Prince Darius

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Re: Prince Darius

Post by Prudence Emillian »

Hi Ann, I agree, the character of Prince Darius does seem out of place. Especially his lack of interest in the matters of the kingdom. He seems to live in his own world, oblivious to what happens around him.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Prince Darius was an interesting character. He was portrayed as a spoiled, self-centered child - and yet he was the only member of the family that survived the attack! We will see how this tragedy affects his character.
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by luchi123 »

Yes, I felt his preferred sport was out of place too while reading the book. This first book has a lot of characters and settings that could be developed in subsequent books. Prince Darius is one of them and I hope that was more prominent in the others.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Prince Darius definitely stuck out as different from the times and the other characters, but I think he was meant to be like that. He may just be an interesting side-character for now, but I think he will have an important role to play in the books to come.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Stephmagero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Stephmagero »

I feel like even though his character didn't fit in with the rest, prince Darius's role may be more significant in the future.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

He was an odd character, I agree. I think there is so much we don't know about him, I think he has a lot of potential to become quite the character, either good or bad.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Bibliogn0st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliogn0st.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B07Q3T2RZF

Post by Bibliogn0st »

I honestly didn't really care about Prince Darius's character. It's was no fun to read this character. I wanted to skip his part. He was unbearable and boring at the same time.
T_Tobbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-tobbs.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Post by T_Tobbs »

Krista Ash wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 13:52
ClaZig wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 07:20 To be honest, I'm not very fond of Darius. Despite being the heir, I found him exceptionally stereotypical and quite boring. Nonetheless, I wonder how he could have become such a bland person considering his father's character. The king seems to be someone who highly values progress, popular well being, and culture, but his son simply did not inherit those features. This makes me wonder how different the king might be in his personal life. Also, I guess Darius personality opens space for a huge character development in the future, so I kind of understand why Tysz would portray him like that. However, I think the author exaggerated.
I agree that Darius and Wilhelm are opposites. Darius doesn't seem to care about anything political, but when he talks Maido, he implies that he has a pretty good relationship with his father. Based on Wilhelm's opinions though, he doesn't seem like he cares about Darius. I'm curious where their relationship will go.
I don't think it's that Wilhelm doesn't care about Darius, I think it's more like he doesn't know how to handle him. Darius doesn't seem to fit the typical expectations for a prince. While, yes, he's a bit of a rebel but in his case he isn't doing it to get his father's attention. It's actually very intriguing when you think about it. What exactly makes him tick? Is he really an unimportant character as he's painted out to be or there's something else going on that we aren't aware of yet.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

Stephmagero wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 12:14 I feel like even though his character didn't fit in with the rest, prince Darius's role may be more significant in the future.
That is exactly my feeling: Darius was just introduced in this volume. There are plenty of volumes to come where I am sure he will display his full-fledged personality.
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

As much as Darius seems irrelevant, am hoping that will change. King Wilhelm has almost failed to deal with the evil around Voulhire. I hope Darius changes his mind about the throne.
K+SQUARE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-square.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by K+SQUARE »

Prince Darius is one character whose relevance to the storyline is still obscured. I also find it curious that he is usually engaged in exercise whenever he comes up in the book.
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

While he does act like a spoilt teenager, I don't think he is irrelevant as he is the prince. I'm pretty sure he will play some part in the future books and that's why we see only a glimpse of his character.
Liz Alice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liz-alice.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Liz Alice »

Prince Darius is rather out of character in the background of Voulhire. But every good story has a weird character, and Prince Darius seems to be that weird one. But even though he's the only prince, he doesn't have his eyes set on the throne. Considering what's going on in the Lands of the Princes, it's quite ironic. I think the author uses him to show us what it would be like if their roles were reversed.
The book to read is not the one that thinks for you, but the one which makes you think.
jeetramjat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeetramjat.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by jeetramjat »

I liked King Wilhelm but I didn't like Prince Darius, he's manipulative and he doesn't care about the consequences of his actions.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I admit that Darius' character introduction was rather jarring, but calling him useless when we don't know his - or any character really - role in the plot is a bit hasty. I don't think the jogging bit and his method of speech is enough to say he doesn't mesh with the Voulhirian landscape - there's almost always an odd duck in every scenario.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”