Claire Riddle
Favorite Book: Through a Glass Darkly
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-riddle.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Kayden or Demetrius?

Post by Claire Riddle »

In 'The Fires of Virko' Demetrius does everything he can to protect his hometown, Virko. But he ended up as the person who destroyed Virko and became helpless, making me feel really sorry for him. Kayden was waiting to see his unborn child. As a slanted person, he tried to keep Peter close to himself at the same time. In the end, he lost his child, wife and boyfriend on the same day and had to watch his hometown being destroyed. Who did you pity most?
Saketjha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saketjha.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Saketjha »

Kayden, he has sorry past and now everything is lost for him. He couldn't even gather strength escape at the end.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Hm, I would opt for Kayden. Demetrius still has a chance to fix his misfortune, especially when he has his friends by his side. But it's already too late for Kayden. Those who died can not come back to life, so his loss is permanent.
Folcro
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Folcro »

Really interesting question; I never actually considered it myself, and even now strain to conclude it. I would say Kayden technically endured the most trauma in a singular moment, but Demetrius is in a position to much more easily (though not necessarily deservedly) blame himself.
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ankushavhad »

I think Kayden. Kayden, as his helplessness and lost his dear, seemed he trapped in the unfavorable climax.
Demetrius, on the other hand, with his association with other characters favoring he and him can correct the situation.
I missed comparing them, while I was gathering characters while compiling the review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I would say Kayden. He experienced the real tragedy that changed him dramatically. I've read all the 6 books, and he's still among my favorite characters.

Frankly speaking, I wasn't sorry about Demetrius at all! :D Of course, he had very good intentions, but we all know where can good intentions lead.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

I pity Kayden. He lost his wife and unborn child. I think losing all of your family in one day is such a tragedy and so heartbreaking.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Kayden, of course, because he lost everything. Nevertheless, he was very connected to Virko in the present, as opposed to Demetrius, who didn't live there anymore.
tejaswini123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tejaswini123.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by tejaswini123 »

I would say I pity Kayden more, of course Demetrius caused havoc on the city, but so far we now nothing of Demetrius' significant other, he is a monk so he lives alone. On the other hand, Kayden had a boyfriend he could not openly be in a relationship with, a wife that he married for the sake of his family, and he also lost his unborn daughter that he was so excited to meet. Plus, he lost all three of them in the most gruesome way possible, whereas Demetrius was only guilty of letting the demons lose. I definitely pity Kayden more because he is actually a good person, just stuck in all the wrong situations and has lost everything.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Kayden obviously had my sympathy than Demetrius. He lost everything trying to build a family even if that meant suppressing a great part of himself and at the end of the day had this dream of a family snatched from him. he basically lived for his whole life to go down the drain and he couldn’t do anything to stop it.
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

That is an interesting question. Firstly, I would say that they are both tragic characters. On the one hand, all Demetrius wanted to do was cleanse the demon and save his hometown. He just wanted to help, but his hasty actions managed to make the situation far worse than it was before. In the end, he ended up being the reason for the distraction of Virko, the brutal slaughter of its people, and the enslavement of whatever remained from the town.

On the other hand, Kayden all his life has denied himself the pleasures he craved. As it wasn't socially acceptable for the lords of Virko to be openly slanted, Kayden suppressed his needs and wants to fit in and carry on his family legacy by taking a wife and procuring an heir. He had Peter, of course, but they couldn't be together properly, not in the way they both craved. And if that wasn't enough, he found his wife dead, his unborn child ripped from her belly and sawed into the belly of his dead boyfriend.

If that isn't the most traumatic scene anyone can experience, I don't know what is. I literally had chills run down my spine when I read the phrase: " In the years before Lord Kayden started his patriarchy, he said to me that his future would be very different if a man could bear his
child"...

So I think it is safe to say that even though Demetrius is responsible for a massacre, Kayden's situation is perverted and sickening beyond limits.
plnjimenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plnjimenez.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by plnjimenez »

Claire Riddle wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 09:04 In 'The Fires of Virko' Demetrius does everything he can to protect his hometown, Virko. But he ended up as the person who destroyed Virko and became helpless, making me feel really sorry for him. Kayden was waiting to see his unborn child. As a slanted person, he tried to keep Peter close to himself at the same time. In the end, he lost his child, wife and boyfriend on the same day and had to watch his hometown being destroyed. Who did you pity most?
Kayden. What he lost can never return. Demetrius can still do something about what happened in Virko due to his accident.
epingley896
Favorite Book: The One
Currently Reading: Strange the Dreamer
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-epingley896.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by epingley896 »

What's lost for Kayden is lost forever. He cannot bring those he loved back from the dead. I think that he has the most tragic fortune of the two.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
sharon titus
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by sharon titus »

I pity Kayden the most as he lost everything. He was bottling up his feelings to be socially acceptable and in the all he got was pain. In the next book of the series, his fate is still painful.
On the other hand, Demetrius was being hasty and that was the reason of his tragic.
AJ_Williams011
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aj-williams011.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by AJ_Williams011 »

Oh, what a tricky question! I feel Demetrius' sadness of losing his hometown despite his efforts of protecting it but I side with Kayden on this one since his struggles and despair connected with me on a different level. I was looking forward to their forbidden love and Kayden's fate, slightly believing that things could actually turn out well but what happened just broke my heart.
All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm.
– Margo Roth Spiegelman in Paper Towns

Return to “Discuss We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko (Book 2 of 6)”