Interracial Marriage

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Interracial Marriage

Post by Serenity2010 »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 02:59 Kalayla is biracial. What's your viewpoint on interracial marriages, especially in the present day? Do you think it's acceptable? Could it have contributed to the painful experiences that Kalayla goes through?
I believe just like anyone's marriage or union, interracial marriages should be acceptable. Even though it is more acceptable today than any other time in American History, there are some groups or families who do not accept interracial marriages, through generational beliefs and traditions. This is the case for Kalayla, and her mother's side of the family. Kalayla's father's skin color was the only reason she did not get to know grandparents, cousins, aunts, and uncles, and so on. while other factors play into the difficulties of her life, such as poverty. These factors could have been prevented if her mother's family would have been more accepting. Many believe these situations do not occur today but they do. This makes the story more intriguing.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

I absolutely feel that it is acceptable. It upsets me that it is even still a question of acceptable or not for two people of different races to be together or marry. I feel that people in these relationships face more hardships than two people of the same race who are married. There are still many people who are judgmental over this topic. I believe it could have contributed to the painful experiences Kalayla went through.
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

Of course it is acceptable and I see it as one of the best marriages in the world. I don't believe it contributed to Kalayla's painful experience at all.
Nikhila Kulkarni
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The DrugTech Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikhila-kulkarni.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Nikhila Kulkarni »

From where I come from (India) this was a problem too, especially for girls. It was not that big of social conflict as that between African Americans and Americans. It was thought that the girl with a fairer complexion was a better "marriage material" than girl with a dusky or darker complexion. The latter one was feared or stigmatized to bring bad luck or to be of a corrupt mindset. That's not the case now, though not everywhere in the country. Racial differences are not causing the same amount of problems and with same intensity as they used to. I believe a race should never be in between love and marriage. And the choice should entirely be with the couple getting married.
Bisqwik
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bisqwik.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Bisqwik »

Racism exists. Now without pointing fingers or making claims, we can say that some communities or groups are just more racist. They fear changing what they see as being part of who they are. They were taught it, saw it, and told it was right by the people who shaped them as people. Facts don't matter to those people, and changes in society don't either. So interracial relationships are viewed by some as very wrong. In hugely fundamental ways. Against religion, or nature, or society, whatever excuse the fear manifests into. It could just be some people around who give glances, or it could be people who outright speak out against it. I've seen real life examples of both.
Zubayydah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zubayydah.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zubayydah »

Interracial relationships can thrive depending on the environment. I think more places are accepting and understanding to it as time passes. However, some people still find it hard to accept any kind of "outsider", be it racial, cultural or national.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

I myself am in an interracial marriage, (my husband is hispanic) so obviously I find it to be acceptable. That being said, my family wasn't always okay with it. My grandmother expressed distaste when i became pregnant with our first daughter, but has since come around and loves my girls very much.

This reminds me of Maureen's dad. He finally realized that life is too short to waste on a difference of opinion.

I do not believe that Kalayla faced many hardships based on her race. She did have a very strong personality. Maybe thats why she didnt have many friends.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 02:59 Kalayla is biracial. What's your viewpoint on interracial marriages, especially in the present day? Do you think it's acceptable? Could it have contributed to the painful experiences that Kalayla goes through?
I think it's perfectly acceptable, and some of the most interesting people are mixtures of different races. I am Asian American and I feel I have been blessed with two very different cultures. I realize not all people are as lucky as I have been and definitely was a factor in Kalayla's experiences and outlook.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

Of course it should be okay to have biracial bonds. The most important thing is that partners respect each other, no matter race, skin colour, or something else. This book proves it.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I think interracial marriages are not only acceptable, but the way to go, for a variety of reasons (story for another day).
Some unaccepting people prefer to stick to their own kind, or maybe fear ostracism from their communities though, so...
Being biracial might have contributed to Kalayla's hardships, but there were other factors as well, like being raised by a single parent and the poverty in particular.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I think today's society is more accepting of interracial marriages than before. People are becoming more open minded to the fact that love can be race blind. I think that numerous other factors other than being biracial affected Kalayla.
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

I think every marriage of two people in love is and should be acceptable. I know, there are plenty of those who believe that people from different cultural backgrounds or skin colors would eventually face hardships in their relationship, or that their children would. But in this global society, those differences are not as important.
As to biracial background being the reason for one's problems, it could be true, depending on the society a person lives in. For example, in South Africa, biracial marriages were considered a criminal offence and children had to grow up in fear (take Trevor Noah, for instance).
But I don't believe it's the case in this book.
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

Interracial marriage is absolutely acceptable. Unfortunately, I can see how an interracial marriage could have contributed to some negative experiences Kalayla has. While interracial marriage is widely accepted, there are still areas where it is not and, unfortunately, may never be accepted. I think other contributing factors that lead to Kalayla’s painful experiences include socioeconomic class and societal norms of the area she lived in.
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

The fact that kalayla went through a hard time in marriage, interracial marriage this days is very common and it works.
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Gift5 »

Yeah interracial marriages are acceptable in our world today, but in the case of Kalayla, it did contribute but it wasn't the major factor.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”