A Second Chance

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Patag Ghosal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patag-ghosal.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Re: A Second Chance

Post by Patag Ghosal »

I feel that subconsciously Lena does feel that Kalayla is a second chance. However, she also definitely senses a deep connection with Kalayla and understands that she can help her.
engarl
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-engarl.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by engarl »

Maconstewart wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 15:20 I don't think she sees it as a second chance as much as just a chance to help a child she sees that needs guidance.
I agree with that. If there was anything to do with a second chance it would simply be a chance to be a motherly figure without Joey there as a manipulative and corrupting factor. But for the most part, I believe that's just who Lena was. With Joey when she was a mother, and without Joey when she was a grandmother, she was always someone who wanted to see children thrive and be happy and be safe, so it was natural for her to try to help Kalayla.
Pamela Bianca Mas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pamela-bianca-mas.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00TREI0F2

Post by Pamela Bianca Mas »

I think that in the beginning, she takes the opportunity to try and be a mother to her. But later realizes that its really not the same, caring for you own child and caring for others’. I think later on, she does it because once you’ve become a mother, it changes your perceptions. I think parents will always find fault in their way of upbringing their own children because they want to give the best that they could, but people have limitations.
Pamela Bianca Mas
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

Either consciously or subconsciously, Lena sees Kalayla as a second chance to raise a child. But she also comes to see Kalayla as an individual who is important to her and not just a second chance.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

Of course. Sometimes, there is this nudge to love, care, and pay attention to someone. It's true mother nature. It's understandable why such a relationship existed between the two women.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Personally, I think Lena considers helping Kalayla and Maureen as a redemption, whether she is conscious about it or not. She knows that her sons' futures are partially her fault, as she admits that she has done a bad job raising her boys. Now she is trying to give Maureen advice so that Kalayla won't become like her children, and Maureen won't become the second Lena. If it's just motherly love, she would have helped every misfortune children she met before and not just Kalayla.
Heidadel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Heidadel »

We all find shortcomings in our styles of parenting and Lena was no exception. There comes a time when we desire to be given a second chance to do things right. Lena got that second chance in Kalayla's presence in her life. Even though Lena could not undo her parenting style with her sons,she learnt from her mistakes and rectified through Kalayla.
moowshiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moowshiri.html
Latest Review: The Kings Death by Ed Cannon

Post by moowshiri »

Yes, I think so. Lena definitely sees Kalayla as a second chance to love and care for a child.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I don’t think she saw it as a second chance to care for a child necessarily. I think Lena was looking for someone to love and it became more fluid as time went on. Certainly, Kalayla reminded her of her sons, but I think it was the right time for her to come out of her period of mourning. I think she had a divinely appointed connection with Kalayla and Maureen. Lena had patience and the capacity to love difficult people. Over the years, she had learned how to read people and situations well and knew how to just be with someone and let them process their situation in their own way.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Formative Five
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JGretz-7 »

I think Lena initially just wanted to help out a fellow human being that she felt might be going down the wrong path. The fact that it pulled a lot of her emotions to the surface was healing, but also something that I think may have caused Lena to avoid building that relationship if she knew it would cause her so much pain in reliving the events of the past. Although I could be wrong on that one, as Lena may have been tired of just going through the motions of life and not living and feeling joy.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

I think her motherly instinct leads her to help Kalayla. This also is a chance for her to heal by caring for her, like her own child.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

There is a lot one can perceive from how Lena is behaving. Anything is possible. Guilt, loneliness, love, self-healing etc. I believe she is having trouble forgetting but also getting through a healing process and Kalayla came into her life to help her through.
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

Absolutely. Lena felt hopeless in raising her boys because she was often blocked from good parenting by Joey's harshness. Kalayla reminding Lena of her sons was no accident. She now has a chance to be dependable, kind, generous, loving, patient and so much more.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

Do I think she saw this as a second chance for herself? No, not necessarily. I think she just saw a family in need of help (a struggle, young, single mother and a little girl left way too much to her own devices). Because of her past experiences with raising her own family, she feels that she should help them however she could. If she saw it as some way to redeem herself, maybe it was only subconsciously. But I didn't get that.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
glubglub200
Currently Reading: The Giver
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glubglub200.html
Latest Review: Mr. Germ by Itzel Machado

Post by glubglub200 »

I think that in a way that's assumption is true because I don't understand why else she would go out of her way to be close to Kalayla. Maybe to just have a reminder of her kids or to not be so lonely anymore but also maybe to just help out a family.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”