Does the opening capture the reader?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Re: Does the opening capture the reader?

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

Meldorath's attack on the castle of Hillport is one of the best openings I have ever read, it immediately had me hooked and curious about how the book would end.
ecor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ecor.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley

Post by ecor »

Sorry, the opening did not hook me in just like the others. But I like the thrill towards the end of the book. It got me thinking that the next book would be more thrilling.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

The opening of the book certainly hooked me in, probably because we see someone who has been living in war for years finally get the chance to move somewhere else. It's also probably why my favorite character is Galen.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

The opening was definitely gripping. It just sort of threw you right into the book, tied you to a chair, and kept you wanting more all the way to the end.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
Joy C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Joy C »

The opening scene drew me in. Yes, it was quite violent and gory but it raised questions and also confirmed to me that I would enjoy the book. And I did
Begin always with the end in mind. :techie-studyingbrown:
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 07:21 I found that the opening got me hooked almost immediately. While it was somewhat violent, I felt that it really created a mystery as to why this was happening, especially by using such a controversial topic as the 'social parties' for children. What did y'all feel about the beginning? Did it capture you immediately, or did it take you a while to get into the book?
Just like you, I was immediately captured too. Matthew instantly introduced two differing worlds in the first chapter, and although the Lands of the Princes have a share of my curiosity, Voulhire immediately became the focal setting and captured my interest. Galen was the very first main character to appeared; to have an impending life in a new country after living in such hostile land was a delightful way to start the story.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I smiled at the first instance of the funny parts.
Aside from that, the opening reveals a scandal, and it made me brace myself for more violent moments throughout the book.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

I loved the book overall, but the beginning confused me quite a lot. So much was going on and so little background information was given. I thought that starting the book with a lord allegedly performing "Bedroom acts upon children" was a really weird opening theme, which made me a bit uncomfortable. Later in the story though, the events of the prologue make a lot more sense and the child abuse theme was portrayed in a very serious and thoughtful way, so my early doubts of the book's plot quickly dissolved. But no, the opening did not really capture me and made me feel rather confused.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html

Post by Janet Kimetto »

The opening did not hook me in as much as the next chapter told by Galen did. It did not disturb me, though, because it brought out Lord Meldorath as a righteous saviour. But now that I'm convinced Lord Orlin was innocent, I do not want to think about it.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
zayyyna
Currently Reading: My "Enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zayyyna.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by zayyyna »

the opening of the book is what make the reader attached to the book , and in thus book the story of the book just make you instantly attached to book and make you want to read more and more till the end .
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

I'm not sure I was hooked instantly, but it was certainly interesting, and since it was the catalyst event for a large amount of the story that takes place in Book 1, I think it was a very good choice to kick off the book with
Akshobhya B
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshobhya-b.html

Post by Akshobhya B »

The story jumps immediately into action from the very beginning as a violent fight ensues. Meldorath attacks Lord Orlin's guards and takes over the fort as characters die brutal deaths. Right from that bloody prologue, the book grabs hold of your attention and doesn't let go until the very end.
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

It definitely got my attention. I wasn't expecting such a beginning, and after reading that, I couldn't put it down. I was eager to know what exactly was going on and why there was so much violence. Not even just the beginning, the whole book had me wanting to know me up to the very end.
Aashu Chaudhary
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aashu-chaudhary.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Aashu Chaudhary »

I have never come across a opening like this before. Its really capture reading about the intriguing mystery about Meldorath intentions. I was very curious to know throughout the story, what happen with Meldorath. Eldus adjective role did help in knowing Meldorath, but all was useless.
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

Definitely not, I found it a bit confusing and difficult to follow through...I only enjoyed the book after passing the prologue.
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”