Is the plot really original?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Awesomeliker
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awesomeliker.html
Latest Review: The Demon of the Well by James B. Hendricks

Re: Is the plot really original?

Post by Awesomeliker »

I think the story is original in its own unique way. It might seem similar to other fantasy novels but in this book we get the perspective of many different people which is something I have only found in another 2 books. Overall the story is very interesting and unique to me.
Live your life in a way that you won't look back and regret things :D
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

Although there are some themes that are reminiscent of other books, I think that this is a very unique story. Fighting for power and Thrones has a very medieval tone that did remind me of shows, such as Game of thrones. Also there was a touch of, Lord of the Rings, with the inclusion of magic. Although there are these similarities, the cosmos and caromentis made the story different and really original.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Personally (and based off of the many books I've read), I think books tell all the same stories but the authors just give them their own twist and make it a version of their own. I don't know if I'm making sense right now? But that's how I see it too with this book.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 06:02 Matthew Tysz brings in this novel a fascinating story with magic, some mysterious characters, and a lot more. I loved the book and thought that it was well-developed with an engaging and gripping plot. However, I also thought that it resembled other books I read about a medieval world with magical powers, heroes, kings, evil, and good. Do you think that the story is indeed unique or a common variation of the Middle Ages books?
To be fair, every book in any given genre are a variation of one another. In medieval stories, for instance, you'll always find overlapping elements: magic, magical creatures, spells, kings, princes, lands under siege, a prophesy foretold of some ordinary peasant becoming great, a wizard (or wizards), etc. But this doesn't make 'A New Arrival Under Great Skies' an unoriginal plot by any means. I think the author simply found a good mix of some of the elements mentioned above and crafted a good plot with them. I have read stories in the medieval/SciFi/fantasy genre with similarities to this one, but I haven't come across a story EXACTLY like it.
ashleymarie310
Currently Reading: To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Bookshelf Size: 519

Post by ashleymarie310 »

I think every book you read will have some themes or ideas that are similar to previous books. This isn't the first time someone's written about magic or created a mythological world; however, the author's world is originally theirs. I think it's hard to objectively say that any work nowadays is 100% original; however, it's what the author does with the "good vs bad" theme that makes their work original.
Maddie Atkinson
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: A Date with Justice
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I think a lot of books like this resemble each other. The ideas and plot are original, but the concept is not. I have read similar books, but they are unique in their own way. It's hard to home up with an original concept these days, but I would say that the author has done well in coming up with their own ideas to create a unique story of an old concept!!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Myshara Herbert-McMyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mysharal.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Myshara Herbert-McMyn »

Interesting question! I think that it is very similar to other fantasy and science-fiction novels, but the difference comes in when he combines the classic fantasy elements that draw in long-time fantasy readers (like knights and kings and castles) with the mystery of another magical realm that has some connection to this "real" world. Caromentis and its legend-turned-reality are going to make this world stand out from others in both genres.

I've only read the first book, but I can tell you I've never read a book quite like this one.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

The story is definitely different and unique. But the concept of good and evil, the magical world, etc. can be seen in many other stories as well.
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

From my stand point, the plot of the book is original maybe because I have not read a lot of nonfiction medieval books. The plot, characters, scenes, set and even the map of Voulhire the author provided were unique, well developed, imaginative and very creative.
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

You are right. This book's outline and plot takes on semblance of most sci fi books out there. It was just filled up with characters with captivating names and that alone is the difference.
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I feel like the author created an original story with commonly used tropes like good Vs evil. The story is quite unique and I love the fact that it explores the multiverse theory.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I don't think the plot was a strong point of this book. However, that was fine because this book did a good job of building characters and world details.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

The author has most certainly done a good job in creating a world and a magic system. I don't think it resembles the plot of another book. The story is unique, and I haven't read anything like it.
Creating a world and a magic system is difficult, but it has been well done in 'We are Voulhire'
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

In my opinion, the plot is unique and very intriguing. I have never read a book like this.
caina3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caina3.html
Latest Review: Pearl River Mansion by Richard Schwartz

Post by caina3 »

Hi, I think that the story has many similarities to other books in the genre, but there are also enough novelty ideas that make it unique as well. Sometimes I question the need for an author to create something so different that I am disappointed because I did not get what I wanted or expected from the book. I read a certain type of book and watch certain types of movies because that is what entertains me. Making something in a genre too different frustrates me. I like being able to count on the parameters of a genre, for the most part, so that I am taken to a different world that I am familiar with. I am certainly ok with some things being different and creative license; I think this book certainly has those differences, but too much novelty may be overwhelming.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”