Should Uncle Clarence be forgiven?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Swirliegirlie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swirliegirlie.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Re: Should Uncle Clarence be forgiven?

Post by Swirliegirlie »

No no no!! This wasn’t the hardest part of the book to read but it was definitely the only time I disagreed with Miss Lena! What the heck was she doing coming to stop the whole ordeal just to comfort Clarence!? I really related to the Crabby Old Lady but I would of not been so kind and probably kicked Clarence a good one or two while he was down! What an unacceptable pardon in my opinion!
Swirliegirlie
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swirliegirlie.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Swirliegirlie »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 10:22 His past is not enough to excuse Clarence's actions. However, he should be forgiven. Forgiveness does not mean the actions were justified. At the end of the book he was in such a state it didn't seem as though he would be capable of trying the same atrocity again. He was no longer a threat. Not forgiving him would only harm the people holding the grudge, not Clarence.

I can agree that not forgiving him would only cause harm to the other holding grudge but I can’t agree that his behavior in this state could justify he wouldn’t do it again. He already lived through the trauma as a kid and turned into a toxic person. I believe that this added pain might only amplify his bad behaviors whether they be into others or himself.
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

I agree that what Clarence did was wrong. I also agree that all parts of the story revolving around Clarence were poorly written. But one thing I get from that is awareness... Bullying will have different repercussions on different people. A hurt person will eventually hurt another person. And most of all, denying medical help to a mentally sick person is the greatest injustice one can do.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

I don't think his trauma can be used as an excuse for his action. Jamal and his parents put up with Clarence and forgive him for whatever he does, but that's their choice. It doesn't mean the others must do the same thing. In regard of this aspect, I think Maureen needs to give him some strong rejection, too. Her ambiguous attitude toward Clarence is part of the reason he can go that far, as he may think of it as a silent approval from her. The LeeRoyce family should have sought for psychological help to fix Clarence as well.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

I feel that Uncle Clarence childhood trauma should not be an excuse. He should be helped responsible for his actions. :cry:
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
_khush_p
Favorite Book: Strong Heart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khush-p.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by _khush_p »

If I ever came across some Uncle Clarence, i would report them to the police and if I can, i would see to it that the person gets the psychological help that he needs.
I really did not like how Clarence's behaviour in the book was just written off because of his traumatic past. His family seemed decent enough, was therapy a taboo back then? He could have been treated and even though he wouldn't have been able to change his past, at least his past wouldn't affect his present life.
Not just in books, but also in real life, excusing someone's condemnable actions based on trauma will never be right.
“See the good in everything, and the best of it will find you.”
- We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies.
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

Although Clarence had a tough childhood, his actions should not be forgiven. Even though our experiences shape who we are, we choose our actions. Clarence was in the right state of mind when he tried to take advantage of Maureen. Due to this, he should be punished.
Shirley-Tome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-tome.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Shirley-Tome »

Uncle Clarence needs trauma counselling because no amount of forgiveness will change his behaviour.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I agree with others that Clarence absolutely should not be forgiven. His character was poorly written in my opinion. What happened to him was horrible, but trauma doesn’t excuse his actions. Acting like his trauma somehow excuses him trying to sexually assault Maureen is a dangerous idea that the author seems to perpetuate within the story. I agree that Clarence should have gotten help and therapy, though.
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I don't believe that he should have been forgiven. This was actually one of the parts of the book that I thought could have been resolved better. Having a traumatic past doesn't give you a pass to commit horrendous acts. I would have appreciated it if the author included that he got the help he needed.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

gnwagu1 wrote: 14 Nov 2020, 19:23 Uncle Clarence definitely went too far when he went after Maureen nonconsensual. Should this be forgiven given the trauma he endured as a child? Is his past enough to excuse his actions?
I think he should be disciplined for what he attempted to do to Maureen. Also, I think that his perverted action had nothing to do with his past trauma, but rather with his unseemly sexual attraction to Maureen. Considering that he also regarded Maureen lewdly at their first meeting.
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

You've brought up an important issue that I found to be very frustrating. Uncle Clarence was exhibiting predatory behavior that put others in danger. While it is common for families to normalize alarming behavior, I think this book could have done a better job of addressing the impact of generational trauma and the importance of intervention.
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

Having a bad childhood does not give a person the permission to go harassing other people. Every human being goes through a rough phase, Maureen had also gone through her own but she did not turn out to be a bad person. I believe Clarence's behaviour was encouraged by his mother Lucinda because she did not allow him to grow up and face the world as it is. What happened during his childhood is traumatising, but treating him as a man instead of an overgrown baby would have enhanced his healing. He should not be forgiven for his misbehaviour because he will definitely do it again if he is capable.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

Clarence's attempted rape of Maureen is definitely something that cannot be excused. Besides, his behaviour towards both Maureen and Kalayla were questionable and deplorable. I think the author could have given a better conclusion to Clarence's story. Ideally, he should have apologized to Maureen. And he should be sent to a good therapist to understand and better deal with past trauma, and to know the difference between right and wrong actions.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

He shouldn't have been forgiven. And no excuse for what serious crime he was about to do. If earlier Jamal and family had taken him to a counselling session, he would have been different. But that's another story.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”