If you could change one thing about the book?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Re: If you could change one thing about the book?

Post by Tarilan »

I wouldn't have let Eldus Alderman die a petty death. Hillport was starting to embrace the new plans he had for them. He hadn't executed any of them. Eventually he died an unsatisfied man. I wouldn't mind if he died later in the book after bringing development. Atleast people would remember him with respect. I guess the author just wanted to make sure that we understand how dangerous the Riva Rohavi and Meldorath were.
Monishka Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monishka-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Monishka Sharma »

I would've liked to see hillport flourish under lord Eldus. People of Hillport deserve better and deserve to be happy.
Ayora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayora.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ayora »

If I could change one thing, I would remove everything concerned with magic. It made the story a little less believable.
Liz Alice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liz-alice.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Liz Alice »

I really enjoyed the book, and I won't change most of it. But if I could change something, then Lord Eldus and his family would still be alive. He was one of the best characters, and it would have been nice to see him succeed where his predecessors had failed.
The book to read is not the one that thinks for you, but the one which makes you think.
Chiawa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiawa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chiawa »

Ellylion wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 07:04 If it were up to me, Lord Eldus would survive... I understand that his death was a necessary evil so to say - for more drama, but he is still among my most beloved characters of the series.
My thoughts exactly! I would have kept him alive or presumed dead then reveal him later. His death is tragic but ironically, I love the twist it gives the book.
reeves
Currently Reading: Interpreter Of Maladies
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reeves.html
Latest Review: Memory Thieves by Tayma Tameem
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by reeves »

I agree with a lot of the comments above in that I wished for more character development, especially in Galen who seems like will be the main protagonist. I think there were too many characters introduced and it got a little confusing so to remedy that, either make the book longer to really flesh out each character/city or focus on a few pivotal ones (like Galen!).
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html

Post by Wordlessly »

As the book is only an introduction to the rest of the series so I will judge it as one but I still craved for a more substantial plot in this book and the ending to be better fleshed out.
naomilupton_98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomilupton-98.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by naomilupton_98 »

Personally, I think Galen may have been a tad too optimistic upon his arrival in Voulhire. Coming from a war-torn territory, I'd have imagined he'll bring along some emotional baggage.

I get what many people recon about the characters being too one-dimensional... but I think it works. Considering that Matthew Tysz is planning a nine-part series, there is lots of opportunities to develop characters.

Lord Eldus was, in my opinion, the best-rounded character. I would have, by some miracle, spared him at the end. (Yes, I wept like a baby when he died.)
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 350

Post by Tars »

If I had a chance, I would have spared myself and everyone else grief over Lord Eldus tragic death. I understand why authors have to add such details to story, but I hate loss of main characters, especially that well written and so much liked ones.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I just wished it would have been longer! I found it quite short for a first book of a series.
Liz Alice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liz-alice.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Liz Alice »

I think the book was rather good for a first installment, though it could do with a bit more character development. If it were up to me, Lord Eldus and his family won't be murder. And Galen's great uncle would have found him sooner. He won't have spent so much of life in the Lands of the Princes.
The book to read is not the one that thinks for you, but the one which makes you think.
NashTanui
Favorite Book: The Trafficking Murders
Currently Reading: The Not So Great American Novel
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nashtanui.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by NashTanui »

I wouldn't have allowed Lord Eldus to die. I had developed a liking towards him and it tore my heart apart to see him die so early 😢
jeetramjat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeetramjat.html

Post by jeetramjat »

I think more background stories of Alabaster the biomage. The only thing known about him is that in the past he was Meldorath's mentor.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

I would like more descriptions of secenry in the book. And I also think that biomage should get a background story and name. He definitely deserves it.
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I would have tried to make the book more realistic in its alternative world with respect to dialogue. For me, some of the characters' speech patterns and choice of words seemed more contemporary to our society and out of place in Voulhire. The smattering of profanities are a part of that and felt out of place. So, I suppose it was this that created a tone about the book that I didn't like.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”