Appropriate for Mature teens?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Re: Appropriate for Mature teens?

Post by Gift5 »

Eugenia36Nicholas wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 07:08 Now every one of any age is exposed to so much, and by the end of the story, the characters grow and change in spite of--or maybe due to--grim circumstances. Do you think mature teens can handle the issues raised in the book, or should it be for adults only?
Yes i believe matured teens can handle the issues raised in the book and should be introduced too it and other books like it, it would help the grasp a lot and learn a lot.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

Mature teens can handle this books story and the information it delivers. These days, mature teens can handle anything cos who knows what they've already seen on the Internet 🤷🏼‍♀
Devika Rajesh
Favorite Book: Void
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devika-rajesh.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B076HWYMJQ

Post by Devika Rajesh »

I think mature teens will be able to handle this. They should not be raised in Oblivion. They should be educated about everything, so that they can handle situations like that in the reality
GianKosi77
Favorite Author: M. Curtis McCoy
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giankosi77.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 197138

Post by GianKosi77 »

It is better to be equipped and have knowledge before encountering a situation that everyone has to face in life. Kalayla's story offers critical lessons for ladies who look forward to having families. Therefore, it is appropriate for the mature teens to read this book and use it to gauge themselves.
And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I do believe mature teens could read this book. There are some harsh moments described, specifically within Lena's marriage, that I might want to discuss with my own teen. However, overall, the heavy topics are handled well.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

It is for mature readers because most often Kalayla uses vulgar language and the elders don't reprimand her.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Mature teen books contain more explicit content than Kalayla. Whether adults or mature teens, I wouldn't give it to anyone who is sensitive to the topics addressed in the book. The topics addressed are up to date with our social issues.
Amber_joslyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-joslyn.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Amber_joslyn »

Eugenia36Nicholas wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 07:08 Now every one of any age is exposed to so much, and by the end of the story, the characters grow and change in spite of--or maybe due to--grim circumstances. Do you think mature teens can handle the issues raised in the book, or should it be for adults only?
I think that it's appropriate for mature teens. Many of the issues discussed in this book are experienced by the younger populations. I think that if there is greater representation of these topics in various media platforms, then those that are struggling with these issues might be more willing to open up, talk about it, and heal from whatever trauma they may have experienced.
Swirliegirlie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swirliegirlie.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Swirliegirlie »

Yes I think mature teens could handle the story, and learn from it. There were so many different points of views in the book, one has to be relatable! And if none are related than they would learn how NOT to act. So many adults acted immaturely in this story but they all turn out ok in the end.
kmteter26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmteter26.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by kmteter26 »

I think the book is good for teens because they will find Kalayla so relatable. However, the scenes that reference Lena’s abuse are pretty intense and detailed and they sort of came with no warning. I wasn’t expecting it and I personally found it really difficult to read. Unfortunately, you can’t just skip over it because it’s a vital part to understanding why Lena is the way she is. I think each parent will have to decide individually if their child should be reading the book.
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

I think that mature teens can learn a thing or two from this book. For example, they can learn that parents are not perfect. Parents make mistakes as well. However, this doesn't mean that they don't want the best for their children. Once teens understand this, they will understand most of the decisions that their parents make.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

I think the book is appropriate for mature teens. There is so much to be learned from Kalayla's life. She learnt to look for opportunities and grab them. She grew into a responsible girl.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

I think mature teens will be able to cope up with the dire themes discussed in the book, and this might also bring awareness to a particular issue they didn't know exists.
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

I think that this book could be beneficial for mature teens. However, since it does have heavy topics, it would be helpful for them to have a book club or an adult to debrief with them and help them process the information and discuss implications.
Gabby S14
Favorite Book: All the Light We Cannot See
Currently Reading: The Sound and the Fury
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby-s14.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Gabby S14 »

I posted that this book is suitable only for mature audiences, but I believe that this can absolutely include mature teens. It all comes down to comfort level and open-mindedness. There are wonderful, tough lessons to be learned in this book, so it would be beneficial for growing teens to orient themselves in a safe environment. My keyword here is "safe"! There are a lot of triggering topics discussed in the book, so it is important to be aware of what your limits are so that you are not pushing yourself to finish a book that could be detrimental to your own mental health. So, yes. Mature teens can read this book (and should) but they must also be aware of what they are getting into.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”