Discuss We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
KipMilly3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kipmilly3.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Spiritual Vs. Magic Power

Post by KipMilly3 »

The priests failed to banish the demon in Lord Hrelek's house. However, Demetrius attempted to banish the demon using magic. Do you think this proves that magic is greater than spiritual power? Why do you think the priests were so scared?
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

The priests didn't exactly fail to banish the demon, they just didn't feel the need for it. And the fact remains that the most effective tool Demetrius used was his holy sword (or knife[I don't precisely remember.])
And spirituality and magic are kinda intertwined in the "we are voulhire series". But which is more powerful is a tricky question. As much as a believer is concerned there is nothing more powerful than what God can do. But man has to do his bit as well, doesn't he?
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
D3R3ZZ3D
Currently Reading: Star Wars
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d3r3zz3d.html
Latest Review: Blessed in the Midst of the Storm by Monique Lynelle

Post by D3R3ZZ3D »

Within this series, Tysz may have made one more superior over the other, though I doubt that will turn out to be the case in the long run. I believe the priests were not as sure of their faith and capability to handle such a situation.
Numbers 6:24-26
Zechariah 4:6
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Perhaps it isn't so much that one type of power is greater than the other, as it is that the individuals wielding such powers have the skill and capabilities to wield them right.

What I mean is, maybe it is not that spiritual power is more or less powerful than magical power in the book, but that the priests are not skilled enough to handle the power in the way that will ensure the demons are banished.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

Spirituality and magic when analyzed separately are intertwined within each other with spirituality predominantly defining how magical an event can be. Now to the priests intervention, they simply decided to let it be and that allowed Demetrius the opportunity to attempt a magical procedure. If the priests had concluded applying spirituality, then no magical moment wouldn't have even been thought of.
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

The hungover priests thought Demetrius' concern was much ado about nothing. The fact that Demetrius would seek to go to the Priests before exercising what was in his power to do means that he himself knew that the exorcism fell under the priests purview. Evidently, his attempt at using magic to do what it could not and him having been ill informed brought disastrous effect upon Virko. Spirituality was definitely needed here.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

Well, this is a fictional book which allows the writer to argue whatever he thinks. I agree that magic has immense power which could be scary to humans, priests involved. This doesn't warrant that these powers outdo the spiritual world abilities
Mys_Trea
Currently Reading: Seconds to Live
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys-trea.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Mys_Trea »

I wouldn't say the spiritual banishment didn't work, seeing as the particular priests were not bothered to even try this exercise. I think the two are not mutually exclusive in their use throughout the book, so it's fairer to say they work in harmony.
tirsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tirsy.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by tirsy »

I would not say that magical power is greater than spiritual power. Skills and faith matter. If you do not practice your faith then one will definitely outdo the other.
Shatakshi Gauriar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shatakshi-gauriar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Shatakshi Gauriar »

We are in no position to compare between the two because we have not discovered all of it. Until now, what we believe is that magic and spirituality is intertwined with each other but all rest in the hands of Gods and Goddess. Moreover, I don't think priests were scared, they were not very confident most likely.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

Spiritual power beats magic any time, I believe. It is only when you doubt or do not have enough faith that you can be afraid of magic.
gayscott
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayscott.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by gayscott »

Spiritual power is always greater in reality. This is a fiction book, of course. The author decides who is more powerful .
I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me. :reading-6: :reading-6: :angelic-cyan:
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

gayscott wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 00:18 Spiritual power is always greater in reality. This is a fiction book, of course. The author decides who is more powerful .
Correct! I would not like to live in this author's reality. But then again it is understandable for someone who thrives in dystopies. I need to believe that good prevails.
K+SQUARE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-square.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by K+SQUARE »

The priests did not bother trying to exorcise the demon since they saw no need and possibly because they are not up to the task. I feel spiritual power is greater than magical power, however, they are intertwined one way or another.
Monishka Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monishka-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Monishka Sharma »

Fasmin wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 06:57 The priests didn't exactly fail to banish the demon, they just didn't feel the need for it. And the fact remains that the most effective tool Demetrius used was his holy sword (or knife[I don't precisely remember.])
And spirituality and magic are kinda intertwined in the "we are voulhire series". But which is more powerful is a tricky question. As much as a believer is concerned there is nothing more powerful than what God can do. But man has to do his bit as well, doesn't he?
I agree completely with you. I think that spiritual and magic powers are somehow interconnected and you can not really say which is superior.

Return to “Discuss We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko (Book 2 of 6)”