Is the plot really original?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Re: Is the plot really original?

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

pricklypurple wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 16:29 I think in this genre, it's hard to be original. A lot of these plots based around the Middle Ages seem to have similarities, and they tend to all blend together.
Indeed, when we are talking about books about Middle Ages there's always magic, royalty, monsters, heroes and villains. With this book it isn't so different. Still, the author constructed another world in this genre.
plnjimenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plnjimenez.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by plnjimenez »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 06:02 Matthew Tysz brings in this novel a fascinating story with magic, some mysterious characters, and a lot more. I loved the book and thought that it was well-developed with an engaging and gripping plot. However, I also thought that it resembled other books I read about a medieval world with magical powers, heroes, kings, evil, and good. Do you think that the story is indeed unique or a common variation of the Middle Ages books?
Originality is indeed debated. We encounter so many things throughout our daily lives. Some we pay great attention to, some just by passing. These accumulate and are stored in our minds. Our creations, which we think are original, could just be products of inspiration and not imagination. However, I would still like to commend the plot twists in this book.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

Despite the semblance to other stories, I find this story unique. It's a norm to have stories portray evil and good, the theme of war and even magic but blending science and magic in the way the author did is exceptional.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I think that books set in a certain time period always have some similarities to it, but the author's writing skill makes each book unique. I agree that many of the concepts have been used frequently in books like the Lord of the Rings series. I have yet to read about a book that combines science and fantasy that way that the author does in his books.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

rahilshajahan wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 13:58 The idea of evil vs good is as old as time. Any book you pick will have an idea of evil or some concept of good. I think the story is original with interesting characters and a pick of modern day situations. So, its not a common variation of Middle Ages books.
I agree. All books, in one way or another, have a subjacent plot of good vs. evil, but the originality comes from the way it's executed.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I was reminded of other fantasy books especially in this first book. But as I continued reading the series, I noticed that this series can stand on its own even with few similrities.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

I think the plot of the story is very original. The author has managed to create his own mythological concepts for the story. There are some common concepts like the power play between the officials, war for the throne etc.. but ultimately the story is very unique and original.
RKeinath
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rkeinath.html
Latest Review: The Dragon Pillars: Water & Fire by Sanzaki Kojika

Post by RKeinath »

I think most books have elements to them that are unique to them and reminiscent of other works as well. It is difficult not to since we have those who broke the ground, which to me also includes the likes of the Viking sagas with magic and new worlds. Then further on we have Tolkein, C.S Lewis, and so many more who brought us more fantasy stories that continue to inspire and ignite the imagination.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I think this book was slightly unoriginal, as it was cliche and it was very similar to other fantasy novels. The lack of originality in the book was in fact one of the things I really disliked in this book.
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

This is definitely a unique one. The unexpected plots coupled with the magic and the battle for power makes it unique for me.
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Prudence Emillian »

I think the story is unique. However, it is hard to tell with just reading the first book. Perhaps there may be similarities to other Middle Ages books but we cannot tell. Tysz may bring a twist to the story or change it in a completely different way.
Thoto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thoto.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Thoto »

The magic and war between good and evil is a common tangent in fantastical stories. Nothing new on that front.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

rahilshajahan wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 13:58 The idea of evil vs good is as old as time. Any book you pick will have an idea of evil or some concept of good. I think the story is original with interesting characters and a pick of modern day situations. So, its not a common variation of Middle Ages books.
True. I think books like this tend to have the same central theme of good vs evil. Where this book departs from the bandwagon is in the way the author portrayed his characters and his unique plot structure.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

Considering I don't read a lot of books from this genre I can't speak to the originality, but A New Arrival was definitely a unique experience for me.
Nelson Lyric
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-lyric.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Lyric »

Despite the concept being variable, I deeply think there is no plot in this book that reads as exactly as the books you have alined.

Let me clear the wind, I will give you an example of Lyrics. Two different musicians can compose two different songs with literally similar lyrics but with different melodies. What i mean to say is that the books may varie with each other due to thier genres otherwise at the end of it all; they are different books with different plots but sharing the same genre.

So I do not think the stories are the same. This book is really unique. I love the fact that, the author overwhelmed the reader in understanding the nation's structure (by including the map of the kingdom), history, beliefs and notions in relation with the magical world of Caromentis.
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :no-spoil:

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”