Interracial Marriage

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Allen Cheque
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allen-cheque.html
Latest Review: Schmooze by Cody Lowry

Re: Interracial Marriage

Post by Allen Cheque »

Even in today's world, I still beleive that interacial couples and their children face a certain level of stigma from society. It's not as open and brazen as in the old times, but it's still there, lurking in the shadows. And yes, I believe it contributed to the painful experiences of Kalayla.
Latest Review: Schmooze by Cody Lowry
Rave4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave4.html
Latest Review: Naked Truth by Carrie Hayes

Post by Rave4 »

People are more enlightened now to know that a person's true worth is not in the colour of his or skin, so interracial marriage is gradually becoming a normal. Other factors like, poverty, single Parenthood, seem to have contributed more to Kalayla problems
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Rave4 wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 03:08 People are more enlightened now to know that a person's true worth is not in the colour of his or skin, so interracial marriage is gradually becoming a normal. Other factors like, poverty, single Parenthood, seem to have contributed more to Kalayla problems
Indeed, sensitisation to such issues has made the society more tolerant to interracial marriages. But also there are still families that won't allow their child to be married in another family not because of their color but because of their influence in society or poor background. It's worse enough that those who go against those norms are disowned or sent away. In my opinion, Kalayla's major weaknesses are as a result of single parent nurturing.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

I think it depends on the viewpoint of an individual whether interracial marriages are accepted or not. I think in general though, society has accepted interracial relationships. It seems as if the issues seen stemmed from another aspects of her life, and not directly from the interracial aspect.
Mys_Trea
Currently Reading: Seconds to Live
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys-trea.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Mys_Trea »

Interracial marriage is very much acceptable and happens quite a lot these days. It is still taboo in a lot of cultures around the world, but things are definitely different than they were before. Kaylayla's difficulties seem to stem from socio-economic factors, more than any other factor really.
"She remembered who she was.
And then the game changed."
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

While I don't see anything wrong with biracial marriages, I believe there could be a clash of cultures. Culture shock could lead to a lot friction in such marriages. It's impact on Kalayla's marriage cannot be ignored.
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

Interracial marriage is still a subject matter under discussion in some communities today. Thankfully, It is widely accepted today than the previous decades. Kalayla's struggles were not as a result of biracial, rather as a result of her father's death.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Interracial marriage is not a taboo and should be encouraged. Because it brings about interrelationship, harmony and Peace amongst these two different people. Sometimes, it's not always rosy because of discrimination, complex and some kind of treatment one may receive in this type of marriage.
kparikh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kparikh.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by kparikh »

Interacial marriages are more than acceptable. Some people do have a problem with it, yes but those are the people stuck living in the past. The fact that she was biracial could have contributed to her painful experiences, but to say that is the parent's fault is a horrible thing. They can't control who they love and they have the right to have a kid. In my opinion, if it doesn't affect you, don't think about it. If you wouldn't do it, then don't do it, but don't force others to comply by your idealizations.
Book Lover7
Currently Reading: Crown on Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover7.html
Latest Review: The Light of the Dying by Michelle Reynoso

Post by Book Lover7 »

Yeah, interracial marriage is acceptable. Marriage is between two people. If they are happy with each other and compatible with each other. Then there is no problem in interracial marriage.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

A friend of mine that I have known since middle school is biracial with her mother being from Guyana in South America and her father being white. She had an older brother who had a darker complexion while my friend had a much lighter complexion. I remember that when my friend, her brother, her mother and I were at the grocery store an older white lady gave a weird look to my friend's mother. I support all forms of love, but some people are not as receptive especially with all of the hate groups that have re surged in popularity.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

What world would we be living in if interracial marriages were not acceptable. We should be far beyond that consideration at this point in time. I am sure the differences of two people coming together can cause friction or issues, but that happens in any relationship no matter the nationality combination.
Higher25
Currently Reading: Daily Pulse: the rhythm of the Tao
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-higher25.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Higher25 »

Interracial marriage is very acceptable, I highly doubt that anything that should happen in life would come from because one is not of one race. No one gets to choose the race to come from or how to look. So therefore she being a product of an interracial marriage got nothing to do with her current predicament.
:D I believe in love
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 02:59 Kalayla is biracial. What's your viewpoint on interracial marriages, especially in the present day? Do you think it's acceptable? Could it have contributed to the painful experiences that Kalayla goes through?
Interracial marriages should be practised more now than ever. There is a crack across people from diverse race, what will mend those cracks is interracial marriage.
strange07
Currently Reading: Tomboy
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strange07.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by strange07 »

Yes biracial marriages are much more accepted now a days compared to previous decades. I think this insecurity feeling within kalayla has contributed partly to the painful experience she has undergone.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”