Overall rating and opinion of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

I just finished reading the book and I truly loved it despite of the swearing and all. Reading about the three women, I realized there is good in every person no matter how they act. I most loved that the points of view in the book give us an insight into each of the women's minds. I got to understand each of them intimately and I loved Kalayla so much....no... I loved all three of them because each had something to teach me. I would recommend the book to others, if only they could find their way around all the swearing and profanities. All the same, I think this aspect gave the book a good 'Americanised' feel.
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

I thought this was a good read. There were some consistency issues that I had but overall the book was interesting. I liked that the woman all had different cultural and generational perspectives. It would be one I recommended to other people.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Morgan Mazellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Morgan Mazellan »

I really like this book because it covers so many topics. It talks about going against family because of differing beliefs, interracial marriages, and parenting. I also always grade a book based on the easiness to read and how easily I can get through it. This book was extremely easy to get through and flows very nicely.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

Absolutely loved the book! I gave it 4 stars. I wish there was more of it. I would have liked an epilogue showing 7-8 years later with Lena doing well with her own children and how Kalayla and Maureen have developed.
Miracle_Tessy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-tessy.html
Latest Review: Street Sweeper by Paul Drewitt

Post by Miracle_Tessy »

I just concluded Kalayla yesterday and I must say it was an amazing experience. It was so full of natural and funny conversations. The story had a lot of lessons too.
Priyanka Verma 4
Currently Reading: The Cruel Prince
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Priyanka Verma 4 »

I totally loved the book. It was my first time reading a book that isn't romantic. It was an amazing experience. I loved the story from the point of view of Kalayla. Her feisty personality and witty replies were enjoyable.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

I rated Kalayla 3 out of 4 stars, I thought the characters were very interesting and likeable, and the story explored a great range of topics, but I also felt the middle portion of the book got a little repetitive and dragged somewhat. Plus the very happy endings for all of the characters felt a bit predictable and at odds with the general message about life being complicated and often unsatisfying
Nivedita BookBee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivedita-bookbee.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Nivedita BookBee »

I was definitely invested in the book and especially in the lives of three main women of the book. It was a survival story and how even past tragedy the hope or joy can ne rediscovered and the idea of that makes me really happy. It's okay to suffer but you will definitely find right people at some right point of your life who will help you get through all your bad days.
Fletcher Weston
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eric-scott.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Fletcher Weston »

I really enjoyed this book but while reading it I also felt that it did seem a bit predictable at times and ended a little too neatly. On the other hand, with so many authors trained in creative writing using techniques to create mystery and anticipation, it was somewhat refreshing to read a story like this. While the happy ending was perhaps a little naive, it was nevertheless satisfying and uplifting to read.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I loved Kalayla so much I gave it 4 stars. The way everything progressed and the happy ending had me feeling calm and satisfied. Sometimes that's all a reader really needs.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Anna Montgomery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-montgomery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Anna Montgomery »

I gave Kalayla 2 out of 4 stars. I felt like most of the situations and resolutions were unrealistic. The book ended too neat and wrapped up in a nice bow. It could have dug deeper into situations.
Adego 002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adego-002.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Adego 002 »

Kalayla is a good book. First, I love how the author choose the storyline and Kalayla was one of the unique characters in the book. I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars since it talked about the effects of racism and the importance of family. The character development was also another aspect that was well included in the book.
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

Kalayla is an excellent book about family, prejudice and regrets. I absolutely loved reading this book and rated it 4 out of 4 stars. I felt so relaxed reading this story that I couldn't put it down. It's amazing how these three characters impacted each other's lives to make them better persons
AngieOdeh
Favorite Book: Whale of Wonder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angieodeh.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II

Post by AngieOdeh »

I really enjoyed reading Kalayla. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. The characters were so realistic and so human; it makes you want to get to the bottom of the story behind each one of them. The dialogues were natural and funny. It is refreshing to find a multifaceted story. The characters have their own voice. Each one has a lot of different personal issues, but they can come out with a solution for their problems; and it is all blended together in the story without sounding like it is a self-help book.
Andrea Francene
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrea-francene.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Andrea Francene »

Kalayla was a very nice and simple read. The main characters were a joy to read and finding out more about them as you read further along just makes you like them even more. All of them experience personal growth, even Lena!, so you also get to see new sides of them by the end. This was the author's, Jeannie Nicholas', first book so I'm looking forward to more from her.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”