Official Review: The Darkness at Decker Lake

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Official Review: The Darkness at Decker Lake

Post by JuliaKay »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Darkness at Decker Lake" by Martin H. Zuckerman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The residents of Decker Lake are on edge. A general wave of unease and trepidation has overtaken even those inhabitants with the stoutest constitutions. A feeling of impending doom shadows them on their evening walks. The sense of something sinister lurking in their once peaceful town has them trembling in their beds at night. Nobody stays out after dusk, and nobody speaks of the lingering presence, for they fear that will make matters worse. Has something evil come to Decker Lake?

It's an isolated lake community in upstate New York, inhabited by predominantly retired senior citizens – loners, individuals who don't have much as far as social lives, people who wouldn't be missed. One of the townspeople, George, has taken notice of the strange happenings that began several years ago – the despair felt by all the occupants and the townspeople who suddenly decided to leave Decker Lake for a retirement home in Florida and were never heard from again. His unease has intensified since the disappearance of Evelyn Jones and the lack of communication from his friend, Mary. He begins trying to unravel the mystery of what is happening to his town.

One of the strengths of The Darkness at Decker Lake by Martin H. Zuckerman is that readers are allowed to be insiders. Typically, with a book of this nature, I wouldn't appreciate that, but in this case, it works. Readers know what has come for the residents of the community and what malicious presence haunts their town. The sense of knowing something that the characters don't know makes this story thrilling. Intelligent is the best word I can think of to describe this book, and while it may not seem like a fascinating term, intelligent books are some of the best. It almost seems as if the author lived through the events and has psychologically evaluated the characters – he wrote about their strengths, weaknesses, motives, fears, histories, plans, and deeply hidden thoughts. It becomes clear that what could be labeled as a pretty standard mystery novel to individuals who merely read the synopsis is actually twisted, genius, and incredibly thoughtful.

Sometimes when I read books, I get discouraged by conversations that go on for longer than is necessary, character's with no layers, and loose ends. I'm pleased to say that this book has none of those issues! However, the number of technical errors is almost overwhelming, and this is distracting and detracts from how good the story is. A couple of examples of the errors found in this book are tenses that disagree such as is and was - making it unclear if an event is currently happening or had happened in the past - and an accidental colon in front of a backward quotation mark. This book does not seem to have been professionally edited. Due to the negatives mentioned, this book is rated 3 out of 4 stars.

The Darkness at Decker Lake is appropriate for more mature readers as there are topics discussed that may be over the heads of teenagers and children. There are also a few violent and gruesome descriptions that some readers may find disturbing. There is not much to mention as far as vulgar or mature language, and there are no intimate scenes. Fans of mystery, suspense, or horror genres will probably appreciate this narrative.

The Darkness at Decker Lake
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JuliaKay's review? Post a comment saying so!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I am very keen to read this book; it sounds just up my street. Thanks for your clear review and I'm pleased you seem to seem to have enjoyed it so much. I'm also relieved there are no intimate scenes between the retirees - I think that would put me off a bit :lol2: :lol2:
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

sonya01 wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 01:58 I am very keen to read this book; it sounds just up my street. Thanks for your clear review and I'm pleased you seem to seem to have enjoyed it so much. I'm also relieved there are no intimate scenes between the retirees - I think that would put me off a bit :lol2: :lol2:
I didn't even think about them being retirees when I mentioned that! Haha! I hope you enjoy the book.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The book sounds intriguing and full of suspense. I'm happy about the 'insider trading!' Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm interested. An evil in Decker lake that the reader is actually privy too? I'll have to find out more. Glad you enjoyed this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This seems very engaging; filled with suspense and mystery. I wonder what becomes of George as he tries to unravel the mystery. Nice review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

This book seems to be as layered and complex as what reality could really be. It also has the telltale signs of circumstances that one wouldn't want to happen in real life but would make a piece of its genre more appealing to its fans. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I like a good book that closely relates to the psychological personality factors of a character. A book as this, as you say has it's gripping moments and it's certainly has it's own standards to expect. Thank you for your descriptive review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Great review!
I normally wouldn't like to be an insider but you did mention in this scenario it worked. Shame about the editing though.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Sounds like a thrilling read. I love the concept of disclosing important information to the readers even before the characters come to grasp all that is happening. It certainly creates an anticipation to see how the things unfold later on. Good to know that the author elaborated the psychology of the characters as well. Thanks for the great review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

One of the strengths of The Darkness at Decker Lake by Martin H. Zuckerman is that readers are allowed to be insiders. Typically, with a book of this nature, I wouldn't appreciate that, but in this case, it works. Readers know what has come for the residents of the community and what malicious presence haunts their town. The sense of knowing something that the characters don't know makes this story thrilling. Intelligent is the best word I can think of to describe this book, and while it may not seem like a fascinating term, intelligent books are some of the best. It almost seems as if the author lived through the events and has psychologically evaluated the characters – he wrote about their strengths, weaknesses, motives, fears, histories, plans, and deeply hidden thoughts. It becomes clear that what could be labeled as a pretty standard mystery novel to individuals who merely read the synopsis is actually twisted, genius, and incredibly thoughtful.
I usually don't like knowing what's really going on, as I enjoy twists and turns but apparently it works in this novel so I'll give it a chance. And I love diving into character's psychology!
Seems like a great read for me and it's definitely going to my to-read shelf. Thanks!
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

I wish I could read this book. I feel you when you say,
...twisted, genius, and incredibly thoughtful.
Most authors do not think their stories through to a level that characters can pull in a reader and evoke the necessary feelings. Good review.
keiyoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keiyoshi.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by keiyoshi »

Thank you for the detailed review. The book seems like a thrilling read, but it might not be for me. I've read a few pages and there's just something about it that threw me off. Even so, congratulations for the BOTD!
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I like the mystery and suspense in this book as residents of Decker Lake get wondering about what has become of their town. Nice review.
Sweetie_banana
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 9500">Lost in the reflecting pool</a>
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Sweetie_banana »

:tiphat: The review sounds great. Awesome stuff there. I downloaded it and was so dissapointed that it had so many pages. Possibly three thousand. Will keep on reading it through the day. I mostly liked the grammar used. It is simple to understand.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”