How Well Does The Cover Illustration Reflect The Story?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Re: How Well Does The Cover Illustration Reflect The Story?

Post by iammiape »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 22:11 Judging a book by the cover illustration is always a bright idea. However, cover illustrations are done to attract a certain demographics. These covers either push the readers towards or away from a book. Does the cover illustration of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies do justice to the book?
I would agree to the majority that the book cover truly embodied the title of the book. However, I think that it was not necessary to add some details that'll will depict the tone or plot of the story since the story will be centered around Galen, as the author mentioned, so I think the title is just right since it also captured the essence of what Matthew wanted the readers to encounter first of all, which was hope.
Mahak Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahak-sharma.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Mahak Sharma »

The cover illustration shows a boy moving forward to the land of Voulhire. Well, everyone knows who the boy is. Of course, it's Galen. It discovers the protagonist of our story. But, it's not enough to point out the idea and other characters. The cover page doesn't disappoint but it could have been better.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I like astronomy, so a starry night sky will always draw me in. The cover art perfectly matches the title of the book by depicting Galen's "arrival under great skies." The starry sky could also symbolize the endless opportunities that Voulhire has to offer those with enough ambition. It could even be a hint at the magical realm of Caromentis. Maybe Caromentis can be accessed through the sky.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

I feel the cover image doesn't do enough justice to all the book contains. But from the cover image, you can tell it is in alignment with the book title because Galen is indeed under great skies. There is a lot of action, and Voulhire was described as such a prosperous land with magic. When you look at the book cover though, you don't get that imagery.
Aashu Chaudhary
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aashu-chaudhary.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Aashu Chaudhary »

Loved the cover. I stare at it for long time after I finished the book. It shows Galen standing outside of the town. I was to admiring the beauty of the city as him, looking at the cover page. However appearance of the character can be little more clean and neat. Its look like he is a zombie or something.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

The cover is a bland, in my opinion. I agree that it is a unique take, but I felt like it didn't quite live up to the story's potential. Overall, it is better than some of the book covers out there, but it could be a lot better.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

It didn't do justice to the awesome story inside the book. However, it reflected one part of the book (Galen's rising hope and start to new beginnings).
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 22:11 Judging a book by the cover illustration is always a bright idea. However, cover illustrations are done to attract a certain demographics. These covers either push the readers towards or away from a book. Does the cover illustration of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies do justice to the book?
The title and cover illustration of this novel intrigued me and I believe it would as well steer the mind of the readers.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

I think my answer is biased because after reading the book I think the cover perfectly illustrates the story. The cover does trigger curiosity, I’d give it that.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.
Adekeye Hassan musab
Currently Reading: My Other Half
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adekeye-hassan-musab.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Adekeye Hassan musab »

The cover should have been more eye catching considering the great content in the book.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”