I shall have to add it to my to-read list. Thanks for a great review!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

Prisallen wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 08:46 There is a lot going on in this book and it seems to have been well done. I love thrillers and this novel sounds captivating. I shall have to add it to my to-read list. Thanks for a great review!
I'm glad to hear that. It certainly would be
a worthwhile read. Thanks for checking out the review.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

This sounds like a good book for lovers of legal thrillers who want to see some new character types.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like there's a lot going on in this book. Yet the author brings it all together in a stunning fashion. The themes sound interesting. I'll look into this one further. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dragonfly6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonfly6.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Dragonfly6 »

This review is quite comprehensive! I glean from your review that although the premise is a legal setting, the priority is given to the relationships, drama and conflicts that arise within that arena. I often become disinterested with stories that become too bogged down with legal terms. It seems, from your review, that is not the case with this book. I appreciate the review!
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." ~ Cicero
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

The legal premise is interesting, piqued my curiosity. The story is thought provoking ,it will make you think as you read. Thanks for the review.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

Juliana_Isabella wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 15:37 This sounds like a good book for lovers of legal thrillers who want to see some new character types.
That's true! Thanks for reading and commenting!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 19:58 It sounds like there's a lot going on in this book. Yet the author brings it all together in a stunning fashion. The themes sound interesting. I'll look into this one further. Thanks!
You've summed it up quite nicely, kandscreeley. You won't regret looking into it further; it's a captivating read. Thanks for your thoughts on this one!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

Dragonfly6 wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 22:11 This review is quite comprehensive! I glean from your review that although the premise is a legal setting, the priority is given to the relationships, drama and conflicts that arise within that arena. I often become disinterested with stories that become too bogged down with legal terms. It seems, from your review, that is not the case with this book. I appreciate the review!
Exactly, dragonfly6! But for the presence of keywords like court, attorney and even blanket immunity, you wouldn't know it's a legal book; the legal terminology is too minimal to bog down readers. I assure you of a lovely read. Thanks for your thoughtful feedback!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

chiefsimplex wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 12:02 The legal premise is interesting, piqued my curiosity. The story is thought provoking ,it will make you think as you read. Thanks for the review.
Oh, it sure does that. It basically helps you think like a detective at some point, because Jo eventually had to figure out a link between her three clients. It's funny, I feel like going back to read it again!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Jo's dilemma has left me thinking too. What would I do? The author's portrayal of Jo and her struggle to do the right thing intrigue me. This sounds like an excellent read. Thanks for the captivating review.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

kdstrack wrote: 12 Apr 2019, 16:33 Jo's dilemma has left me thinking too. What would I do? The author's portrayal of Jo and her struggle to do the right thing intrigue me. This sounds like an excellent read. Thanks for the captivating review.
I'm glad you find it intriguing. You certainly won't regret reading it. Thanks for commenting!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The entire book is somewhat fast-paced, humorous, and intellectually engaging.

Wow! The book seems right up my alley. I like Jo's resolution in correcting her initial error in judgment on a case. It would have been easier to have just let it slide. Your review is quite captivating. I have so enjoyed reading it.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

Cotwani wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 07:05
The entire book is somewhat fast-paced, humorous, and intellectually engaging.

Wow! The book seems right up my alley. I like Jo's resolution in correcting her initial error in judgment on a case. It would have been easier to have just let it slide. Your review is quite captivating. I have so enjoyed reading it.
Thank you Cotwani!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”