Black and White

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Re: Black and White

Post by Arite Seki »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 15:03 Lena is well off. She's the landlord and has been wealthy for quite a good number of years. I don't think the white in her house symbolizes hope. I'm inclined to that idea because when she visits Maureen, she tells her that she loves the vibrant colors of her artistry. You can also notice her cleaning at the laundromat is done regularly. Hence, the white represents her neatness. As for the black dress code, I'd agree it's to symbolize her sorrow and resentment.
I think this is an interesting take on the choice of white in her house in contrast to her all-black clothes. I think this does seem to be the best explanation as the colour signifies an aspect of her personality.
Lhammamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhammamy.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Lhammamy »

I suppose that white in this situation refers to death while black is for grief. Both are connected with not only the loss of her child by death but the loss of her four children who don't want to be family anymore.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Twylla wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 09:46 I think the white unadorned apartment symbolized an emptiness in Lena's life. She didn't consider her house/apartment a “home” She doesn't think of her place of residence as a nest and a refuge from the world.

But on the other hand, there is nothing prettier than large white wall with a single painting on it. When I had a bigger house, that is how I decorated it.

I think she wore black as a symbol of grief for the losses in her life.
I like your theory about Lena's all white apartment symbolizing emptiness in her life. I had never thought of it that way. But, looking at it from your perspective I agree that she didn't consider it a home!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Higher25
Currently Reading: Daily Pulse: the rhythm of the Tao
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-higher25.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Higher25 »

In my opinion, all what you guys are saying hold a point, but I think religion may be the reason. I didn't come across her religious background but our Muslim sisters wear black most of the time. The colour of the room could also mean anything or just painting. My opinion.
:D I believe in love
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

Lena could be suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder which often causes anxiety and a thinking that black or white is only one of two possible things in life, ignoring anything that lies in between. It's likely this condition was triggered by the issue with her children.
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MeganDJ »

Her decision to wear black could be because she still mourns the loss of her son and it is a reflection to others that she has not forgotten. The white in contrast could just be that she would like to lead an uncluttered and uncomplicated life moving forward and some say that white is a pure and clean colour that could promote a healing environment.
He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe - Marcus Aurelius
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

An interesting observation with the colors. I agree with you about the black color. It could mean that she is mourning for whatever she had lost. The white apartment is like a blank canvas. She wanted a fresh start.

Or the black and white can also be seen as something indivisible and viewed as a whole, similar to yin and yang. They seem like opposing forces that may actually be complementary. The black and white are like a reminder of Lena's life experiences, that all the good and the bad are interconnected and interrelated.
Mys_Trea
Currently Reading: Seconds to Live
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys-trea.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Mys_Trea »

B Creech wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 13:03 Lena wears black all of the time, yet everything in her apartment is white. I think she wears the black because of the son she lost, and because of estrangement of her other sons; and I think the white signifies a hope that one day her other sons will want to be a family again. That is what my thoughts are on this. What are your thoughts? Why does she wear black and why is everything in her apartment white? I would love to hear some more ideas on that!
I believe that Lena wearing black signifies mourning and sorrow at having lost her sons. It is often done in many cultures throughout the world. The apartment being all white is perhaps a sign of her being detached and adopting a cold outlook towards life. It is interesting to see how she compliments Maureen on the vibrancy of the colours in her home, possibly signifying that she yearns for a positive change and a warmer life. I think she is a strong woman for having been through so much, and still be open to new things. The author did a good job for layering the story with the colour factor as it gives us room to imagine all the reasons why they have done so.
"She remembered who she was.
And then the game changed."
Loads Rails
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zinda-lukman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Loads Rails »

I think Lena wears black to express her feelings about her son's death and to show that she is mourning. She uses white in her house to show anyone who enters it that she still has some hope.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

Well, I think she wears black to keep people off by portraying a reserved individual. Only the few people that make it to her house maybe the one's that can see her other side. My thoughts.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Slater678 wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 22:37 Lena could be suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder which often causes anxiety and a thinking that black or white is only one of two possible things in life, ignoring anything that lies in between. It's likely this condition was triggered by the issue with her children.
That's an interesting theory, I hadn't thought of that. She did begin to add color to her clothes as her relationship with Maureen and Kalayla progressed.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Post by Chipochashe »

I agree that Lena wears black because she is in mourning. She is taken by the vibrant colours in Maureen's apartment, so I think the white in her own apartment could be that she wishes for a clean slate. She has a lot of regrets from her past as seen from the way she only displays a few pictures in the apartment.
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
Kiki-Ogo-Oluwa360
Currently Reading: Budgeting 101
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Kiki-Ogo-Oluwa360 »

People wear black for different reasons. Due to the lost of loved ones in some culture, color preference or for what the color means. I think it could be due to her state of mind. Lena expression when she saw the painting in Maureen's house shows she appreciates colors and her house in white may be her own personality look.
Mr_Dark
Currently Reading: Preppers Medical Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Mr_Dark »

It may be that she likes black. But what I think is that it describes her pain and I believe that the white color may describe her emotions.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

Your observations are very interesting. I would second you that the dorminant use of the two colours symbolize an aspect in Lena's life. For example, her black attire could symbolize her inability to control what bas happened to her, yet her white surrounding symbolizes the peace that she has found in acceptance.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”