A Second Chance

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Re: A Second Chance

Post by Laura Mich »

Lena has had her undesirable experiences with her four sons. Kalayla's difficulties resonate with her and wants to make a difference and some positive impacts with Kalayla. She sees Kalayla as a second chance and wants to make amends.
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Drado_27 »

It feels like Kalayla is not a replacement for her sons, but a way for Lena to do something good, to fill the void in her heart.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Laura Mich wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 07:06
B Creech wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 15:32 It is a possibility, however, if Lena sees it as a second chance I don't think she realizes that is what it is. I think she just wants to help Kalayla and her mom in any way she can, and in the process she and Kalayla form a special bond.
Then why is Lena just interested in Kalayla and not any other girl in the street? Why the specificity? I think she consciously wants to help out Kalayla and Maureen due to her past experiences with her four boys.
Good questions! May she sees Kalayla around more often than other girls since her mom works so close. I agree the Lena helping Kalayla and Maureen is due to her past experiences with her own children.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Eunice Geres »

I don't think she sees it as a second chance to become a mother. I just think it's a motherly instinct engraved in her mind when she saw a child needs guidance.
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

Lena definitely saw helping Kalayla as a second chance at parenting. She feels that it was her job to keep Kalayla on the right path and I think that is because of her guilt. She couldn't overpower her husband and misses the opportunity to raise her boys as she saw fit. But, in the case of Kalayla she sees that Maureen isn't capable of raising without help and she is more than happy to make it her responsibility.
A person learns from their mistakes and Lena sure did.
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MeganDJ »

I think she somewhat feels guilty for the way in which she raised her own children and now sees the opportunity to "make things right" so to speak by helping out another family in need. I think she somehow feels that this would balance the Karmic books and something good could come of it.
He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe - Marcus Aurelius
femma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-femma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by femma »

Yes, I totally believe that, the friends Lena sees in Kalayla brings that reminiscence and closure to some deep wounds she has been having. It's another way to pour out those bottled feelings and emotions.
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

I don't think Lena realises it, but part of herself definitely sees this opportunity to help Kalayla as a second chance. Every human being projects a part of themselves in others, maybe she just saw herself in that girl or maybe it was just her maternal instincts to help, whatever it was I wouldn't cross it out that she was just looking for a chance to make it right and heal herself in the process.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Anna Dougherty wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 10:23 Lena immediately takes an interest in Kalayla because she reminds her of her children. It is clear how much Lena misses her sons due to how she dresses in black and has photos of them all around her home. Do you think that Lena sees Kalayla as a second chance to love and care for a child?
Yes, she might have. Maybe she didn't do it consciously but I think it's possible. I think we all grieve and adapt in different ways- maybe this is Lena's way.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Sminnich
Currently Reading: Through My Daughter's Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sminnich.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Sminnich »

I think she sees it as a second chance, but also a chance to help Kalayla go down the right path in her life. I frequently laughed when Kalayla and Lena interacted, especially that Lena could keep going in her life even after the abuse she suffered from her husband and the passing of 2 of her children.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

I agree that Lena sees another opportunity to act right by guiding Kalayla in the right way. She finds redemption in that and for me, I think she'z had a second chance to rewrite her story.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I don't think she began her relationship with Kalayla with the conscious motivation that this was a second chance to mother a child. Nevertheless, it did become a catharsis to release the guilt she carried for her relationship with her husband and their sons. At first, she only wore black and lived in an apartment she had painted white - afraid to face any emotions. Her relationship with Kalayla helped her to realize she still had two children she could mother. She reached out to her children and forgave herself for past mistakes.
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

Well I don't think Lena see Kalayla as a second chance, rather I agree with the reviewer who said that its just her motherly nature that is at play. I think she sensed Kalayla's struggle and just wanted to help her through it because that is what her motherly instinct urged her to do.
Echezonachukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echezonachukwu.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Echezonachukwu »

Well, I wouldn't say that Lena saw it as a second chance. Of course, Lena is a mother, taking care of a child she saw in need would obviously be her normal instinct.
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

Anna Dougherty wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 10:23 Lena immediately takes an interest in Kalayla because she reminds her of her children. It is clear how much Lena misses her sons due to how she dresses in black and has photos of them all around her home. Do you think that Lena sees Kalayla as a second chance to love and care for a child?
Naturally, women are drawn to children. Though she might see it as her second chance but i would just say it"s her motherly nature that is drawn to Kalayla.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”