Rowan and Demetrius ~ should Galen trust them?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Re: Rowan and Demetrius ~ should Galen trust them?

Post by Pluma »

I think that both Rowan and Demetrius have their own agenda, and something that they are not telling the others. However, I don’t know if this means they are up to something bad or that Galen should not trust them; it doesn't seem like they would hurt or cheat him, and I think maybe their friendship is genuine, even if they are hiding something or pursuing their own aims. They are both interesting characters who add spice to the plot, even if they are not particularly likeable.
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

I think Galen should trust Demetrius but be a little cautious all the same. But only time can tell whether rowan can be trusted. So far deciding on rowan would be foolish.

:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I think Demetrius is a good man and he has also helped Galen in many ways. So I think Galen can trust him. But I’m not sure about Rowen. I don’t like his character all that much.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Mich Cyrus wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 14:50
Eutoc wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 02:12 Demetrius seems to be introverted so I can't tell if he's hidden things from Galen. But Rowan, that lad has a lot of things under his sleeves and he doesn't tell anyone. It's like he has some keen interest in Galen's forge business. I just don't trust him.
Demetrius, the monk, is simply hired by Galen to study some rock. He doesn't seem to have a hidden agenda. But as you said, he's an introvert so you may not know his next steps. Rowan on the other hand helped in the execution of Galen's uncle and is now helping Galen settle in Voulhire. Rowan definitely has an agenda.
Ahhhh. What did you do? You just spoilt the book 😭
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by luchi123 »

I think that Galen should trust Demetrius until he gets what he wants from him. This is because Demetrius is needed to do things that Rowan can't do. Hence, it would be foolish to annoy him based on Rowan's speculation.
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

I personally think Rowan and Demetrius can be trusted by Galen, I say this because not everyone who has something to hide is a bad person. Sometimes, they just want to leave their past behind and move forward and talking about ones past is not always ideal when they are not ready.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

Even though I believe either Rowan or Demetrious have their own hiden plans, from I've seen from, none of them plan to harm Galen Bray. I even think that their plans are aligned with Galen's sucess through the Impire of Voulhire.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

valeriejane wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 16:12 I don't trust Rowan. I think he is a tad sneaky and hiding something. Furthermore, I think Demetrius is cut from the same cloth as Rowan and he also has a hidden agenda. They took an immediate dislike to each other because they are so much alike. Similar to it takes a thief to catch a thief.

Although I these two may have nefarious motives, and I enjoy the contention and I believe they add depth to the story.

Do I have this all wrong?
Should Galen trust Rowan or Demetrius?
I would like to know what you think?
~ Valerie
I was thinking the same thing. Although Rowan seems to be a helpful friend, he often disrespects women. So, for that reason, I dislike his character. But who knows? Maybe he will change as the series continues. As for Demetrius, he seems to be hiding a lot behind his stoic facade. Both of these men have secrets.

Despite their suspicious behavior, I agree that they make the story even more intriguing.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

I didn't get a sneaky feeling from Rowan. I saw him as playful, arrogant and an adventurer. While he has his reasons for staying with Galen, they don't seem underhanded to me. If anything, I think he likes that he has someone he can teach and guide.
I was a bit more hesitant about Demetrius. It felt like he was more reserved and because of this I was more inclined to think he was hiding something. By the end of the novel, I felt certain that the three of them (and maybe Marshus) would make a good group.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Taiwo_Olawoye
Currently Reading: OldEarth Aram Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1femi1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Taiwo_Olawoye »

Rowan and Demetrius seem to be hiding something. This is where the suspicion about their characters exist. I think however, the benefits of doubt should be extended to them.
Kazak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kazak.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Kazak »

Mich Cyrus wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 14:39 More to trusting Demetrius and Rowan, Galen should trust his instincts. However, It might be too early to predict their motives towards Galen.
I have to agree with you, it is too early to tell what their motives are. But, I think he should just trust them. Better to trust them and regret it, right?
_Bokeh
Favorite Book: The King of May
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bokeh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by _Bokeh »

When I first read this book, I also believed that Rowan was not to be trusted,but I trusted Demetrius.Since I do not want to give any spoilers, Isuggest you read theentire series and you will discover why the author intended for them to come together in such an unusual way.
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cerón Durán

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

I find Rowan a bit suspicious, I just feel like he's not being completely honest, and he could have some ulterior motives. I think, however, that Demetrius seemed more trustworthy, I got a feeling that he was more transparent. At the end of the day, Galen should trust himself and his instincts, while still being careful.
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

In general, I think that this is a recurrent topic in fiction. A complete stranger enters to your life and you trust them. Sometimes this leads to adventure, and others to misfortune. In particular, in this book, I think Rowan is someone who is not very trustworthy, at a first glance, but who might change throughtout the series. This would be a nice arc for him, because he seems to be loyal until his own skin is at risk. On the other hand, Demetrius seems to be more straightforward about that. He is loyal to his own principles and will remain at your side as long as you are in his. Galen is very naive, so there should be some conflict between these three at some point, but as a lesson to make him grow and develop character.
athurst123
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athurst123.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by athurst123 »

Those two do seem a little rough around the edges, so I can see why you would ask that. In my opinion, I think they are just about the only ones Galen can trust.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”