Overall rating and opinion of "The Fires of Virko (Book 2 of 6)" by Matthew Tysz

Discuss We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of "The Fires of Virko (Book 2 of 6)" by Matthew Tysz

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for We are Voulhire: Fires of Virko (Book 2 of 6) by Matthew Tysz.

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.

* You need to read the book to comment.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
_Bokeh
Favorite Book: The King of May
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bokeh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by _Bokeh »

Overall, I rate this book4 out of 4 stars. Tysz is definitely one of my favourite authors now thanks to this series. I especially like how he uses vivid description which makes the narrative interactive and captivating. I find his books very rich in culture as well.
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

Personally, I liked the book very much, which is why I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. It is an action-packed book that kept me to the end of my seat until the very end.

To be honest, though, it's not for everyone. It had a lot of violent, disturbing, and graphic scenes. Some of them involved sensitive topics such as rape, torture, and amputation. But if you like your books with an edge just like me, then it's perfect.

I liked the new characters we got to meet. They seemed to be much more realistic and believable than the ones in the first book. A lot of people seem to dislike that the characters didn't have very nice personalities, or to be frank, were morally grey, but that was the thing that made me love Matthew's Tysz writing. He portrayed people just as they are. No one is all good or all bad: everyone has the potential to be both.

The only thing I didn't like about this book is the fact that there were no female protagonists. I mean, I guess I kinda get it with the setting, and all, resembling the middle-ages, it is understandable that women in that era didn't have a very dynamic role in society, but still, I thought it was strange. Nevertheless, I didn't retract any stars off my rating, keeping in mind that maybe there was a reason for that.
Andra2005
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andra2005.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Andra2005 »

I enjoyed reading this book and that's why I give it a score of 4 out of 4 stars. I consider that although the novel includes scenes full of violence, it is an extraordinary book full of action and suspense. It really is worth reading.
It was books that made me feel that perhaps I was not completely alone.
imet123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imet123.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by imet123 »

I gave the book a four out of four rating, it was a whole new experience for me, it kept me on edge, despite its somewhat violent and disturbing scenes, it had a good story to tell.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

The Virken Fires were one to behold as the demons lurked and savaged its occupants. The book had the trio (Galen, Demi, Rowan) running for their lives for most of the chapters. It was an exciting read overall. I would definitely recommend this book to all the thriller fanatics out there.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Martina A J
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-a-j.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Martina A J »

I read the book in one go. I am impressed with the world building. We are introduced to a different city and new characters, but the plot keeps such a good pace without compromising on character details.
Chiawa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiawa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chiawa »

This book is intriguing. I enjoy the detailed description of events. The actions, battles and twists beguiled me.
It deserves a 4 out of 4 rate. I would recommend this book to lovers of thrillers.
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ankushavhad »

The Fire of Virko --the business town in focus had marvelous details in the book by Tysz. Also, the mystery-filled turns kept me reading fast to discover the suspense with no miss of threads. I happily rated 4 out of 4 stars then. I am not regrating at all.
Ivy Thuo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-thuo.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Ivy Thuo »

I gabe this book 4 out of 4. It was my favorite in the series. It showcased have good intentions with a disastrous outcome.
Saketjha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saketjha.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Saketjha »

It was a 3 out of 4 for me. I liked the dark and twist ending but the middle was a little wayward for me.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I especially liked the horror element in this fantasy novel. But I think this book is quite dark when compared to the other books of this series. Nonetheless, I enjoyed reading this one.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I gave this book 3 out of 4 stars. It was too gloomy and even depressing for my liking, but I liked Lord Kyden's story-line and the forbidden love theme. You should read this book to proceed with the series, otherwise the following books would seem confusing.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

I gave it 3 out of 4 stars. +3 because of Folcro and Lord Dragan. -1 because of lack of strong women characters.
sharon titus
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by sharon titus »

I give this book a 4 out of 4 as it is my favourite in the series. It has the power to captivate its reader and gives a thrilling move like experience.

Return to “Discuss We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko (Book 2 of 6)”