What do you make of the book title?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

What do you make of the book title?

Post by luchi123 »

While I read the book, I kept trying to relate the plot with its title ' A New Arrival under Great Skies'. I assumed that the people of Voulhire were in existence before Galen's trip to the land, which was the beginning of the story. Why then do you think they called themselves a new arrival under great skies?
Erin M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-m.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Erin M »

The title could refer to the fact that this is the first time Galen has stepped foot in Voulhire. He is a new arrival in what seems to him to be a magnificent, even awe-inspiring, country. Great skies might just be a metaphor for that over-arching feeling that Voulhire is a very successful place with limitless potential. At least that's my best guess. :D
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by luchi123 »

Ok, I could look at it that way. Since all the book titles in the series begin with ' We are Voulhire', the subtitles probably refer to the major event in each book.
Thank you very much.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

I think "We Are Voulhire" is the series title, indicating that the people of Voulhire are going to need to unite to overcome their enemies as well as Galen's new identity as a Voulhirian. "A New Arrival under Great Skies" refers to Galen's arrival at Voulhire.
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I have to agree with all the above commenters. I think "We are Voulhire" is indeed meant to signify unity and "A New Arrival Under Great Skies" refers to Galen himself, who is new to the land.
Kolisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kolisa.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Kolisa »

The title was right on. It referred to the arrival of Galen in a new land. Under Great Skies would maybe be because it was a place of opportunity and a peaceful land as compared to where he came from.
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

I personally think the title is really long and convoluted. It could do with something munch punchier and to the point to make it stand out.
'At his lips' touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete'
The Great Gatsby
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Interestingly enough, the land where Galen first arrived is called Magnum Caelum. Magnum can be translated as 'great', and Caelum can mean 'sky'. So, 'A New Arrival under Great Skies' may imply the town's name and, at the same time, signifies a brand new start for Galen.
dragontale7
Currently Reading: Furyborn
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragontale7.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by dragontale7 »

I agree that the title is probably more in reference to Galen's first time in Voulhire than anything else. To me, this makes sense with the cover as the depiction seems to be that of someone overlooking a city (as if it is their first time there). With regards to how long the title is, they could probably do something to separate the name of the series and the individual book(s) a bit more.
Alyssa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Alyssa »

Wow, I didn’t consider the possibility of the translation. I wonder if it was intentional or just a happy accident. I had assumed from the title it had something to do with someone that goes to a great new place.
psmith5659
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psmith5659.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by psmith5659 »

I was a little confused at the title, as I was expecting some sort of extraterrestrial visitor to the land, but I do agree that the new arrival was Galen arriving to his new land. Overall, I think it really fits the tone of the novel, as an opening to this series and the journeys of the characters.
cydnas
Currently Reading: The Raven and other poems
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cydnas.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by cydnas »

Reading the replies already posted, I have to agree with the length of the book title being too much and the title is most likely referencing Galen. The translation was also a great point!
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

The title We Are Voulhire not simply unity, but a stronger statement. It screams identity and steadfastness. A New Arrival under Great Skies suggests a newborn coming as a good omen for all (skies is used in plural, instead of singular.) There is only one sky above...at least on Earth :D .
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

'A new arrival under great skies' signifies Galen's arrival at Voulhire. A place that's supposed to be great and offer limitless possibilities. While we are Voulhire also signifies his new status as a voulhirian.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

I think it was rather Galen that was the "New Arrival", and the "Great Skies" were those of Voulhire and the opportunities that were now open to Galen. As for the title of the series, "We are Voulhire", I think we have a lot still to learn in the subsequent books about that; however, it speaks of the unity of the people of Voulhire, and how they are a great nation together as one.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”