Interracial Marriage

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Re: Interracial Marriage

Post by Nkoo »

I think interracial marriages are acceptable because it's common these days, even though it contributed to Kalayla'a woes.
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

I believe on the broader perspective interracial marriages are more acceptable, but narrowing it down to the affectected individuals, their lives are still quite complicated. This is what I think has affected Kalayla being a mixed race child. It is perhaps much like a disability, it is known and accepted and provided for by legislation but all that does not make life easier on the affected individual, they are faced with difficulty still because they are 'different'. Financial constraints worsen the situation.
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Gift5 »

Interracial marriages are wildly accepted in this day and age, but I don't think it had much to do with the painful experience Kalayla had.
JulietBlack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietblack.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by JulietBlack »

People from diverse race marry and they don't have to deal with the problems Malaya faced. I think it's more of the person, values, security and self love. Interracial marriage seem to be rocking these days.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I don't see anything wrong with interracial marriages. It was hard to read that in modern-day people still face discrimination. Unfortunately, it is very sad. :(
Lydia Matson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Odyssey
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydia-matson.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Lydia Matson »

There shouldn't be anything wrong with interracial marriage. It is a very sad thing that children end up going through hardship because of it, though I think that was partially the case in Kalayla's situation. The issue is not with interracial marriage, however, but with the society that condemned it for no reason.
Swirliegirlie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swirliegirlie.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Swirliegirlie »

This was a major topic highlighted in the book. The unfortunes Maureen and Kalayla had to face due to the O’Rouke’s delayed way of thinking was so uncalled for and so past dated! I mean this story is during 1999/2000. Of course interracial marriage should be accepted and APPRECIATED!
kmteter26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmteter26.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by kmteter26 »

It’s absolutely acceptable. I don’t understand how or why anyone alive today or really ever would ever think it wasn’t. I hate how racist history was. It’s ridiculous that people were ever legally not allowed to have interracial marriages or relationships simply because their skin was different colors.
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

I think that interracial marriages are more acceptable now than in 1999 or 2000 when the events in the book occur. The marriage between Maureen and Jamal had a great impact on Kalayla's experiences.
Shirley-Tome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-tome.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Shirley-Tome »

Inter-racial marriages are more acceptable today and should have been from the start. I believe those who suffer most from inter-racial marriages are the children born out of these unions. The parents have their fair share of struggles.
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 02:59 Kalayla is biracial. What's your viewpoint on interracial marriages, especially in the present day? Do you think it's acceptable? Could it have contributed to the painful experiences that Kalayla goes through?
Fortunately, interracial marriages is more liberated from revulsion at present, although not completely. There's nothing wrong with marrying a person that's different in race and skin color to you, true love goes beyond appearance.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

In this era of instant messaging and online communication? YES, of course, it's acceptable!

I am one of those people who are in a long-distance, interracial relationship.
Was it difficult?
As long as both of you and your Significant Other make the relationship work, it won't be as difficult as it should be.
I don't remember someone who criticized me for loving someone outside my race, but they consider other factors like age and distance.
Hey, as long as both of you are happy together, why should others' opinions matter?
At the end of the day, only you and your partner sleep on the same bed and do most things together.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Mys_Trea
Currently Reading: Seconds to Live
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys-trea.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Mys_Trea »

Interracial marriage is accepted more in some countries than others. In South Africa, for example, there are places where such couples incite very negative responses. A biracial child will come across difficulties, yes. But if that child is raised to have a strong sense of self-worth, they can have normal, happy lives.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

There's nothing wrong with interracial marriages at all, the same way there is nothing wrong with marrying someone from a different religion, or marrying someone from the same sex. It's their personal choice and no one has the right to be judged is they're not hurting anyone.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

Of course it is acceptable. Kalayla as a novel does well to explore the prejudices and difficulties that can be faced as a result of this, but in terms of the character of Kalayla herself, I wouldn't say she ever particularly faced much trouble from anyone as a result of being mixed-race, rather, it was Maureen and Jamal who were in the relationship that faced prejudice, and mainly only from Maureen's family because of their specific attitudes

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”