Reconciliation

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Catie139
Currently Reading: Catena Aurea
Bookshelf Size: 12861
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catie139.html
Latest Review: The L.I.G.H.T. Seminar by Deacon Michael Wesley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Reconciliation

Post by Catie139 »

Kalayla's issues were definitely impacted by racism, but also by the fact that her father had died. How do you think the story would have been different had Jamal lived? Could reconciliation between the family have happened earlier?
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Interesting question. I don't know that Jamal would have any impact. He seems like solid and realistic man. I think that Maureen needed to be open to accept her family apology and the other side namely the father had to come to point where he didn't care what his wife was thinking. Her family side is left with regret to miss out to met a great man because of their bigotry. But those are the consequences we all face when we make a choice in our life that turns out to be wrong.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

I don't think so. If he were alive, I think her parents would still be hiding into thier resentments.
Catie139
Currently Reading: Catena Aurea
Bookshelf Size: 12861
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catie139.html
Latest Review: The L.I.G.H.T. Seminar by Deacon Michael Wesley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Catie139 »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 10:51 Interesting question. I don't know that Jamal would have any impact. He seems like solid and realistic man. I think that Maureen needed to be open to accept her family apology and the other side namely the father had to come to point where he didn't care what his wife was thinking. Her family side is left with regret to miss out to met a great man because of their bigotry. But those are the consequences we all face when we make a choice in our life that turns out to be wrong.
How true that our choices all have consequences. It sounded like Jamal really was a great man, and it was definitely a loss for Maureen's family. Thanks for your response.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Catie139 wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 09:56 Kalayla's issues were definitely impacted by racism, but also by the fact that her father had died. How do you think the story would have been different had Jamal lived? Could reconciliation between the family have happened earlier?
It would all depend on Maureen. She is Kalayla's mum, and a mother has a huge task of ensuring the sanity of the family holds in. Jamal couldn't have had a lot to change the story if Maureen chose not to accept him.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Laurina_Olowo wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 08:50 I don't think so. If he were alive, I think her parents would still be hiding into thier resentments.
You're right. One thing that's evident in this story is that Kalayla's mum is very secretive and only chooses to tell the background story when the time is appropriate.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 10:51 Interesting question. I don't know that Jamal would have any impact. He seems like solid and realistic man. I think that Maureen needed to be open to accept her family apology and the other side namely the father had to come to point where he didn't care what his wife was thinking. Her family side is left with regret to miss out to met a great man because of their bigotry. But those are the consequences we all face when we make a choice in our life that turns out to be wrong.
The fact that he didn't care what Maureen thought portrays that maybe Kalayla would have gone through bitter moments than she did when he wasn't there.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 00:51
The fact that he didn't care what Maureen thought portrays that maybe Kalayla would have gone through bitter moments than she did when he wasn't there.
I meant her father needed to stop caring what his wife thinks- Maureen's mother and seek his daughter forgiveness. In one of the chapters Maureen says that Jamal was very realistic when they started dating about him being black and her family not accepting him whereas Maureen expected not such a harsh reaction.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

AntonelaMaria wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 12:37
Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 00:51
I meant her father needed to stop caring what his wife thinks- Maureen's mother and seek his daughter forgiveness. In one of the chapters Maureen says that Jamal was very realistic when they started dating about him being black and her family not accepting him whereas Maureen expected not such a harsh reaction.
Judging from the approach used by Jeannie, Jamal must have found it difficult to talk to Kalayla about her forgiveness. It would have been easier to resolve the issues through Maureen. Things changed gradually as the relationship went through different phases.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I don't think reconciliation would have been any different if Jamal had lived because he was leaving it up to Maureen. I don't think he would have initiated anything on his own.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Bertha Jackson wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 20:44 I don't think reconciliation would have been any different if Jamal had lived because he was leaving it up to Maureen. I don't think he would have initiated anything on his own.
Indeed, his role as a father was shared with Maureen. But again, I wouldn't say that he's to blame for all the trouble that Kalayla goes through trying to find herself. From the beginning even when Maureen was with Kalayla at home, she was always hooked to painting or other errands. Kalayla says she wasn't bothered whether they ate late or the same meal for days. This shows that both Jamal and Maureen failed to create enough time and consideration into their daughter's welfare and self awareness.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

Sometimes it is great to end rather than to continue. His death stopped her of witnessing any of his parent sentiments.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Catie139 wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 09:56 Kalayla's issues were definitely impacted by racism, but also by the fact that her father had died. How do you think the story would have been different had Jamal lived? Could reconciliation between the family have happened earlier?
I don't know if it would have made any difference if Jamal had lived and reconciled with Maureen. I think Maureen's parents would have continued with their unaccepting attitude, which would have continued to cause pressure in Maureen's, Kalayla's, and Jamal's lives. I don't think things would have been any different.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Amara911
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amara911.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Amara911 »

I think if he was alive, there would be lot of resentments
Death was the best thing to happen, she got free of that resentment and the issue of racism.
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

Laurina_Olowo wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 08:50 I don't think so. If he were alive, I think her parents would still be hiding into thier resentments.
True. I think that the fact Maureen lost her husband and was left alone with raising Kalayla, deepened her family's sympathy for her. Maybe it was this sympathy that made them consider reconnecting with Maureen when her father accidently met Kalayla.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”