Goodbye Lord Eldus

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Goodbye Lord Eldus

Post by kdstrack »

His death was was surprise. He seemed to have a genuine interest in his city and the people. I admired his efforts to help the children. Even more surprising was the fact that it was his son who survived.
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

Yes, totally. I was heartbroken. I wanted to cry my heart out. And I hate Maido more than I hate Umbridge for that. And it wasn't just Eldus, his entire family except for his son died. That was a tragedy. After all that he was doing, after all that success, even with all that he would have done, he has to die. He had to die a failure. And that Maido has to make the king doubt where Eldus's loyalties lie.

:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
electricapple
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-electricapple.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by electricapple »

Miriam Molina wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 13:54 I believe the destruction of Hillport is the author's way of portraying the sinister nature of the Riva. I can't imagine how dancing can accompany killing. Will a movie director rise to the challenge?
I kept trying to imagine how on earth they could be fighting while dancing :shock2: I would love to see that portrayed in a TV series.

I didn’t expect to lose a major character so soon. I guess it sets the pace of the rest of the series. And lets the reader know that no one is safe!
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

Just like they say, you never see it coming. This was the case for the people of Voulhire. Lord Eldus didn't have to die but I believe the author had a plan and revenge wasn't a part of it!
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

Lord Eldus was an amazing character but I was definitely a bit surprised. I also couldn't help but see a few family parallels between the Stark family from Game of Thrones and Lord Eldus's family including the death of the father.
fancyjg
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fancyjg.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fancyjg »

I was heartbroken by his death Lord Eldus was such a great person and leader though in Voulhire only the strong survive, I came to appreciate that at the end.
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Prudence Emillian »

I agree. I was also shocked at his sudden and rushed death. I can't help but feel that Tysz wasted a good character. The potential Lord Eldus showed was great.
Urbashi Basu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ub-10.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Urbashi Basu »

Yes, Eldus's demise was shocking. I was hoping that the family had discovered the hideouts. I am hopefully certain that the son is going to resurface in other books.
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

Eldus was definitely my favorite character. It was also interesting because like many of you already said, a good portion of the book focused on him. Actually, most of this book's plot revolved around his character. Honestly Galen didn't seem to have a whole lot going on... yet. I imagine his part will pick up in future novels, but this one was definitely centered around Eldus. It was rather abrupt that he just got offed. I'm hoping that Marshus will come back in future books, though. I think I liked him maybe even a little more than Eldus.
Thoto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thoto.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Thoto »

He was one of my favourites. It is rare to see such honesty in leaders and people in power. I would have read an entire series if he was the main character.
deborahveader
Favorite Book: The Perfect Husband: An FBI Profiler Novel
Currently Reading: To Own Two Suns
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborahveader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by deborahveader »

I felt the same way. I was not expecting him and his entire family (except his son) to be killed. It was like, what was the point of including them in the story?
Lila Randhawa
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lila-randhawa.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by Lila Randhawa »

I liked Lord Eldus' story. I was shocked and disappointed by his abrupt demise. I think his potential was wasted to bring Meldorath back from prison or I don't know if it served another purpose. I also wonder that the King sent Lord Eldus, whom he trusted, to an already distressed place without adequate protection. Or the place that had already witnessed cruelty at the hands of magic was left unmanned during this turbulent time. Is something wrong with the King's rule in Vaulhire? I guess I will have to read the entire series to find out!
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

I felt sad that he had to die at the end. However, I think his character seemed a bit dull. He had good intentions and a strong will, but he seemed to be a bit naive and oblivious. I think it is really tragic that his dead was so fast and easy and couldn't get to do any more in the plot, but I do believe that is a lesson of how sometimes life is unfair.
Moira15
Currently Reading: The Liar's Key
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moira15.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Moira15 »

It was a surprise, for sure, but I think a great one. I liked his character, but "fortunately" the author didn't bring him too close to us, readers, and this way it was just enough for being a sign of great series to come. He showed just enough to make you feel related to and interested in him, but not to a level of "breaking hearts". :)
Reitumetse_R
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reitumetse-r.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Reitumetse_R »

He was my favorite character and his passing was a real blower. I am just glad his son is still here and I trust he'll make me proud

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”