War of The Minds.

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Re: War of The Minds.

Post by Eutoc »

A lot of people are saying it's Meldorath but I beg to differ. Meldorath seeked for knowledge -though a dark one - along the way he acquired the knowledge and power came along.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
imet123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imet123.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by imet123 »

Lor Meldorath is the most power hungry character, fueled with plans of revenge from betrayal. I do not think any of them would use power well if given to them
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

I think Lord Meldorath was the one seeking power the most. He was bent on even getting to Caromentis to be able to put outclass any rivalry.
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

At this point, we can't really figure out who wanted power the most. I think it's not a question of who deserves power but who will grab the opportunity to be in power. This is the Land of opportunity after all. Success happens when opportunity and desire meet.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

Eutoc wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 01:45 A lot of people are saying it's Meldorath but I beg to differ. Meldorath seeked for knowledge -though a dark one - along the way he acquired the knowledge and power came along.
I agree. He's willing to do dark actions to acquire this knowledge, but I don't think he's really searching for power. That may change though, if he becomes bitter and starts to search for power to get revenge.
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

The leader of the Riva Rohavi seeks for destruction and domination. The Chancellor hides his thoughts and motives in the guise of his easy-going aura. The King seems to tire. However, Meldorath is a hidden boss in my impression.
Bits Of Inkling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bits-of-inkling.html
Latest Review: Awakening by Tayma Tameem

Post by Bits Of Inkling »

Larkspur wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 10:14 In the book, the Mianora council, the king and other leaders all have a mental war over power. They all seek to have the most control over Voulhire. Who do you think is the person seeking power the most and who actually deserves it?
I believe Vidius Crodai wanted power. He was the one who puts effort to build a strong Riva Rohavi. And that rebel insurgents has been fighting against Voulhire for a hundred years now.

King Wilhelm is already on the throne, all he could do is to protect it. But, it seems he is afraid that one day, Voulhire will be destroyed in his time. He mentioned that he was not a strong king compare to the others. Wilhelm is a good leader, and he deserves to be there. Though kindness won't make you stay forever. It could cost him his own life.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I'll put my money on Lord Meldorath! He is focused, talented, and he has the means to grasp all the power. I'm looking forward to discover if I am correct.
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Prudence Emillian »

Hey Larkspur. I think that the person most greedy for power is Chancellor Maido. He loves being in control and is a manipulative man. He tries to manipulate Prince Darius to become king so that he may have control over the kingdom, especially since Prince Darius does not seem interested in matters of the kingdom. To me, the most deserving of power would have to be King Wilhelm. His interests for the kingdom are genuine and we can see this through his choice of lord Eldus, a loving and caring man, leading Hillport.
SarahShebl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahshebl.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by SarahShebl »

I think that Meldorath is seeking power the most. I didn't read the rest of the books yet, but he probably doesn't deserve it. I also feel uneasy towards Wilhelm. I believe that if Galen had the power, it'd be in good hands.
_Bokeh
Favorite Book: The King of May
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bokeh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by _Bokeh »

I think that the character who is seeking power the most is meldorath. He ries to use magic to explore Caromentis and ahs used his abilities to create a reputation that he is all powerful. I don't think he deserves power though, since he is obsessed with it. I would vouch for Wilhelm and Lord Eldus.
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

PhoeNyxFrost wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 09:02 I think the most power-hungry of all would be the Riva Rohavi (or the "Host") if I consider the whole characters in book 1. They have expressed how much they wanted to take over Voulhire time and again. Maido just wants to twist a person's life, seeing the injustices just for the fun of it was his pastime and it so happens that the King is one of those people. Meldorath for me is just a person addicted to knowledge, he wants to learn more- especially things unknown to the normal world, he wants to reach heights that were never before seen and he doesn't care about Voulhire, its rules and its people or its authorities (and so the mysterious imprisonment). The King is too unaware to be someone who should be in power or who wants power. Eldus is a humble person who deserves the world and probably the only one who deserves power because he actually cares.
I like your point about Riva seeking power. It did seem like they were on the verge of going after the entire kingdom and what happened was only the beginning. It's difficult to know what exactly Meldorath is after, but I agree with you that it is mostly knowledge. Eldus was such a great character and I loved seeing him interact with the citizens. It's a shame the one decent person had to die.
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

I think that if your only aim is to have power, you don't really deserve it. However, I am not quite sure if this is a fight for power or something different. There are certain hints that is a matter of control and different ideas on how the world is and should be. Magic is also involved, and knowledge.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

I would say it is Lord Meldorath that seeks the most power. King Wilhem seems like a good and noble king; he deserves to rule Voulhire.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

Not a single one of them deserves the power, but if I had to choose, it would be Wilhelm. He seems like a good ruler and king for his people. He let the immigrants into the warmth of his land.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”