Stereotypes & Prejudice

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Stereotypes & Prejudice

Post by AntonelaMaria »

This book deals with many important and relevant subjects; motherhood, race, friendships, found families, sexuality, abuse, grief, regret, interracial marriage, guilt. Stereotypes, however, can influence our attitudes and behavior in ways that we are unconscious of. We see it in all of these three families. Stereotypes can cause deep harm even if nobody actively “intends” that harm. In order to expose stereotypes and to explore how they shape our interactions with others despite our best intentions, we first have to acknowledge their existence. There is also the idea of implicit bias; stereotypes or biases against groups of people that may be in our heads even though we do not want them to be.

What are some of the stereotypes or prejustice that you noticed within those subjects in this book? How do you think author dealt with them?
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Anna Dougherty
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-dougherty.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Anna Dougherty »

In the book, there is prejudice against biracial families and marriages. The author portrayed these prejudices very realistically and effectively.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

To my mind, portraying stereotypes and social stigmas is a very difficult task and it could get a lot of backlash. People tend to get offended when being calle out on certain patterns of behaviours that stem from prejudice or stigmas. I think that if the author managed to portray stereotypes and somehow expose them it deserves a lot of credit because it is not something easy to do.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

I'd say the first instance is age stereotyping. You can categorize it as passive. It occurs when Kalayla talks about Barzetti as being an old woman.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Anna Dougherty wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 10:17 In the book, there is prejudice against biracial families and marriages. The author portrayed these prejudices very realistically and effectively.
In this book, which moment of the prejudice against biracial families and marriages moved you?
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Ana Victoria2002 wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 09:34 To my mind, portraying stereotypes and social stigmas is a very difficult task and it could get a lot of backlash. People tend to get offended when being calle out on certain patterns of behaviours that stem from prejudice or stigmas. I think that if the author managed to portray stereotypes and somehow expose them it deserves a lot of credit because it is not something easy to do.
A good example that shows how Jeannie reveals prejudice is the moment where Kalayla, an 11-year-old girl, is paid a few dollars to watch over laundry at the Clean Duds Laundromat. She's too young for the job but poor enough to qualify. I'd categorize it as a form of Social class stereotyping.
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 14:57

A good example that shows how Jeannie reveals prejudice is the moment where Kalayla, an 11-year-old girl, is paid a few dollars to watch over laundry at the Clean Duds Laundromat. She's too young for the job but poor enough to qualify. I'd categorize it as a form of Social class stereotyping.
I don't see a stereotype problem with that. To me, it is the same as if I pay a teen to cut my grass. It teaches them responsibility and gives them some spending cash. At what age would you think that it's no longer an issue?
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Maconstewart wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 18:45

I don't see a stereotype problem with that. To me, it is the same as if I pay a teen to cut my grass. It teaches them responsibility and gives them some spending cash. At what age would you think that it's no longer an issue?
It all depends on the responsibility given and the risks involved. You can tell Kalayla is always alone in the Laundromat. The risks involved are higher for a young girl.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Due to racism, which is stereotyping, the grandparents missed a lot in their daughter and granddaugher's lives. That is something they will never get back.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Bertha Jackson wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 20:41 Due to racism, which is stereotyping, the grandparents missed a lot in their daughter and granddaugher's lives. That is something they will never get back.
Race is a very contentious issue that affects a lot of families. It's so hard to eliminate too. Maureen is disowned for the same reason. Her struggle as she tries to gather herself up also affects her daughter immensely. By Jeannie sharing Kalayla's story, there's a possibility that readers might change their outlook on this issue.
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

When I was a younger man, biracial couples were rare. Today, however, couples are more open and I feel much more accepted given the diverse make up within the world. Still, the love that a couple may feel for each other can be bitterly opposed by outsiders. Stereotypes continue. But with the approach taken by the author, as well as other voices that are being raised at this time, perhaps someday soon we will begin to see this nonsense disappear.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I find the current conversation to be very timely considering the Black Lives Matter protests. In America, we are currently wrestling with our own implicit biases and prejudices. For some people, this can be an eye-opening moment to make a positive change where as other can see it as a personal attack. As a member wrote earlier, the reactions of people when you call them out can be mixed and some people can get offended.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Maconstewart wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 18:45

for me too, it does not qualify as stereotypes, for me, an 11 year old is not too young to such chores. paying for this job would be a kind of pocket money. Even rich kids get pocket money for doing certain works.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Mstrtim wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 10:43 When I was a younger man, biracial couples were rare. Today, however, couples are more open and I feel much more accepted given the diverse make up within the world. Still, the love that a couple may feel for each other can be bitterly opposed by outsiders. Stereotypes continue. But with the approach taken by the author, as well as other voices that are being raised at this time, perhaps someday soon we will begin to see this nonsense disappear.
Well sain Mstrtim, authors have the power to influence people, and bringing such subjects into discussion would help to eliminate such stereotypes, slowly but certainly.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
tirsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tirsy.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by tirsy »

For me I saw family, nurturing kids. I think the author tried to cut off the stereotypes but the pressure was alot on how to take care of the kids.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”