Favorite Character

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Nelson Lyric
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-lyric.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
fav_author_id: 77547

Re: Favorite Character

Post by Nelson Lyric »

Lena is my favorite. Although life showed her numerous tragedy occasions, She still remained passionate.Hence the creation of an awesome relationship with her tenants. Moreen and Kalayla.
Jeff Winger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Jeff Winger »

Its hard for me to choose between Kalayla and Lena. There was so much growth in their characters and their behaviors throughout the story. It was quite moving to see how everything that happened to Kalayla had some impact on both Maureen and Lena as well. Both were my favorites to say the truth.
mustaharleena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by mustaharleena »

My favorite character is Kalayla because she gives a clear view of how young people think. Through her point of view, I could see and understand the mind of my own adolescent daughter.
Mr_Dark
Currently Reading: Preppers Medical Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Mr_Dark »

Kalayla takes the spot for me because she is mature as well as she is full of humour. Maureen takes the second spot for me.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

For the main characters, my favorite character was Kalayla. I found her honesty refreshing, even though she was a little inappropriate at times. I also loved how much she loved her mother, even if she had trouble showing it. I also found her to be super funny at times, like when she was worried Lena was going to die when she decided to start wearing color again.

For minor characters, I really enjoyed Rico. I liked that he gave Maureen space and took the time to try to get to know Kalayla, even though she attacked him the first time they met. Most men would run from a situation like that. I admired him.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I thought that Kalayla was very spirited. As an older woman who life hasn't been particularly kind to myself, I related to Lena, although she seemed much more pulled together than I am.
shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

Kalayla is my favourite. She seems like a very mature person, she endured so much at such an early age. Also, she has good humor too. Kalayla definitely is my favourite!
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

My favorite character is Kalayla. I couldn't even help but love her. She has this free spirit and she questions things in order to feed her curiosity. I laughed when she asked Lena a question that kind of pissed her off and Lena retorted that her big mouth will get her in trouble.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

mustaharleena wrote: 25 Sep 2020, 06:55 My favorite character is Kalayla because she gives a clear view of how young people think. Through her point of view, I could see and understand the mind of my own adolescent daughter.
Kalayla is overly random and arrogant in some scenes. When she charges at Rico, she didn't consider her vulnerability. Her first encounters with Lena were funny and creative at the same time. [laughing] So many traits for one character, I must say.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Jeff Winger wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 12:36 Its hard for me to choose between Kalayla and Lena. There was so much growth in their characters and their behaviors throughout the story. It was quite moving to see how everything that happened to Kalayla had some impact on both Maureen and Lena as well. Both were my favorites to say the truth.
If I were to choose between Lena and Kalayla, I would go for Lena. She kept me reflecting on the extent one person can go for the benefit of another. Her selfless nature stood out from the rest.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
engarl
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-engarl.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by engarl »

I really loved Maureen. I know she had her issues and she wasn't the picture perfect mom from the beginning of Kalayla's life even to the end of the book, but I could feel her effort and her passion and her love in the way that Jeannie wrote her chapters. I could relate more to her personality than I could to Lena or Kalayla and I think that plays a part in it too.

For minor characters, I really liked Rico. What a great man it is who is willing to give a young girl a job at your studio (who has the potential to be more work than helpful) and to pay for her dance lessons--not necessarily because of the relationship with Maureen, but also, I think, because of his compassion for Kalayla. All of that family was a wonderful addition to the book.
Peggy911
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peggy911.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Peggy911 »

My favorite character is Kalayla, maybe because I could relate very well to her story.
I fell in love with her character considering she is also the titular
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

Lena would have been my favorite, but there is something about Kalayla. I'm just struggling in the middle of these two anyway.
fancyjg
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fancyjg.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fancyjg »

Definitely I fell in love with Kalayla she if funny and intelligent. The fact that she brings together women in this book is absolutely stunning.
Wayne wayne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-wayne.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Wayne wayne »

I love Kaylala. She endures so much while still young, and teens can relate to her when they read the book. She's amazing.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”