Overall rating and opinion of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Croc_81
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-croc-81.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Croc_81 »

I think what’s fantastic about this book is that despite the fact I have never experienced any of the heavier things in the novel, I still felt them very deeply. It felt realistic and relatable- I felt like they were talking right into my ear! My review of this book was definitely positive.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

Jbcitygirl wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 04:22 Personally I found the book to be a slow burn. Nothing truly kept my attention and the unkind attitude the characters have towards each other left something to be desired.
It's a relief to read this. Amid the vast ocean of glowing reviews and comments of "if not for the errors, it would have been 4/4!", I had imagined that I might be the only one who felt this way.
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Formative Five
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JGretz-7 »

I thoroughly enjoyed Kalayla! I agree with other posts that the characters were incredibly realistic and that the multi-generational characters really helped to see the sense of community. I think that is something our current times could benefit from remembering. The characters looked out for each other, called each other out when needed, and formed familial bonds. While Kalayla may have seemed quite mature for her age, kids that are forced to take care of themselves and their elders, do tend to grow up faster. It definitely supports the "It takes a village to raise a child" saying.
Chiawa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiawa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chiawa »

It's quite interesting. Some aspects of Kalayla is relatable.
Responsibility has a way of making one mature. I also like the development of the characters and their relationship.
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

I gave the book a 3 out 4 because I really enjoyed this book but it was a bit slow at several points. My favorite part was the relationship between Lena and Kalayla. I loved seeing how they grew closer in each stage of their relationship. My absolute favorite moment was when Kalayla called Lena her grandmother. I would certainly recommend this book to others.
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

I loved the positive message in this book. I also really liked the main characters; Kalayla in particular is spunky and funny. I gave this book 2 out of 4 stars because of some stylistic and editing errors, but overall I enjoyed it and found it to be a heart-warming read.
Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Serenity2010 »

I started reading the book 3 days ago and I am almost done with it. I love it because this book has some plot twists that hit an emotional cord for me. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to read how a child can deal with real world issues that are still relivant today.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

I liked this book. It did drag a bit in places, but it really wasn't difficult to stick with. Every aspect of it was just so human, so relatable, and sometimes (for me) shocking. I liked that the story covered many different themes (family, relationships, child-rearing, motherhood, dealing with past mistakes and regrets, etc.) without making the book seem overcrowded. Jeannie Nicholas has written a lovely book that I imagine a lot of women (young and old) would enjoy. I gave it a rating of three out of four stars, however, because it did contain some errors, and I found one of the main characters' incessant use of the Lord's name in vain very offputting.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
Holly Bernier
Currently Reading: The Testaments
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-bernier.html
Latest Review: The Kahler Files #5 -- Maxwell's Silver Hammer by Eric Safflind
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Holly Bernier »

I just recently read and reviewed this book. I really enjoyed it. The author did a great job of making the characters feel real. The story of these characters' lives is interesting and sometimes intense. I would definitely recommend this book!
orlandoojhr
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by orlandoojhr »

The author's writing style is engaging, descriptive, and endearing. Readers are given a "birds-eye-view" of the relationships among these characters, seeing how they aid one another in addressing the struggles they are facing long before the characters realize this themselves. The storyline comes alive through narration given by each character, via three different points of view that alternate throughout the book.
Ogbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by Ogbara »

I think the book may be nice, but I did not read it because it's just not my kind of book, am only into sci-fi
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

First of all I think everyone deserves a Lena in their life, someone who won't give up easily on you. It was quite an emotional book for me as I can relate to Kalayla's life personally. The way she had to grow to be a strong independent woman shows a strong mental growth. It is a really good book to read and it is really realistic as that it is easily relable to life experience. The book deserves the maximum rating.
MyNameIsBatMan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mynameisbatman.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MyNameIsBatMan »

I really liked Kalayla. This book was well written. This book made me think about the racism and its place in our world. I usually don't read books like this. Mostly because, I have my own traumas and it's hard to read anything with domestic abuse. However, I have been meaning to read more about the black experience hoping to better understand how they feel. The one thing that bothered me about this book is Kalayla herself. I know she is supposed to be a bratty child, but I was wondering if this would be thought of as stereo typical? Because, you know, the angry black woman stereotype. I wonder if that is harmful or furthering that stereotype? I know that this stereotype isn't true, there's angry people everywhere, not everyone is an angry person though. What do you guys think?
aodonnell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aodonnell.html
Latest Review: Cristos Rising by B.T. Findley

Post by aodonnell »

I just finished reading this book. I enjoyed the story and the way the author wove each narrative together and how each character helped the others navigate the challenges they faced. It wasn't an "age knows everything" kind of story.
I did have a hard time really getting into the characters, though, because there was no apparent difference in writing from anyone's perspective. I think the author could have really enhanced the book by writing each character's chapters in a way that better reflected their ages and personalities. I thought they all felt the same.
aodonnell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aodonnell.html
Latest Review: Cristos Rising by B.T. Findley

Post by aodonnell »

MyNameIsBatMan wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 22:15 I really liked Kalayla. This book was well written. This book made me think about the racism and its place in our world. I usually don't read books like this. Mostly because, I have my own traumas and it's hard to read anything with domestic abuse. However, I have been meaning to read more about the black experience hoping to better understand how they feel. The one thing that bothered me about this book is Kalayla herself. I know she is supposed to be a bratty child, but I was wondering if this would be thought of as stereo typical? Because, you know, the angry black woman stereotype. I wonder if that is harmful or furthering that stereotype? I know that this stereotype isn't true, there's angry people everywhere, not everyone is an angry person though. What do you guys think?
This is an interesting question, one I hadn't considered while reading it. I think Kalayla's attitude is more representative of having an absent mother, thereby being allowed to run wild and having no consequences or moral/ethical training and consequences. We see as she starts spending time with Lena and Lotta and other adults, her behavior is brought to heel, a little bit at least. That said, I could also see how it could appear that Kalayla has a chip on her shoulder because she is half black and half white. However, I didn't see in the book where that was a prevalent issue she faced outside of her mother's family.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”