We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies: Alternating Points of view

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Re: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies: Alternating Points of view

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

I'm okay with this style of writing. I get to know more about the characters through this. It also makes the story more immersive as the characters have different perspective and thoughts about the events in the story.
tasteph1364
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tasteph1364.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by tasteph1364 »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 06:41 I think the alternating point of view was one of the best features of this book. It painted a clearer and more elaborate picture of Voulhire, it also helped me to understand and sympathize with the characters better. Indeed it added depth to the book. Telling Galen's story in the first-person perspective kinda sets him out as the protagonist, although his main purpose in the story is yet to be revealed.
I have to agree with Ann on this. I was impressed that the author was able to maintain coherence in the story while using this technique.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I like this style because as a reader I can connect to the story along with the characters emotions. For example- Galen and the reader are both new to Voulhire, so through Galen I can experience Voulhire just as if I visited the place for the first time.
GatugiM
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatugim.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by GatugiM »

I think this style of writing gives the reader an opportunity to understand a character and how the respond to a situation. For instance, we know things that Galen does not. Reading from his point of view shows us how well he can handle a situation.
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by luchi123 »

I liked the way he used the first narrative for Galen, even though he did not feature in a large portion of the tale. It keeps him in the mind of the reader as a major character in the story.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

I like the use of different points of view because I feel like it provided alternating perspectives throughout the novel. If the novel was through one character's eyes, like Galen's for example, it wouldn't have given the same depth and context
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

The change of perspectives throughout the story was one of the best parts. I also like that it switched between different point of views. It made some of what we learned about characters really biased because it was told only through their perspectives. At other times we get the narration from a narrator outside the story looking in and they seem to know everything. It was at times hard to tell when these switches happened but I think they made for a richer story.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

when the author changes narrators, it gives a sense of belonging to reader towards each character. It makes the story interesting and adds extra depth to the plot.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
Bevandjen
Currently Reading: Behind those Heels
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Bevandjen »

I can definitely see this book as a movie or series like the Marvel Universe. I like that it doesn't read like it is old English or set in mid-evil times or to far into the future, but it reads as parallel to our own universe. I enjoyed this book. There are parts that read a little dry, but I just imagine them as scenes in a movie and it picks right back up again. I like reading books that allow me to envision what it would look like as a movie.
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

I thought the writing style with multiple points of view was interesting, and that it lent well to the story by giving the reader multipe perspectives; especially interesting were the sections where the reader was given insight into the minds of those on the 'bad' side as well as the 'good' side.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

I really liked that the author alternated the point of view between his characters. It gives the reader an opportunity to see things from different characters perspective. Which would have been impossible otherwise. I also liked that author used first person point of view for Galen. It made his parts to be highlighted.
theskillsgirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theskillsgirl.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by theskillsgirl »

I always enjoy when an author decides to lay out his book with telling each characters story. Then those characters lives are interwoven together. The reader gets to see how their stories eventually all fit together and how the characters interact with one another. I also liked how each chapter was on a different character, and it was labeled as the chapter heading, so the reader knew exactly who they were reading about and didn’t have to guess. Organizing a book in this way helps the reader see a land, a people, through a ton of different perspectives. Therefore the reader gets to see the depth of the land and the people. It was beautifully written.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

Marty_Kelly wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 01:39 Most of the story is told in the third-person point of view with the chapters alternating between different characters. Did you like this style? Do you think it added extra depth to the story?
I think the alternating points of view are essential to this story since so many things are going on at the same time. The author can't show all this through one person's point of view. The story would be too bland.
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

anua24060 wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 00:05
Marty_Kelly wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 01:39 Most of the story is told in the third-person point of view with the chapters alternating between different characters. Did you like this style? Do you think it added extra depth to the story?
I think the alternating points of view are essential to this story since so many things are going on at the same time. The author can't show all this through one person's point of view. The story would be too bland.
I don't know if "bland" is the right word. On the other hand, the series is describing events that occur at different places within a sizeable country. No one person can keep track of everything that's happening. Galen, being a newly-arrived immigrant, doesn't have the needed background to understand Voulhirian politics or traditions. Lord Eldus does have that background, but he can't know about what might be happening in Soulhire or Virko, and his new duties kept him in Hillport.
Lila Randhawa
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lila-randhawa.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by Lila Randhawa »

Alternating viewpoints come in handy in understanding what different characters think. But, it can be confusing and can take some getting used to. I found it complicated to begin with. It got better as I progressed.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”