Rowan and Demetrius ~ should Galen trust them?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Intel
Favorite Author: Sarah Dessen
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intel.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
fav_author_id: 3879

Re: Rowan and Demetrius ~ should Galen trust them?

Post by Intel »

I have the same motion to believe they are untrustworthy. While Rowan is just the benefactor helping Galen out he seems more trustworthy than Demetrius, who is overly friendly for a clergy type monk. The whole subject of magic adds to this distrust.
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

I think Rowan and Demetrius are two great characters Galen could trust. Their partnership as well as their complementing role to one another left much to be desired.
Vine Michael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

valeriejane wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 16:12 I don't trust Rowan. I think he is a tad sneaky and hiding something. Furthermore, I think Demetrius is cut from the same cloth as Rowan and he also has a hidden agenda. They took an immediate dislike to each other because they are so much alike. Similar to it takes a thief to catch a thief.

Although I these two may have nefarious motives, and I enjoy the contention and I believe they add depth to the story.

Do I have this all wrong?
Should Galen trust Rowan or Demetrius?
I would like to know what you think?
~ Valerie
I agree wholeheartedly with you. Rowan is too shady to be trusted. While reading this book I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop especially when it comes to Rowan.
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by OB Brian »

valeriejane wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 16:12 I don't trust Rowan. I think he is a tad sneaky and hiding something. Furthermore, I think Demetrius is cut from the same cloth as Rowan and he also has a hidden agenda. They took an immediate dislike to each other because they are so much alike. Similar to it takes a thief to catch a thief.

Although I these two may have nefarious motives, and I enjoy the contention and I believe they add depth to the story.

Do I have this all wrong?
Should Galen trust Rowan or Demetrius?
I would like to know what you think?
~ Valerie
Perhaps not. But I think it is too early to judge them. Besides, Galen's uncle trusted Rowan to find him in his homeland, and Rowan risked his life doing so. As for the monk, it is the two that seek his help. I agree, Rowan and Demetrius are very different, but Galen has brought them together as he will many more times.
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

RobinBennet wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 10:15 I absolutely adore Rowan and Demetrius. Rowan is definitely hiding something and probably so does Demetrius but I dont think it is something that's gonna hurt Galen necessarily. I think they are thrustworthy. The one I cant seem to trust at all is Galan... I just find it hard to believe that a refugee for a place that is described as hell on earth is an innocent and completly ignorant to the world man. I think he is the one we should be afraid of. You should never trust a survivor untill you learn what he he had to do to survive.
I couldn't agree more with what you said. I don't think Rowan and Demetrius have any ulterior motives with respect to Galen at least; and they seem genuinely fond of him. They might be having their own dark pasts and selves but I would really look out for Galen the most.
raj_nandani_poet
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raj-nandani-poet.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Post by raj_nandani_poet »

This was a question that popped into my head when Galen decided to join Rowan into another journey. It was too spontaneous even for a boy from the Land of Princes, especially for a boy from that place. I guess it was a 50-50 chance which our protagonist took to join Rowan. The journey together led them to Demetrius, whom I trusted more than Rowan at that time. By the end of the book, I started trusting both Rowan and Demetrius, so in my view, Rowan should trust them.
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

They both make the book more interesting. I especially love their banter and how they always ire each other. I think they're both good for Galen and it's good that Galen has people by his side in a land so new.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

I had my doubts about trusting them at first as well, but after reading the first three books, I definitely think it will be unwise for Galen not to trust them because they've shown loyalty.
anw516
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anw516.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by anw516 »

I definitely see why you wouldn't trust either of them! I think they both are hiding something, but I get the feeling that Demetrius is a lot less trustworthy than Rowan.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I wouldn't trust Rowan as far as I could throw him. I didn't like him one bit. On the other hand, I do trust Demetrius.

However, Galen shouldn't be very trusting with either. He is too obviously naïve for his own good.
Martina A J
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-a-j.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Martina A J »

I do feel that all three are hiding something. Rowan appears to be carefree and arrogant, but he is the one who discovers the existence of the magic stones and helps procure a sample. I suspect he knows a lot more about the things happening in Voulhire than he lets on. Demetrius is quiet, well read, is a mage and an imbuer. He also does not convey a lot about himself to his friends. But the most mysterious is Galen. How can someone who survived years of war be that naive. However, I don't think any of these people are a threat to each other. I predict that they have hidden strengths that will become more obvious in the later books and will form a good partnership to protect Voulhire.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

I think both characters are quite mysterious. There is something about Rowan that causes suspicion, there are definite hints of a chequered past and uncertainty about his personal motivations for his friendship with Galen. Demetrius too seems to have a hidden agenda but seems to me to be more trustworthy than Rowan. I like both the characters as they bring intrigue to the book and it will be great to follow their journeys, I hope they do have Galen’s interests at heart and are faithful to him. Demetrius and Rowan certainly take at instant dislike to one another, maybe it’s because they are similar or maybe they know more than they are letting on.
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

Rowan and Demetrius may have met before. I noticed it from the little details provided when there is a change in perspective to their thoughts. Regarding the matter of trust, there are people that you feel that you can trust during the first meeting. There are also people that you cannot fully trust despite knowing them for a longer period of time. Therefore, it's best for Galen to trust in his instinct. After all, it has kept him alive in his chaotic native land.
Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Manning Up:(PoesyEssays Of Women's Interest) by Mr.Bigmann Grier

Post by Tayejim1 »

Considering all the help that Rowan has rendered to Galen, I think it is enough to trust him. Although it is obvious that Rowan stuck with Galen because of what he (Rowan) stands to gain, I still choose to trust him because he is so helpful. Demetrius on the other hand has not done as much as Rowan has.
dtbrannon
Currently Reading: Making Sense of Life Explaining Genes & Telepathy
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtbrannon.html
Latest Review: Riven Calyx by Mark Leon Collins

Post by dtbrannon »

Being that Galen is starting out in a new town, with a new business that he knows very little about, he would be wise to trust someone, at least until he learns enough to make an informed decision.

Rowan comes across as sneaky and full of mischief, but he is fun to be around, and more important handy to have around.

I'm not completely sure about the monk, Demetrius; but as the old saying goes, innocent until proven guilty. And don't forget, Demetrius is one of the few people that know how to work certain metals. This may prove important in the later books, which I have not read at this point.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”