Are There Immigration Issues, and What Are the Possibilities of Galen Falling in Love With the New Nation?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Re: Are There Immigration Issues, and What Are the Possibilities of Galen Falling in Love With the New Nation?

Post by iammiape »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 00:29 Settling in a new region has its fair share of challenges. Galen immigrated to Voulhire. Did he fall in love with the new nation? What are some of the challenges he faced as an immigrant? Did his uncle make it easier for him to settle down as an immigrant? Did the author extend the possibilities of an immigrant being successful in a new nation? Would it have been easier if he was immigrating from Voulhire to Lands of the Princes?
Galen definitely is in love with Voulhire, particularly Magnum Caleum. I think that even if it was not in Voulhire he was destined to arrive, he will still automatically love the location since even an undeveloped and simple place is a much better option than in the Lands of the Princes. His uncle made sure that he'll have the necessities upon arriving in a new land, that comprised of home, business, and money. I think his uncle did everything he was capable to do for Galen.
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 00:29 Settling in a new region has its fair share of challenges. Galen immigrated to Voulhire. Did he fall in love with the new nation? What are some of the challenges he faced as an immigrant? Did his uncle make it easier for him to settle down as an immigrant? Did the author extend the possibilities of an immigrant being successful in a new nation? Would it have been easier if he was immigrating from Voulhire to Lands of the Princes?
Certainly, if he was born in Voulhire he wouldn't even thought of immigrating to the Lands of the Princes even when life's tough in Voulhire. Although there are existing threats in Voulhire, there are still beautiful things their people have that the people in the Princes could only fantasize about. So, it would've been harder for him if he was transferring from Voulhire to the Princes.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 806
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: When Black Shoes Turn Red by Tom McKenna
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

Because Galen has experienced enough tragedies in the Lands of the Princes since his birth, he'll probably consider his new life in Voulhire a blessing. Even though he has come to Voulhire when the political and social conditions here are not in an excellent form, Voulhire still offers more opportunities to make one's life better as compared to what one can do in the Lands of the Princes. As for his uncle, I think he did more than enough by bequeathing his business and home to Galen.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Did he fall in love with the new nation?
The moment he saw the skies, he was mesmerized.

What are some of the challenges he faced as an immigrant?
Culture shock. He couldn't understand why some people were treating others badly.

Did his uncle make it easier for him to settle down as an immigrant?
I think so. He left Galen with lots of money. Without his inheritance, he may not be treated well in Magnum Caelum.

Did the author extend the possibilities of an immigrant being successful in a new nation?
YES. Galen is obviously one of the main characters. Of course he'll be successful!

Would it have been easier if he was immigrating from Voulhire to Lands of the Princes?
Not really. Life in the Lands of the Princes is very harsh, and Galen felt everything in his new home is a luxury.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

I think he's already fallen in love with Voulhire! It's such an improvement over where he came from that I think he has rose-tinted glasses to an extent. I imagine as he adjusts to Voulhire he'll gradually become more cognizant of the issues it has as well. He's definitely facing challenges as he assimilates to the new culture, since some of their behaviours and actions are completely alien to him, but on the whole the majority of people have been kind and helpful to him, like the mayor of Magnum Caelum, and Rowan
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Galen's was a case of "instant citizenship." With Rowan there to guide him and the people of Magnum Caelum being so helpful, especially the mayor, I believe the only issue Galen is facing is adjusting, which he's doing just fine. Galen fell in love with Voulhire, even felt indebted to Rowan for finding him despite Rowan having been paid for it. I don't imagine why anyone would move from Voulhire to the war-torn Lands of the Princes, so no, that would not have been better.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”