A Second Chance

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
dm1971
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Re: A Second Chance

Post by dm1971 »

I think that deep down, Lena caring for Kalayla is her second chance at being a mother. When Lena lost her two sons and husband and become estranged from her other sons, she felt as if she failed being a mother. Since she has a lot of free time on her hands, what could be stopping her from interacting with Kalayla, right?
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

I don't think it was a conscious decision. I think at the time it she genuinely wanted to help both mother and daughter. In time it became redemption for her past mistakes with her kids.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

david_martinez wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 23:06 I think that deep down, Lena caring for Kalayla is her second chance at being a mother. When Lena lost her two sons and husband and become estranged from her other sons, she felt as if she failed being a mother. Since she has a lot of free time on her hands, what could be stopping her from interacting with Kalayla, right?
It could be argued that Lena is growing through such a lonely phase of life with a train of thoughts. Visualize that scene where she sees Kalayla staring at the window and recalls how she could stare at the window wishing she could see Jimmy or Mikie.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Adebi
Currently Reading: Of Flame and Light (Weird Girls, #7)
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adebi.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Adebi »

While I don't necessarily think Lena saw kalayla as a second chance I still think it was the mother side of her that made her compassionate and want to help
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Adebi wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 03:03 While I don't necessarily think Lena saw kalayla as a second chance I still think it was the mother side of her that made her compassionate and want to help
To add up on this, I find Lena to be naturally kind and loving. She is ready to do anything to prevent Kalayla from getting herself in trouble. You can tell from how offended she feels when she sees Kalayla hanging out with Ray Ray.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

I think that it is possible for Lena to see Kalayla as her second chance at truly being a mother. Lena is human after all, and many humans, when they lose something or someone, will long for a second at that thing especially when they love that thing/person. Lena loves her sons deeply, so it is only human for her to want a second chance.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Christieee wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 07:52 I think that it is possible for Lena to see Kalayla as her second chance at truly being a mother. Lena is human after all, and many humans, when they lose something or someone, will long for a second at that thing especially when they love that thing/person. Lena loves her sons deeply, so it is only human for her to want a second chance.
In my opinion Lena also wants to prevent what happened to her from happening to someone else. It also adds into her wishing she could see her son. You can tell by how she speaks. She refers to Kalayla as a girl who had no more sense than a bug. She was stressed by her character. Especially when she saw her interacting with Ray Ray the street fall out. She knew Kalayla could get herself in deep trouble just as her sons did. That's why she keeps pushing forward to correct Kalayla and secure her future.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I think Lena sees that Kalayla and her mom need help from making the same mistakes that she did. She probably sees it more as trying to prevent history from repeating itself more than a second change. To her a second chance would be with her own sons.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Bertha Jackson wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 21:16 I think Lena sees that Kalayla and her mom need help from making the same mistakes that she did. She probably sees it more as trying to prevent history from repeating itself more than a second change. To her a second chance would be with her own sons.
Indeed, it's true. Lena is mentally disturbed by the current living conditions of Kalayla and Maureen. She spends time gathering facts about them and finally heads over to Lotta to listen to her opinion. It's then that Lotta inquires why she's so concerned about them and Lena clearly states that she didn't want them to go through the trouble like she had.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

Definitely. It is wonderful to be blessed with a second chance. This time she was able to make better decisions without the influence of an abusive husband looming in the background.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Twylla wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 09:52 Definitely. It is wonderful to be blessed with a second chance. This time she was able to make better decisions without the influence of an abusive husband looming in the background.
Even though Joey wasn't always in support of what Lena said, I believe she was hardly influenced to make bad decisions. She had a choice to leave him but she couldn't and nothing could influence her to. She therefore suffered the brutality that came with it.
Rave4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave4.html
Latest Review: Naked Truth by Carrie Hayes

Post by Rave4 »

I think Lena only responded how every mother should when the opportunity to show love to a child ( hers or not) presents itself
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Rave4 wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 02:51 I think Lena only responded how every mother should when the opportunity to show love to a child ( hers or not) presents itself
It also depends with an individual. Maureen's mother disowned her daughter because of a single mistake. This is a chance for Lena to recollect her missing pieces. It's not necessarily to feel connected or to get hope out of it, but to find herself and feel she did something worthwhile to impact a stranger's life. She points it out, "Here I was again, trying to help a child and failing. So, what was I going to do? Give up and walk away like I did before? I could tell myself Kalayla didn't want my help. I could tell myself she wasn't my blood kin, and I had no business butting in. I could not let myself give up in her the way I gave up on my boys. No Matter how bad my hand was, I had to stay in the game, even if I kept on losing. Because if I gave up, I wouldn't be able to live with myself."
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 13:45
AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 11:17 Yes. But she soon learns about their life struggles and she wants to be there for them because she had someone to be there for her when she needed them.
I like how she quickly learns about Kalayla's character just when she saw her walking in the street. Lena is so observant. I believe it's the reason she's able to connect with them.
Lena's motherly intuition has her connected with Kalayla. She learns of the difficulties Lena and her mother are undergoing and wants to be there for them. It can't be a coincidence.
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

B Creech wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 15:32 It is a possibility, however, if Lena sees it as a second chance I don't think she realizes that is what it is. I think she just wants to help Kalayla and her mom in any way she can, and in the process she and Kalayla form a special bond.
Then why is Lena just interested in Kalayla and not any other girl in the street? Why the specificity? I think she consciously wants to help out Kalayla and Maureen due to her past experiences with her four boys.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”